U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2010, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Idaho
168 posts, read 254,118 times
Reputation: 76
Default Idaho governor signs law based on 9th, 10th amendments

Way to go Otter!! This is another reason to like ID. Hallelujah there are still states willing to fight the Feds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2010, 02:04 PM
 
599 posts, read 1,389,370 times
Reputation: 1244
"...the right to keep and bear arms..." - This is one of the main reasons people think I'm crazy for moving to the US. I guess that as an European I just can't understand how (and why) it could/should be anyones right to carry weapons.

A cultural difference I bet, but I know it will be hard to get used to.

The first time I ever saw a gun was when I as a 16-year old was an exchange student in Virginia. My host dad proudly showed me an old family gun. I remember being extremely freaked out about the fact that I had to live in a house with a gun in it. At home I don't know anyone that have any kind of weapon - except for kitchen knifes and such. And yes, I'm a city-kid so I don't know anyone that hunts.

Having a rifle or such for hunting I get, it's the "I need to casually carry a weapon in case I might need to defend myself from a fellow man" I don't get. I might be extremely naive, but should we not try to minimize the amounts of weapons instead of making it okay to carry them around?

I hope this post is not viewed as too political by any means. I'm just fascinated by the cultural difference, and since I'm moving to Idaho I would like to know what I get myself into.

/joox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 03:02 PM
 
Location: FINALLY in N. Idaho
1,043 posts, read 2,127,071 times
Reputation: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by joox View Post
"...the right to keep and bear arms..." - This is one of the main reasons people think I'm crazy for moving to the US. I guess that as an European I just can't understand how (and why) it could/should be anyones right to carry weapons.

A cultural difference I bet, but I know it will be hard to get used to.

The first time I ever saw a gun was when I as a 16-year old was an exchange student in Virginia. My host dad proudly showed me an old family gun. I remember being extremely freaked out about the fact that I had to live in a house with a gun in it. At home I don't know anyone that have any kind of weapon - except for kitchen knifes and such. And yes, I'm a city-kid so I don't know anyone that hunts.

Having a rifle or such for hunting I get, it's the "I need to casually carry a weapon in case I might need to defend myself from a fellow man" I don't get. I might be extremely naive, but should we not try to minimize the amounts of weapons instead of making it okay to carry them around?

I hope this post is not viewed as too political by any means. I'm just fascinated by the cultural difference, and since I'm moving to Idaho I would like to know what I get myself into.

/joox
Its funny the places that have more guns in the US have the least amount of crime.. Even in Europe the places that have outright banned guns have seen increases in crime.. An armed society is a polite society..
I think you should REALLY consider staying in Europe if your going to get freaked out anytime you see a gun...

Rock on Otter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 07:05 PM
 
3,654 posts, read 4,054,723 times
Reputation: 2726
Quote:
Originally Posted by joox View Post
"...the right to keep and bear arms..." - This is one of the main reasons people think I'm crazy for moving to the US. I guess that as an European I just can't understand how (and why) it could/should be anyones right to carry weapons.

A cultural difference I bet, but I know it will be hard to get used to.
/joox

Joox, we should probably not get too heavily into this discussion. Too political. But it's something I'd be really happy to talk over with you over a local Idaho beer some day, or a cup of tater juice--I know where you're coming from, and it took me years to change my mind and understand the 2nd Amendment and its implications. One needs to understand the unique history of the US, as well as some statistics they just never tell you about in Europe...It will take some getting used to, but try to think of private, good people owning guns as a way to keep you safe, rather than a way to endanger you. Particularly in the West it is an essential part of one's entire concept of liberty. Maybe we can talk about this privately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 07:10 PM
 
Location: 112 Ocean Avenue
5,706 posts, read 4,691,952 times
Reputation: 8663
You gotta love a state that's bold enough to elect a governor with a name like C.L. "Butch" Otter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 07:30 PM
 
3,654 posts, read 4,054,723 times
Reputation: 2726
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysLooking View Post
Way to go Otter!! This is another reason to like ID. Hallelujah there are still states willing to fight the Feds.
Forgot to express my heartfelt approval!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
58 posts, read 82,606 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by joox View Post
"...the right to keep and bear arms..." - This is one of the main reasons people think I'm crazy for moving to the US. I guess that as an European I just can't understand how (and why) it could/should be anyones right to carry weapons.

A cultural difference I bet, but I know it will be hard to get used to.

The first time I ever saw a gun was when I as a 16-year old was an exchange student in Virginia. My host dad proudly showed me an old family gun. I remember being extremely freaked out about the fact that I had to live in a house with a gun in it. At home I don't know anyone that have any kind of weapon - except for kitchen knifes and such. And yes, I'm a city-kid so I don't know anyone that hunts.

Having a rifle or such for hunting I get, it's the "I need to casually carry a weapon in case I might need to defend myself from a fellow man" I don't get. I might be extremely naive, but should we not try to minimize the amounts of weapons instead of making it okay to carry them around?

I hope this post is not viewed as too political by any means. I'm just fascinated by the cultural difference, and since I'm moving to Idaho I would like to know what I get myself into.

/joox
Hey Joox, ever been to Switzerland? The whole country is armed. It's a citizen's duty. They also have low crime and polite people. Oh and by the way they are the only country in Europe that Hitler didn't mess with during that little fracas they had over there between 1939 and 1945. You know, the war! You must of heard of it. Just think of Idaho as Switzerland by the Rockies. Just subsistute their cheese for our potatoes. After all potatoes make a better brew...and armed citizens make a free and brave people. cadillac 811
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 08:26 PM
 
890 posts, read 1,247,982 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
You gotta love a state that's bold enough to elect a governor with a name like C.L. "Butch" Otter.
Too bad Butch is a twit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 09:19 PM
 
1,571 posts, read 2,875,339 times
Reputation: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Too bad Butch is a twit.
I would laugh if it wasn't so true...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 10:18 PM
 
2,808 posts, read 3,102,495 times
Reputation: 1381
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
You gotta love a state that's bold enough to elect a governor with a name like C.L. "Butch" Otter.
Yeah, well...we also elected Larry Craig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top