Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:17 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times

Advertisements

You shouldn't cross all of North Idaho off your list. It is a big place, and CDA is just a blip. Most of it is not like CDA.

If you like Cottonwood, for instance, you might like Bonners Ferry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
I absolutely agree with your view. The same thing happened to Lake Tahoe. I find it disgusting. CdA and Northern Idaho is actually off my radar because of that.

I'm sorry they ruined the area. I am constantly under the oppressive weight of regulation. Our fireplace is never used as we are rarely allowed any days to burn in our own homes. It's that old addage that if you give a mouse a cookie, he's gonna want a glass of milk. Well government is that mouse and the mouse is big and fat and perpetually hungry and thirsty for more and more.

There really is nothing you can do about it though. Federal Law prohibits states from interferring with interstate travel and commerce, which means anyone and everything can move in and develop the once pristine land.

It sounds and more and more like CdA is Lake Tahoe 25-30 years ago - it will only get worse. It will only get more expensive to live there...

I was once dead set on NID, but I have changed my mind to the Central border region around Lewiston. Though it appear there seems to be an influx of the same kind of thing as you have seen in the north, but hopefully I can get moved in before it becomes a land of the rich and oppulent.

Where else in America is there to go for people like you? I mean no disrespect, but it just feels like a certain way of life is winning the Cultural heart of all of America. That materialistic, greedy, and shallow side of America....

Old 04-21-2010, 01:51 PM

464 posts, read 1,111,092 times
It wasn't the only reason. The wife is not too keen on cold places. Cottonwood seems a bit milder than other areas in Northern or Central Idaho. Plus it close to Lewiston which is supposed to be even warmer.

I scratched CdA and most of NID off my list because of that and the reasons laid out in this post. I'll still be close enough to visit though...

Looking forward to moving. I think I'll plan a trip up there next Summer as a preliminary kind of deal. That should be fun.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:30 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
Cottonwood winters are no more mild than the CDA area. Trust me. Lewiston is. The difference is caused by elevation. Lewiston is MUCH lower than most everywhere else around here.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:49 PM

27 posts, read 93,930 times
Greetings to all, I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I feel a need to stick my two cents worth in here. I really have actually read this entire thread, and as another Commiefornian who is considering either a move to North Idaho, or a move to South Dakota, both of which are complaining about the influx of Commiefornians, this is a subject that I have given some amount of thought to. Please forgive me if I stick my foot just a little over the line into the political realm, I will try not to, but I think that it is relevant to the direction that this thread took.

First of all, I wish that I could find a place which appealed to my family and myself, like North Idaho, but did not have all the Commiefornians moving there, but so far I cannot. The fears that are expressed here, and I am sure the frustrations as well, are quite valid, and I actually feel the same way. What I see happening to some extent, and I hope that this is not just wishful thinking on my part, is that the majority of people leaving this state are the educated, ambitious, conservative types like myself, who want Idaho (or wherever) to stay as it is, and not change. Change from what it is and has been, is what I fear most in finding a place to live. This search has been for us, long and at times frustrating. In my business, which I bring with me when I move, I talk to people all over the country on a daily basis, and have often over the last few years made a remark to the effect that "Gee, your little town sounds like it must be a pretty neat place to live", always to receive the same response, which is "Well, yes, it is, but it is not like it used to be, it has really grown a lot in the last 10 years". I have had this exchange time after time after time, with people in every tiny little, far removed corner of this nation, and always the same response. Believe me, you are not alone in your frustrations with growth and "others" moving into your neighborhoods.

The immigration into this country, particularly from our neighbors to the south, has been horrendous. I would maintain that this may be a major culprit in the growth that we all are seeing, not just that we "Keep having kids". We conservative Commiefornians in particular, have been screaming, and yes I do mean screaming, at the rest of the country to bring our legal and illegal immigration into check for over 30 years!!! Yes, over 30 YEARS! And the farther that you go back, the less that anyone ever listened. You talk of the changes from people from Commiefornia coming in, we have been culturally SLAMMED in this state by the migration from Mexico. Look up the demographics of some areas of Commiefornia compared with your favorite part of Idaho, and you will understand. Now some of these people are wonderful, the kind of people that have made America the great nation that it is ... hard working people who just want a chance to work their tail off and own something for their hard work, to live the American dream. But with them comes many who are not, many who come here for the free stuff our government gives out, who join gangs, and steel from others, who bring the drug trades and the violence. There are many who come here who do not seem to want to learn our language or mix with us, who do not seem to even like us, but live here to get a piece of the pie, or to get a free education for their kids, legal or illegal. The schools here do not differentiate, and this costs taxpayer dollars. These now are my neighbors! I, and many like me did not ask for this, and saw it coming, but have been powerless to stop it. So now our towns have changed for the worse, and we look for a new place to go, turning our backs on the areas that were familiar to us, that we intended to live in our whole lives. And did anyone, except perhaps John McCain think that these immigrants were going to vote conservative? In my experience they do not, they seem to almost exclusively vote for the free stuff party. And since Commiefornia has their "Motor - voter" law, and bilingual ballot, it is my understanding that many non-citizens vote here too. This nation has always proudly been a melting pot, and always should be, but the melting pot concept has been lost. The original concept was to meter the immigrants in from all nations and ethnicities at a pace that allowed those who came in to mix with the American population and become "Americanized", and not let any ethnic group in too fast, lest they not mix, and become self-segregated in their own neighborhoods, so we end up with the "white" neighborhood", the "Italian" neighborhood, and the "mexican" neighborhood, etc. I believe that our founding fathers intended that we all blend together as Americans! That is certainly what I have always believed! I do not mean to say here that immigration situation is, by any stretch, the only reason that I will soon leave, but it certainly plays a part in much of what has changed this state.

Lastly, and I know that I probably don't need to say this to this group most of all, but keep in mind that our founding fathers intention in the constitution was that states have far reaching individual rights to create their own laws, and that each state may become therefore quite different from others. Their intention then was that if someone like myself became unhappy with the direction that the culture and/or laws in my state were going, that I could take my family and move to another state that is more to my liking. I have a gun related business, and though I would hope to pick up some local business no matter where I move, I am not particularly dependent on any locality, as I do business all over the world. In Commiefornia, because I am a business owner, and especially because I have a gun related business, I am to be shunned, and I am to be punished, more so because I am firmly conservative! Also, to a liberal, because I own a business, I am defined as very very wealthy, and always worthy of much greater taxation, no matter whether I have food to feed my family tonight or not. So I hope you don't mind if I move next door to you, as I feel much more akin to you than my current neighbors. I promise to do my best to acclimate to your culture, and to leave mine behind. I actually do not think that I will find this either unpleasant nor difficult.

Mike

P.S.: Please forgive me if I rant, I have found this whole concept of having to leave here, but not feeling particularly welcome in many places, a bit unsettling.

Last edited by Done with Commiefornia; 04-21-2010 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Indentation!

Old 04-21-2010, 03:11 PM

Mike,

Well said. My problem is that my daughter does projects on saving Lake Eerie from pollution, builds murals to Native Americans on California rather than building models of the Spanish Missions, or sending home a copy of next week's test to study. These are all things I have observed this year in my daughter's fourth grade class.

It goes beyond that, but having lived in California most of my list, I have seen first hand how the state has changed. And I am only 31 years old. lol

Let me know if you have any use for someone with computer skills at your business. I am good with databases and such.

Upon reflection, I don't think those who lament over Californication dislike us as individuals, but rather the thought of Idaho becoming a minature sized California in law and culture. I agree, that would be disgustingly bad...that is what I am trying to escape, not recreate wherever I escape too!!!!!

Old 04-21-2010, 03:25 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,174 times
Dear Done With Commiefornia,

You have not let the cat out of the bag! Your “rant” is well documented and your pain is felt by anyone - in any state - who loves this country, shares your conservative views and has any measure of common sense.

Here’s my quick response to you, Mike: Get some boxes, pack up your stuff and get up here where you belong. We have room for you and you are most welcome!

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 04-21-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
Mike,

...Upon reflection, I don't think those who lament over Californication dislike us as individuals, but rather the thought of Idaho becoming a minature sized California in law and culture. I agree, that would be disgustingly bad...that is what I am trying to escape, not recreate wherever I escape too!!!!!
And I could not agree more. My intent above was more of a reinforcement, with a different twist, of what so many of you had already said so well. After reading the entire thread, I actually feel more kinship to those of you who are already there. I am almost 50 now, and have watched Commiefornia's changes as it has been the "in" place to move to for so long, for people from everywhere! Finding a "native" Californian is sometimes like finding a needle in a haystack. I do feel though, that CDA's reputation for being very conservative may serve us well in the long run as far as keeping the "right" kind of people coming ... I hope! Mike

Old 04-21-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimit2 View Post
Dear Done With Commiefornia,

You have not let the cat out of the bag! Your “rant” is well documented and your pain is felt by anyone - in any state - who loves this country, shares your conservative views and has any measure of common sense.

Here’s my quick response to you, Mike: Get some boxes, pack up your stuff and get up here where you belong. We have room for you and you are most welcome!

pimit2 (Bob)
Thank you Bob, thank you very much!

Old 04-21-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done with Commiefornia View Post
And I could not agree more. My intent above was more of a reinforcement, with a different twist, of what so many of you had already said so well. After reading the entire thread, I actually feel more kinship to those of you who are already there. I am almost 50 now, and have watched Commiefornia's changes as it has been the "in" place to move to for so long, for people from everywhere! Finding a "native" Californian is sometimes like finding a needle in a haystack. I do feel though, that CDA's reputation for being very conservative may serve us well in the long run as far as keeping the "right" kind of people coming ... I hope! Mike
I was born in San Diego, lived for 3 years in Texas and Colorado, before "growing up" in Cottonwood(just south of Redding, CA). I now live in Sacramento - the belly of the beast.

The chance of me being a Californian when I am 50 is about as likely as me being a Californian by aged 35. If so, you will likely find me hanging from a tree somewhere. lol I am that unhappy with this place.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:30 PM

OK Sac, in honor of our mutual anti-commiefornia attitude, I have now changed my "Status" to California ... Ptew, Ptew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho