Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:21 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,917,539 times

Advertisements

Kstorts. You can do it. DH's family followed us up to Idaho a year later. My family is mostly gone. I think you are doing the right thing coming with money in your pockets. It is a different lifestyle here. And we first moved to Clayton from Sacto area. Clayton population 39 then. LOL So we never considered a larger town like CDL. But you have a family to feed and a business to do. We basically retired at 35 and 45 and took odd jobs just to have something to do.

I have only been back to CA 4 times in 24 years and one trip was a cannon ball run to pick up a bobcat. We were only there long enough to get there load up and get out. Do not plan on ever going back again. No reason.

Hoping you have a safe trip. Good thing you are getting out before the heat hits. UHG we moved in July.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 01:06 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,433,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstorts View Post
Hahaha, I am laughing at myself Chris!! I can't imagine how stressful that must have been!!! Your home looks beautiful, I couldn't get a great look- but from what I could see your porch is awesome!!

I think I need to write all these routes down and see how I can get my gps to give us the same route...LOL. (sometimes the stupid thing has us go odd routes to easy to get to places...).

My hubby and I have been talking about doing what you have done for the past 10 years since we got married (getting a piece of property away from everything and putting a modular home on it). We have been trying to get out of California since we were 20, it seems surreal that it is finally happening!!!

...I am at the hard part right now...saying goodbyes to the friends and family we have here...emotionally draining!
Been there too.. It took me over 12 years to actually move here.. Been wanting to move here since we first visited in 97... Wish I could have done it then... It would have been great to finish raising my son here. Now he's 20, but loves it here and has been coming here for years on trips.

Good luck! You will miss some things, and people but you can always visit! The trade off is more than worth it IMO... Bout the only thing I miss is In & Out burgers!!

Old 04-27-2010, 02:28 PM

102 posts, read 337,586 times
Chris- Yes!!! I am sooo glad to be getting out before summer hits!! We have our move date all planned out, it definitely wasn't randomly picked (there is a convention we will be working in CdA in June, and we need to make sure we have everything ready to go in the shop first). That is awesome that you two were able to retire so young!!!

Trace- I think the trade off is definitely worth it! I have read some great advice on here about expectations...I don't remember who says it all the time, but someone on these boards posted something about "wherever you go, there you are", so, I went ahead and made the changes I wanted here to make sure that making those changes wouldn't affect my desire to move...and then it was more apparent that those things I changes were only the icing, and there was more of a need to get out than a want...(I feel like I am not making sense...LOL).
I haven't had in and out in a while. I could always stop through one on my way for you, I imagine those little fries would really taste like toothpicks by then though, hahaha.
They have carl's jr, and taco bell...so, my needs have been met! hahaha

I can't believe I only have 2 days left...I am definitely finding myself being more sentimental about certain things as it is all coming to an end here (I cried when picking up my son from school on his last day....he's only in 1st grade, and I know he'll adjust to a new school easily...I guess I am just not good at that whole "goodbye" thing!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:11 PM

27 posts, read 81,081 times
Kstorts,
I want you to know I'm one jealous woman!!! I so want to move, but alas, I must wait a bit longer. My 'someday' will come... someday!! Good luck on the move, be safe and maybe I'll drop in for a visit in June when my husband and I come to Idaho for a visit. CDA is one of the places we'll be going to.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:54 AM

Schoolbusdriver- LOL, your someday will come, and I am betting it will be sooner than you realize!! Time goes by so quick! Definitely stop by in June- it would be great to meet you!

...tomorrow is the big day...I can't believe it! We are getting the moving truck today, and loading it up, and leaving at 6am tomorrow morning. I heard that 395 and 84 are having severe weather warnings but checked all the towns near those freeways and they all have clear weather this week...so I am hoping those weather warning are for areas we will NOT be in!! (Perhaps wishful thinking, but I am hoping anyway!!) I am just really hoping that leaving at 6am tomorrow morning will give us plenty of time to get there around 3pm on Friday! (We are coming from the Modesto/Sacramento are, sot SoCal).

Hope everyone is have a good day! =)

Old 04-28-2010, 01:14 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,433,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstorts View Post
Schoolbusdriver- LOL, your someday will come, and I am betting it will be sooner than you realize!! Time goes by so quick! Definitely stop by in June- it would be great to meet you!

...tomorrow is the big day...I can't believe it! We are getting the moving truck today, and loading it up, and leaving at 6am tomorrow morning. I heard that 395 and 84 are having severe weather warnings but checked all the towns near those freeways and they all have clear weather this week...so I am hoping those weather warning are for areas we will NOT be in!! (Perhaps wishful thinking, but I am hoping anyway!!) I am just really hoping that leaving at 6am tomorrow morning will give us plenty of time to get there around 3pm on Friday! (We are coming from the Modesto/Sacramento are, sot SoCal).

Hope everyone is have a good day! =)
GOOD LUCK KAT!! See you the other side!!

BTW, Im good. And a 1000 mile old animal burger would be bad..LOL>...

Old 04-29-2010, 07:02 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,917,539 times
KStorts. Be safe on your trip.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,570 times
Good for you!

You will love it. My family is in love with our new home in North Idaho. We finally escaped Cali, and are living in Post Falls, just outside CDA.

People are wonderful. In our 1st week, we made good friends with both our neighbors, and we help each other out. My daughter has adjusted well, and tells me she is a 'country girl' now. Ha! (we bought a small ranch, 5 acres, neighbors have cattle, horses, and goats)

Some from Cali may get a culture shock, but these are my people, that I could not find in cali. We are into fly-fishing, guns, and politically very conservative/libertarian.

I, and my family have found our home we have wanted for years. My wife found a good job locally, and I currently work on the road probably 5 months out of the year. This summer getting ready to go into business, and stop the traveling.

Kootenai county, and the surrounding area, will truly inspire you. If you like the outdoors, everything is here.

If you folks make it, drop me a message, I'll take you fly fishing on a nice spot of the river. Long dirt roads to get there, and worth every minute of the trip!

-Chris

Old 05-05-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steak View Post
Good for you!

You will love it. My family is in love with our new home in North Idaho. We finally escaped Cali, and are living in Post Falls, just outside CDA.

People are wonderful. In our 1st week, we made good friends with both our neighbors, and we help each other out. My daughter has adjusted well, and tells me she is a 'country girl' now. Ha! (we bought a small ranch, 5 acres, neighbors have cattle, horses, and goats)

Some from Cali may get a culture shock, but these are my people, that I could not find in cali. We are into fly-fishing, guns, and politically very conservative/libertarian.

I, and my family have found our home we have wanted for years. My wife found a good job locally, and I currently work on the road probably 5 months out of the year. This summer getting ready to go into business, and stop the traveling.

Kootenai county, and the surrounding area, will truly inspire you. If you like the outdoors, everything is here.

If you folks make it, drop me a message, I'll take you fly fishing on a nice spot of the river. Long dirt roads to get there, and worth every minute of the trip!

-Chris
Trace & Shades (Chris)- Thank you both, we had an uneventful trip!!! It was smooth, and not even as close as i had made it out to be!! LOL

Steak (Chris)- Thank you so much- I've never been fishing before, so starting out fly fishing sounds awesome! hahaah Post Falls is beautiful too, the whole area is!

I can definitely understand what you mean- we didn't fit in with the Californian attitude, people are soooo much nicer here! This feels like home to me.

We loooooooooooooooooooooooove it up here!!!

It is so beautiful...I am so excited to be able to go for walks and stuff on the trails outside..The weather has been pretty back and forth, but luckily it is my kind of weather so I am enjoying every minute of it !

We are about 50% unpacked, got our shop opened up too! The only thing we really have left is getting a shop number and some art for the walls...other than that, we have been pretty busy getting stuff done!!! The kids love it here too!

...I had a couple of new friends visit the 2nd night we were here, and they gave me some tidbits...my favorite is learning that if I see a Moose i cannot pet it (and yes, i would have been that idiot trying to do that). Apparently they aren't nice and are aggressive. hahaha.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:55 PM

27 posts, read 81,081 times
Glad you made it safely!! I was hoping you would...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho