Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:53 AM

64 posts, read 261,438 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm staying out of the I-5 corridor. I've been to Boulder and like it but prices are too high and rattlesnakes all over. As you can see, I don't like rattlesnakes. That rules out most of WY and CO. I've narrowed my focus to Coeur d'Alene or Moscow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 08:18 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebigs View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm staying out of the I-5 corridor. I've been to Boulder and like it but prices are too high and rattlesnakes all over. As you can see, I don't like rattlesnakes. That rules out most of WY and CO. I've narrowed my focus to Coeur d'Alene or Moscow.
Wow, the only place I've ever seen rattlesnakes in my entire life was somewhere on I-40 in CA between Barstow and Kingman. Not something I think about much.

Good luck to you Uncle.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:48 AM

464 posts, read 1,111,092 times
Rattlesnakes are abundant in California.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 AM

Keim, if cost weren't an issue, would you rather live on acreage near CDA or Moscow? I think you've seen pictures of my land in Moscow. Here are a few if you haven't:

Old 04-09-2010, 11:51 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
I generally think the CDA geography is prettier. Nice mountains and an awesome lake. Lots to do in the outdoors.

But I'd take Moscow to live in or near. Let me explain:
1. I simply don't like the size of CDA. I'm a small town guy. Moscow meets my 5 minute rule (Large enough to have everything I need as far as entertainment, food, etc), yet small enough that I can drive from the center of town and be at the city limits in 5 minutes.
2. I think that as CDA has grown they have done a ****-poor job of city planning. And I believe it will continue to grow rapidly: Many people are drawn to nice lakes. I am not.
3. I like what the presence of two major universities does for our community. Great source of culture and employment.
4. 5 minutes drive out of Moscow and I am in very serious country.
5. Minimal traffic and crime in Moscow.
6. Moscow has lots to do in the outdoors, and all that CDA has to offer is only 75 miles away. Name something that people like to do outdoors and it can be easily accessed from Moscow (except the ocean!). Hiking, check. Fishing, check. Hunting, check. Skiing, check. Rafing, check. etc.
7. I like Moscow's proximity to both CDA and Spokane. Both are easily reached in 90 minutes. They make a nice day or weekend trip for when I do want the offerings of a larger city.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:17 PM

Thanks Keim. You and I think alike. Moscow still seems more authentic Idaho to me. I like the Universities, the food coop, farmer's market, lack of crowds or big city stresses and proximity to CDA. Heck it wouldn't be that big a deal to keep a boat on the lake for the Summer and make weekend trips. I'd like to see Moscow have a restaurant/bar that caters more toward the adult but I guess adults in Moscow are more family oriented and don't desire nighttime entertainment. Maybe I'll open such a place I appreciate your thoughts.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:19 PM

Keim...another question. Why does Moscow have 54% men and 46% women? That's one of the largest skews toward men and the opposite of CDA. As a single guy, that's a consideration for me.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:21 PM

I forgot to mention the coop and farmers market. Love them both.

From your description above you may want to check out the following two wine bars:
Nectar in Moscow
The Old Post Office in Pullman.

Lots of people keep a boat on the lake, or the river in Lewiston.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebigs View Post
Keim...another question. Why does Moscow have 54% men and 46% women? That's one of the largest skews toward men and the opposite of CDA. As a single guy, that's a consideration for me.
I have no idea. I've never noticed an imbalance, or heard of any friends having a hard time finding women.

Perhaps the UI skews the numbers? Two of their largest departments are forestry and engineering.

Be interesting to hear others thoughts on this.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:25 PM

27 posts, read 81,138 times
Very interesting conversation between the two of you. If you don't want that land in Moscow, I'll take it (depends on price). I live in Oregon, south of Albany a little ways. It's very Californicated here... however, one of my nicest neighbors was from California. We (my husband and I) are wanting something different. We would love to have some land out in the middle of nowhere. The only requirements I have for a town is that they have a post office and grocery store. I cook all our own meals so eating out isn't an issue for us. Jobs, on the other hand are, as neither my husband nor myself are close to retirement. A small farm would be ideal, or at least something we can do to make some money to live on. We don't require much... Hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, riding 3 wheelers, laying on the ground watching the clouds roll by, that's what we like to do.... Idaho sounds great!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho