Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 06:41 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
6 Year old thread brought to life. Last time OP poster was 6 years ago. SO.......what is the real reason this thread was bumped? For your curiosity, no, there are no more racism in COD than in other places in The USA. I can think of many many more places who have much more racism than little COD. This is not the 80's anymore. There is no more nazi / skinhead camps in COD.
Or the 90s or the early 2000s, since skinhead parades in CDA happened until about that recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 06:46 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Ok, I lived close by up until 2008. I never saw any skinheads parades. But that doesn't mean they didn't happen. But it's not like it once was. I live in Chicago now. Much more racism here.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 06-29-2016 at 06:55 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Ok, I lived close by up until 2008. I never saw any skinheads parades. But that doesn't mean they didn't happen. But it's not like it once was. I live in Chicago now. Much more racism here.
Too be clear-I don't think CDA is any more or less racist than other places. I just know enough local history that I know why it still has the stereotype.

It wasn't all that long ago they were doing this: Racists march down CdA street | The Spokesman-Review

Old 07-22-2016, 04:21 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
I thought this ancient zombie's revival ought to end on a more realistic note.

Idaho is not racist. Anyone of any race can find a home here and won't be harassed. That's the fact of it.

Every state in the nation has some racists that live in it, but here, if they don't keep their opinions to themselves and start displaying their beliefs, we are pretty quick to block them or run them out if that's not enough. We learned the hard way that tolerance of bigotry has to have limits, so we are more pro-active about it now.

I've lived here for 73 years now, and I've always known people of all races who have lived here. Some for good, some for a time and then moved for various reasons. Some have been my friends in all the times of my life. Some are still my friends, here in my state or where they are now.

And when it comes to minorities, Idaho has some unusual ones, like lots of Basques, Peruvians, Czechs, Sikhs, and others. We also are seeing more Amish, Hutterites, and others like them moving in as their old homelands back East are filling up and farmland is becoming more expensive than it is profitable.

If you have a self-sufficient, independent nature and a dislike for innuendo and gossip, you will fit in fine here, no matter where you are from and what you look like. And you won't have any trouble with finding friends to run around with.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:49 PM

318 posts, read 436,551 times
Default Just saying...

Banjo..you know how much I appreciate and respect your knowledge about Idaho but I found an enclave of white supremacists this summer along the St Joe that I found alarming.

These are mostly locals...land owners in the area for several generations. Many are loggers who know full well the difficulties of life in the back woods. Other than owning land, they are cash poor and not that well educated. They spend most of their cash on guns, cigarettes and beer. They don't like a lot of what they see of modern life and changes in Idaho. One woman bar owner told me the Internet has destroyed the world. Some have been displaced from Coeur d' Alene and other parts where those d...... Californians have moved, bringing their gangs and crime with them.

They don't see anything wrong with drinking beer in the watering hole at the Eddy for several hours and driving dozens of miles in their pick em ups to get home.

They watch FOX news exclusively and if women don't get drunk and have sex with them, they loudly complain. They have no use for strangers, especially different races. They were the same thugs who beat up the long hair hippies who accidently stopped to use the restroom back in the day. They don't like strangers, as a general rule.

They threatened to tow my travel trailer off the property because I don't support Donald Trump. (Seriously). They only backed off because I suggested the Feds might come here to investigate a kidnapping.

I was drawn here to photograph the environment and am stuck here for another week. There is no cellphone service but the Sheriff comes by. He asked me what was I doing here and I replied, this is a campground. I should have taken a clue that there are very few other campers. I didn't read the online reviews.

There is only one bit of good news. A fellow camper told me this is the last decade of this type. They are rapidly dying in their fifties from cirrhosis, lung cancer and alcohol related car crashes.

So not this year, but maybe in a few years,,,it will be safe for everyone to drive along this stunning scenic river road.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:59 PM

Well, ya found rednecks. How do you know they were White Supremacists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater66 View Post
Banjo..you know how much I appreciate and respect your knowledge about Idaho but I found an enclave of white supremacists this summer along the St Joe that I found alarming.

These are mostly locals...land owners in the area for several generations. Many are loggers who know full well the difficulties of life in the back woods. Other than owning land, they are cash poor and not that well educated. They spend most of their cash on guns, cigarettes and beer. They don't like a lot of what they see of modern life and changes in Idaho. One woman bar owner told me the Internet has destroyed the world. Some have been displaced from Coeur d' Alene and other parts where those d...... Californians have moved, bringing their gangs and crime with them.

They don't see anything wrong with drinking beer in the watering hole at the Eddy for several hours and driving dozens of miles in their pick em ups to get home.

They watch FOX news exclusively and if women don't get drunk and have sex with them, they loudly complain. They have no use for strangers, especially different races. They were the same thugs who beat up the long hair hippies who accidently stopped to use the restroom back in the day. They don't like strangers, as a general rule.

They threatened to tow my travel trailer off the property because I don't support Donald Trump. (Seriously). They only backed off because I suggested the Feds might come here to investigate a kidnapping.

I was drawn here to photograph the environment and am stuck here for another week. There is no cellphone service but the Sheriff comes by. He asked me what was I doing here and I replied, this is a campground. I should have taken a clue that there are very few other campers. I didn't read the online reviews.

There is only one bit of good news. A fellow camper told me this is the last decade of this type. They are rapidly dying in their fifties from cirrhosis, lung cancer and alcohol related car crashes.

So not this year, but maybe in a few years,,,it will be safe for everyone to drive along this stunning scenic river road.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:13 PM

318 posts, read 436,551 times
Because several told me they are.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater66 View Post
Because several told me they are.
That makes it easy! Wish all jerks were so obvious!

Old 07-24-2016, 09:54 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
The thing is...we had/have a poster here who keeps coming back under alliterative sock puppet names and he does post things about keeping Idaho white, etc.

I don't see many people taking on his remarks here so how can you blame outsiders for wondering if Idaho IS actually racist and asking about it?

Old 07-30-2016, 11:50 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
And we do have ONE nutcase in Athol (whose surname is actually "Mullet", if you can believe that...what an amazing coincidence!) spreading aryan flyers around.
I stopped at the Little Town Market in Athol in the Summer of 2014. There was a car in the lot with a bumper sticker that read 'A Village in Kenya is Missing It's Idiot'. The local owner of the car, who was missing some teeth, was quite proud of this Obama related bumper sticker. Perhaps that person is related to "Mullet". I stayed in Spirit Lake for about 2 weeks and visited as many areas in that part of Idaho as possible before exiting into Washington at Newport to head out toward North Cascades National Park. That part of Idaho from I-90 north to the Canadian border is absolutely gorgeous. It had been 15 years since my last visit...long overdue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho