Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:43 AM

791 posts, read 2,959,137 times

Advertisements

I have recently started looking into Idaho County, specifically Grangeville.
We are looking for a rural area that has beauty, water, and land we can grow our own food on.

What can you tell me about the area?

Does the sun shine any more in Idaho County than CDA?

If you live there, do you like?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 11:48 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Hi, RWB...
There's not much in Idaho County besides Grangeville. Some real small towns, and all the rest is mountains, more mountains, rivers, and a few twisty roads with 'interesting' passes. Rich in history, but not a lot going on.

Grangeville is small. The entire county has only 15,000 people in it. The farming there is good around Grangeville, but the winters can be harsher than some other places in N. Idaho due to the being close to the mountains. Jobs are pretty limited unless you are a forester.

I don't know how sunny it is, but it's probably sunnier than C D'A or most of the panhandle. White Bird Pass takes you up to the N. Idaho plateau, and Grangville is at the bottom of the pass. The pass elevates about a mile from top to bottom, I think.

I know a good banjo maker who lives there- he's an ex-cop, I believe, and likes Grangeville. Even thought the county has only one stop light, there seems to be enough there to keep him happy.

Check out the Grangeville Chamber of Commerce website.
Grangeville Idaho Chamber of Commerce (http://www.grangevilleidaho.com/grangeville-chamber-home-page.html - broken link)

Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 PM

791 posts, read 2,959,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Hi, RWB...
There's not much in Idaho County besides Grangeville. Some real small towns, and all the rest is mountains, more mountains, rivers, and a few twisty roads with 'interesting' passes. Rich in history, but not a lot going on.

Grangeville is small. The entire county has only 15,000 people in it. The farming there is good around Grangeville, but the winters can be harsher than some other places in N. Idaho due to the being close to the mountains. Jobs are pretty limited unless you are a forester.

I don't know how sunny it is, but it's probably sunnier than C D'A or most of the panhandle. White Bird Pass takes you up to the N. Idaho plateau, and Grangville is at the bottom of the pass. The pass elevates about a mile from top to bottom, I think.

I know a good banjo maker who lives there- he's an ex-cop, I believe, and likes Grangeville. Even thought the county has only one stop light, there seems to be enough there to keep him happy.

Check out the Grangeville Chamber of Commerce website.
Grangeville Idaho Chamber of Commerce (http://www.grangevilleidaho.com/grangeville-chamber-home-page.html - broken link)
Thank you! I have just started researching the area and there doesn't seem to me much info. floating on the net about it.

It looks really beautiful in some parts from the pictures I have seen.
I did read that it had one stop light, I don't think I have ever been through a town with one stop light.

Good to know about the farming.

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:04 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Hi, RWB...
Idaho County only has one stop light! (It's probably in Grangeville.)

Old 02-19-2010, 11:53 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
It is in Grangeville. I've been stopped by it.

My two cents: I echo everything BanjoMike said above. Grangeville is located in an area known as the Camas Prairie. I do believe it is sunnier than CDA. Also colder, with more extreme weather. I have experienced snow in late May on the Prairie. And, I was not in the higher elevations. I find Grangeville to be a pleasant little town. It is the only real shopping area for about 100 miles. Then next closest is Lewiston. I know many people that commute from the various Camas Prairie towns to Lewiston to work.

I think the area is beautiful, with some nice mountains nearby. Rivers and a small, but very nice lake are near. You will need to drive an hour or so to get to most of the nice outdoor attractions.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 AM

5 posts, read 11,777 times
I moved to Grangeville 2 years ago and found it a welcomed change. Grangeville does not have big-box stores; night-life; commuter flight services or the other amenities that larger towns have. So if that is something you need to have readily available, Grangeville might not be the best fit.

What Grangeville DOES have: beautiful scenery; wildlife, outdoor activities (fishing, hunting, camping, white-water rafting; four-wheeling); friendly, no non-sense folks and a slow pace of living.

Specifics, as of Fall 2012: Grangeville has 2 grocery stores, a hardware store, a couple farm supply stores, a small general merchandise store; a small sporting goods store; a couple clothing stores; a pharmacy & two small hospitals in the area; a couple espresso places; an elementary/middle school and high school with an active sports program; a small library; a gym that has offers several programs (Zumba, step aerobics, spinning, etc), a fabric/quiliting store that offers classes; one car dealership/shop; several restaurants (a Mexican, Chinese, standard fare); one theater and a drive-in. It has a satellite for a state college (LCSC) and offers some good non-academic classes; a progressive monastery nearby that sponsors many retreats as well as a local history lecture series in the fall; historical and genealogy groups, etc. We have a small farmers market in August & September; Border Days celebration/rodeo in July; and weekly music in the park in July.

Snow is possible from late Sept-June; however, we tend to have more rain from from April to June than snow. We have mountains on 3 sides and we overlook the Camas Prairie. Being from the midwest, I was accustomed to below-zero winter temps---fortunately, we don't seem to get the extremely cold temps here. But we do get snow.

Farming; the Forest Service; logging; and to a lesser degree, tourism, are the big industries here.

Hope that gives you a decent overview from a new 'local.'

Old 10-22-2012, 06:22 AM

9 posts, read 13,235 times
I love Idaho, [Boise, not so much anymore; it's population is shifting, and there is an up-tick in crime].
I live here part of each year, in a small village with a population of about 10,000. The demographic is overwhelmingly Anglo, a combination of conservative, + informed, individualistic free thinkers, the latter with whom I share commonality of thought and life-style.
There is a fairly large population of Latter Day Saints, a member I am not, but find them highly ethical, amiable,and helpful of others in need whether one is of their faith or not. I have not been pressured to convert
We have virtually no crime, a small police force manages, the fire department is augmented by volunteers, and our schools are top notch, most grads accepted to good universities, a few major in forestry, others remain on trans-generation owned family farms. We are very much community focused. When a service is lacking something, we band together and provide. I.e., more musical instruments were needed in the schools; we, the citizenry, bought them without question.
For the most part, with the exception of Boise, small town Idaho is safe, quiet, indescribably gorgeous, wild, and scenic, yet serene. One can find peace much needed here. Nature abounds, and one lives in its midst, or if not, it's minutes away by automobile. If you enjoy mountain and river sports: backpacking, rock climbing, summiting, exploring, hiking, skiing, fly-fishing, snowboarding, x-country skiing, sledding, white water rafting, Idaho is your Nirvana.
Game hunting is popular, but people eat what they kill. It is not a macho blood sport. We have many different species of deliciously edible game birds. My grandmother was a crack shot who passed along her skill to me. We always have a freezer full of guinea hen, geese, ready to thaw and prepare for any occasion. Goose is on the Xmas menu every year.
The schools here teach old style three R's, not "Afro-American" or"Latino" history," "self-esteem," or "collectivist "One World" Saul Alinsky propaganda currently being pushed on our youth in the lower 48. Students salute the flag, sing the National Anthem, and take turns each day reading a brief inspirational lesson or reciting a poem before the first morning class commences. The readings I've heard sounded somewhat Walden-esque, which I found struck the right balance.
Perhaps Thoreau is a popular source.
Most of the students are fascinated with Idaho's unique volcanic geological features and the history of the state.
As for the state's Indians. They tend to self-segregate on the Res. Once in a while, a few will come into town. No problem unless alcohol becomes involved.
In this little village, people actually know each other and take care, yet I do not feel they are nosy, or invasive of my personal boundaries. One's privacy is respected.
To repeat: I love Idaho

Old 10-16-2013, 04:13 PM

25 posts, read 113,589 times
Be sure to check out the laws and ordinances in Idaho County. We moved to Kooskia, which is in the Clearwater River valley about 25 miles north of Grangeville in 2004. It is definitely beautiful but it is also BUYER BEWARE. The homes in the County aren't built to any code and the only inspections required are electrical and water related. We bought 10 acres in the Quailwood Estates about 2 miles north of Kooskia on the back road between Kooskia and Kamiah. The weather here is very hot and dry in the summer and it gets cold in the winter but not usually a lot of snow. The fishing and hunting is great.
We moved here for the peace, quiet and clean air and had that until Feb 20, 2009 when the State of Idaho and Idaho County allowed a huge rock pit to go in a mere 250 yards from our home. It was for Knife River to obtain gravel for a huge project to shore up US HWY 12 to make it able to handle the Mega Loads. Deatley rock crushing out of Lewiston, ID ran what I believe is the largest portable rock crusher and did blasting up to 24 hours a day for 10 solid weeks. It was the most horrible experience I have had in my life and has damaged our health.
Neither Idaho County nor the State of Idaho will enforce the EPA's noise or dust laws. Anything to do with mining comes first. The noise levels were louder than the machine shop my husband worked in for 30 years. The only way you MAY be safe here is to live within a city's limits or have 160 acres and build in the middle. We did not get much sleep during this and while it was here and running had absolutely no rights except to leave our own home for which we pay property taxes on.
Consider carefully if looking at this area.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:20 PM

3 posts, read 14,770 times
Idaho county is great. I moved here about 15 years ago. I absolutely love living here.

Less government interference in your daily life than most places.

Be aware that, for the most part, there are no zoning or building codes. (I do believe that there are land use and building regulations for the area in and around Grangeville.)
YOU must do your due diligence before buying property here.
The government is not going to hold your hand and watch out that you don't make a poor choice.

Out in the county ('unincorporated areas') policing is minimal. Idaho County Sheriff Office is lightly staffed, and they have to handle a very large area. You are largely on yoiur own. In a public meeting, our Sheriff advised that 'everyone should have a least one box of cartridges for their pistol.'

If I were to call 911, I would expect at least an hour before a deputy can arrive. And the local all-volunteer subscription based Fire Department will take at least 30 minutes to get a truck here.

The facts of life living in the country.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,359 times
looking to move to kooskia.............. is this mine still operating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho