Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 09:10 PM

634 posts, read 2,348,616 times

Advertisements

I found this article and thought it might open up some discussion about the higher education system in SE Idaho:

Does Eastern Idaho need a community college? | KIDK CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Idaho Falls - Pocatello - Blackfoot, ID - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Blackfoot - Idaho | News (http://www.kidk.com/news/84820582.html - broken link)

Granted, I am affiliated with ISU and of course feel that they have many great programs and opportunities, but universities (and I mean everywhere, not just in SEID) don't always meet the needs of students who may be returning after a lapse, students who did not have strong high school scores, and those who just can't afford it. Community colleges offer a great bridge to move on to the university level, to get an associate's degree in several trades, or just for general knowledge for the public.

One of the best teaching experiences I ever had was teaching intro astronomy at a community college several years ago, because almost every student I had (of about 20) were there because they enjoyed the subject and wanted to learn, not to fill a requirement. And the students I had came from all walks of life - 18 year-olds to a 65+ y.o. grandmother.

I realize (and the article acknowledges) that here in I.F. we have the Eastern Idaho Technical College, but they seem to be more career-oriented, which of course is all well and good, too.

If they had the proper facility & means, Blackfoot would serve as a great location for a community college. Being located half-way between the two of the largest student bases in SE Idaho would be a great advantage. As an former educator (and owner of several student loans), I am all for students getting the basis for a college education at a fraction of the cost of a university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 10:18 PM

191 posts, read 272,987 times
I completely agree. Having a community college would be a great thing for SE Idaho.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:48 PM

634 posts, read 2,348,616 times
Thanks, Larz.

No other comments from the SE Idaho faithful?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:24 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Lightbulb Widely Discussed in the Past

Breer23,

This has been a hot topic for many years. I respectfully disagree that Blackfoot would be ideal for a community college.

Former Idaho Falls City Councilman, Joe Groberg, did his research for either his Masters or Ph.D. on this subject. There are a lot of reasons why it didn't happen or why the state of Idaho won't advance EITC to Community College status.

One was BYU-Idaho (when it was Ricks College) was originally suppose to be in Idaho Falls on 17th Street. At the last minute it was moved to Rexburg. BYU-Idaho still had a strong presence in Idaho Falls renting essentially a bldg for people to take classes. Others commuted to Rexburg. When it was Ricks College, it was a two year school.

Voters have voted this proposal down, without the state designating funds.

It is a good discussion point, and certainly one that has had a tremendous amount of research. I absolutely believe there is the need and it wouldn't take much to make EITC into a Community College. No one says all classes have to be in one location.

Just some history about the subject. It will be interesting to see what others say.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho