Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:52 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
I know they are not illegal to own, but are they illegal to carry concealed?
I think technically even a pocket knife is illegal to conceal, but I've carried a switch blade around at various times, and was never worried about getting in trouble for it. I'm sure if you get picked up for another crime, they might tack on a concealed charge, but for an everyday citizen, that type of thing is pretty common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 01:08 PM

464 posts, read 1,111,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
I think technically even a pocket knife is illegal to conceal, but I've carried a switch blade around at various times, and was never worried about getting in trouble for it. I'm sure if you get picked up for another crime, they might tack on a concealed charge, but for an everyday citizen, that type of thing is pretty common.
I felt the same way. I have a short 3-4 inch tactical blade, but I call it a utility knife. I, ah, use it to open boxes and stuff. Some boxes are thick, so I, ah, have to keep it so razor sharp that its almost surgical. lol

Of course, I don't ever foresee needed to use a knife or gun in self defense...it's such a rare event. The one a million already happened in my family so I figure I'm probably not "due" for something of that magnitude - from a strictly statistical standpoint. Considering I also don't go out of my way to make enemies or have any contact with "seedy" characters.

I think of being armed as a protection against the "Gravest of Extremes". A good book about gun ownership was of similar name to that.

However....

The precentage of risk is significantly higher here in urban California than it would be in urban Idaho. Lots of gun violence too...mostly by people who are barred from owning firearms anyway!

My brothers a cop in the Northwestern portion of California and his agency has received death threats by Mexican Gangs growing pot in the mountains there...its a war. So yes, I am probably more pro-gun living in California than I would be once I get to Idaho. lmao

Old 04-13-2010, 01:29 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,439,909 times
ST its rare but it does happen.. I know two people who have used folding knives in self defense situations.. Sometimes just the appearance of a blade is enough to thwart an attack or robbery..
Just having a knife does not make you a knife fighter though.. If you even consider using it for defense you should train with it in that capacity.. My business partner is a UC cop that trains other cops in all manner of self defense.. One time at a seminar I would see him charge guys to induce stress, and half of them would drop the knife trying to get it open (and thats one handed opening knives)... A small fixed blade is a much better idea for self defense.. If you want any advice on this I can help.. We offer knives geared for close quarters criminal assault and training DVD's.. Not trying to sell anything, just trying to help a brother out..

BTW just before we left Cali. an MS13 gang banger showed up dead in our little town right on the sidewalk... That was REALLY an eye opener, and REALLY drove home the point it was time to get the heck outta dodge.. Im talking a REAL small rural Slow Cal town too, not no big city...

Old 04-13-2010, 02:03 PM

464 posts, read 1,111,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
ST its rare but it does happen.. I know two people who have used folding knives in self defense situations.. Sometimes just the appearance of a blade is enough to thwart an attack or robbery..
Just having a knife does not make you a knife fighter though.. If you even consider using it for defense you should train with it in that capacity.. My business partner is a UC cop that trains other cops in all manner of self defense.. One time at a seminar I would see him charge guys to induce stress, and half of them would drop the knife trying to get it open (and thats one handed opening knives)... A small fixed blade is a much better idea for self defense.. If you want any advice on this I can help.. We offer knives geared for close quarters criminal assault and training DVD's.. Not trying to sell anything, just trying to help a brother out..

BTW just before we left Cali. an MS13 gang banger showed up dead in our little town right on the sidewalk... That was REALLY an eye opener, and REALLY drove home the point it was time to get the heck outta dodge.. Im talking a REAL small rural Slow Cal town too, not no big city...
I do practice various moves, but no, I am no knife fighter. I am likely more skilled with knives than the average thug.

Gangs killings are on the rise here in Sacramento too. Just had a driveby shooting yesterday in my neck of the woods, two people were shot dead. One, an apparent gangbanger, was driving and the other was an innocent high school girl who was getting a ride home from school.

I'm not too worried about gang activity, they tend to stick to their "hoods". My worry is meth heads. My neighbors oldest daughter, a on and off meth head, is a major witness in her best friends murder. Three meth heads murdered her friend in order to steal his PS3 and other various items for cash. Pretty grusome.

I don't go around dissin' gangstas, but meth heads are indiscriminate in how they commit random acts of violence to support their addictions.

Also, the drug addicted homeless are particularly aggressive. They get very confrontational if you tell them "No" when they are begging for money. I've had to verbally go off on a few to get them to back away from my space. I worry that someday that won't be enough....

My knife is small, folds into the handle. The blade is only about 3.5-4 inches long - quite sharpe. Of course, it would take me 2-3 seconds to pull it our and open it to use, but thats the price I pay for discretion. Soon I'll be living in a state with an open carry laws....

PS I'll take any and all advice you'll give Trace.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:03 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post

My brothers a cop in the Northwestern portion of California and his agency has received death threats by Mexican Gangs growing pot in the mountains there...its a war.
Well I know one way of ending "pot Violence" (see my tag) but that's for another thread.

As for meth violence, I had a cousin who was killed due to his son and his meth dealing and his non-dealings (taking money without delivery). First murder in Meridian in about 20 or so years.It has really screwed up that side of the family. Thing is, his dad, use to keep a loaded shotgun because he was scared of his son's "friends". Unfortunatley, the time the dude went for his son on a Sunday morning he was unprepared, and the only one home to get the fatal blow. Bad stuff that meth is.

As for the violence associated with weed, it is ridiculous and completely avoidable once Federal Law catches up with reality. See alcohol prohibition.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:22 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
ST Not trying to sell anything, just trying to help a brother out..
And a sister! I have a good friend in WA who is a knife designer/world renowned martial arts expert, and who teaches classes in self defense w. blades and expedient weapons to women and girls. I've attended one of his classes. Watch him turn a bottle of water or a highlighter into a defensive weapon! Very educational!

Old 04-14-2010, 12:39 AM

599 posts, read 5,730,615 times
Quote:
Joox I must apologize for my knee jerk reaction to you... I am sorry.
You seem to be aprehensive, but open minded.. There is nothing wrong with that! unless your so open minded your brains fall out..Ha!!

Please accept my apology, and I hope you dont hold it against me or my rabid pro-gun compatriots who cherish our right to bear arms, and protect our families and friends...
Apology accepted I would never hold it against anyone that they want to protect family and friend. Due to different social concepts where we live, we have different frameworks on how to do this - and that's okay. I think it's important to be open-minded and accept that not all people share the same opinions - even though I would like to keep my brain inside my scull.

Apprehensive - maybe. An upcoming move cross the Atlantic sometimes has that effect on people. I’m looking forward to the opportunity to live in Idaho Falls, and I’m convinced that Idaho Falls is special in its own way, just as Roanoke (VA) and Albuquerque (NM) are, and I’m also convinced that I will like Idaho Falls.

Sage of Sagle -
I don't think Scandinavians are ruder than anyone else. In fact we are very much a bunch of people-pleasers for the most part. But, I'm attending a lot of international meetings and conferences, and in my experience, Scandinavians sometimes are perceived as rude when they engage in a meeting. My own theory is that Scandinavians - Swedes in particular - usually don't add that much extra "fluff" when we speak. For example, if I have feedback to give, I say it as straight forward as possible. Even though the Swedish manner is expected at meetings in Sweden, it does not well received in the US. From a Swedish perspective, Americans add a lot more words (fluff) to almost disguise the feedback or comment. This is one of those things that you never get to learn in school and therefore have to learn the hard way. I’m thankful that one of my American colleagues pointed this out to me before I ended up – without being aware of it - offending too many of the American government employees that I work with.

In a private setting, on the other hand, the issue of being perceived as rude is almost nonexistent. At least I haven't received any complaints.

But, I do realize that in a written form - even in a private setting - I still have to practice to not speak quite as frankly and to add more fluff. Writing in this forum is good practice. Feel free to let me know if I ever end up offending anyone of you again. (I’m such a people-pleaser-Swede at heart).

Sorry for getting a bit off topic.

/joox

Old 04-14-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
And a sister! I have a good friend in WA who is a knife designer/world renowned martial arts expert, and who teaches classes in self defense w. blades and expedient weapons to women and girls. I've attended one of his classes. Watch him turn a bottle of water or a highlighter into a defensive weapon! Very educational!
Absolutely I can help a sister out too.. DM me your friends name. The initials wouldnt happen to be K.W.? I know quite a few people in this line of work..

Old 04-14-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joox View Post
Apology accepted I would never hold it against anyone that they want to protect family and friend. Due to different social concepts where we live, we have different frameworks on how to do this - and that's okay. I think it's important to be open-minded and accept that not all people share the same opinions - even though I would like to keep my brain inside my scull.

Apprehensive - maybe. An upcoming move cross the Atlantic sometimes has that effect on people. I’m looking forward to the opportunity to live in Idaho Falls, and I’m convinced that Idaho Falls is special in its own way, just as Roanoke (VA) and Albuquerque (NM) are, and I’m also convinced that I will like Idaho Falls.

Sage of Sagle -
I don't think Scandinavians are ruder than anyone else. In fact we are very much a bunch of people-pleasers for the most part. But, I'm attending a lot of international meetings and conferences, and in my experience, Scandinavians sometimes are perceived as rude when they engage in a meeting. My own theory is that Scandinavians - Swedes in particular - usually don't add that much extra "fluff" when we speak. For example, if I have feedback to give, I say it as straight forward as possible. Even though the Swedish manner is expected at meetings in Sweden, it does not well received in the US. From a Swedish perspective, Americans add a lot more words (fluff) to almost disguise the feedback or comment. This is one of those things that you never get to learn in school and therefore have to learn the hard way. I’m thankful that one of my American colleagues pointed this out to me before I ended up – without being aware of it - offending too many of the American government employees that I work with.

In a private setting, on the other hand, the issue of being perceived as rude is almost nonexistent. At least I haven't received any complaints.

But, I do realize that in a written form - even in a private setting - I still have to practice to not speak quite as frankly and to add more fluff. Writing in this forum is good practice. Feel free to let me know if I ever end up offending anyone of you again. (I’m such a people-pleaser-Swede at heart).

Sorry for getting a bit off topic.

/joox
Thanks Joox I appreciate that... Sorry if I came off like a jerk... I hope your adventure is a good one... MAYBE I'll see you on a gun range some day...

Old 04-19-2010, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,387 times
are all americans crazy..are you all living in fear for your lives... is it normal behavior to think you need automatic rifles to defend your family and not 1 gun but 3 or 4 ,how did your country get so f...k.d up ?
Do you guys think its normal to have drive by shootings, school shootings etc ..kids being searched before going into school for guns. And then you read some comments..., i need my guns for hunting, what a joke ..with all these guns are there any animals left over there to shoot....with such a big drug problem in the usa ,the number of people with mental health issues are only going to increase.. thank god you have your guns to defend yourselves.. America at war with it self
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho