U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-10-2007, 12:32 AM

38 posts, read 52,624 times
Default Best place for raising horses in Idaho

Greetings all! Just discovered this site and all the wonderfully helpful posts about living in Idaho. I have a few questions STILL haven't found the answers to and hoping to get some sound responses. 1) wanting to relocate from North Florida to be closer to daughter and grandchildren 2) have too many horses that I can't bear of selling (many bred and raised from foals )3) where are the best " horse friendly " places. 4) where are the best Real Estate ads/links? Having a hard time finding anything under $500,000 with even the smallest amount of land ( under 20 acres ) with home and barn. I guess I'm a bit shocked at the land prices in Idaho vs. Florida where it sure buys more. Thanks, Yvonne
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 08:19 AM

134 posts, read 351,499 times
Where do your Children & Grand Children live?
Are you horses bred to handle cold weather?
I live in North Idaho and there are lots of places to raise horses. I live in the city of Dalton Gardens which is sandwiched between Coeur d'Alene and Hayden Lake and all of the lots here are at least a acre. Our neighbors have Horses, cattle & Donkeys.

You can go north from here to Rathdrum and there are a lot of 5 acre properties that are reasonably priced.
You can find some
North Idaho Real Estate links at Buster & Boo Boo's Website - North Idaho Real Estate Links (http://traviscallahan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=345&Item id=36 - broken link)

We have been really happy with our real estate agent, Tom Fisher of Century 21 his number is 208-660-9252. He was born and raised here and is very knowledgeable.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:06 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,655,569 times
In the Sandpoint area, both Sagle (south of town) and Selle (north of town off 95) are very horse-oriented. The further you go north, toward Naples and Bonner's Ferry, the cheaper the land too.

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***

Old 06-11-2007, 11:12 PM

10 posts, read 42,725 times
Anyone know of any good horse back riding trails to ride on in the dalton, hayden, or CDA, OR SANDPOINT AREA...im looking for some good endurance riding trails (long distance) trails...

Old 06-12-2007, 04:51 PM

38 posts, read 52,624 times
Default Thanks to all who responded

Greetings! Sorry it's taken so long to reply. Horses sure can keep you busy I wanted to thank everyone who responded.

IdahoEagle: daughter and grandchildre live in Boise. It would be nice to be within an hour in any direction from them. The link for Buster and Boo Boo's doesn't work
Here are my needs and wants: 10-20 tillable acres for pasture weather allowing. Comfortable home with out buildings, barn and garage. I expect to have about the same number of horses come with me. TEMPERATE climate = small amount of snow. I'm a native Floridan!!! Must admit I hate COLD!!!! The biggest desire is to be near family.
What areas should I consider to meet my needs? Thanks, Yvonne

Old 06-12-2007, 11:03 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,655,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Must admit I hate COLD!!!!
Yvonne,

With that statement alone, I must say that while Idaho is a wonderful place, you will absolutely not like living here from Thanksgiving to St Paddy's Day. Maybe start the life of a snow bird wintering in Phoenix?

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***

Old 06-13-2007, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 10,964 times
u might try twin falls. i grew up there and a lot of my friends have ranches in twin and the surrounding area

Old 12-28-2007, 11:38 AM

22 posts, read 71,798 times
Hey, I see this post is a few months old, but I would like to know more about living in Florida!! I am terrified of hurricanes and such, but I AM NOT enjoying this snow in Rocky Mountain region of Bozeman, MT!! My youngest child will finish school in 2011, and then I will definitely re-locate!! I love sunshine, but not so hot you have to ride at 4 am in the summer!!! Am looking for some input as to the BEST climate to enjoy my horses!! Would love to find a nice place with a climate somewhere between Seattle's (sometimes too wet and gloomy)area and Bozeman's (too hot in summer, too cold/snowy in winter!) Yes, a perfect world would be appreciated!

Old 12-28-2007, 05:11 PM

12,542 posts, read 11,584,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Greetings! Sorry it's taken so long to reply. Horses sure can keep you busy I wanted to thank everyone who responded.

IdahoEagle: daughter and grandchildre live in Boise. It would be nice to be within an hour in any direction from them. The link for Buster and Boo Boo's doesn't work
Here are my needs and wants: 10-20 tillable acres for pasture weather allowing. Comfortable home with out buildings, barn and garage. I expect to have about the same number of horses come with me. TEMPERATE climate = small amount of snow. I'm a native Floridan!!! Must admit I hate COLD!!!! The biggest desire is to be near family.
What areas should I consider to meet my needs? Thanks, Yvonne
We are in the Boise area Eagle very expensive for horse property It might help to know what the price range you will be able to afford.
Ex: 500,000 up will get you 2-3 acres in eagle price may have come down some not sure possibly up to 5 acres but it will need work.
You have outer lying areas such as Emmett, Payette, Fruitland, which are all between Eagle and Ontario, Oregon nice traveling distance to Eagle.
I would stay away from Star, Middleton unless you are on the Emmett side as traffic into town is unbearable. Feel free to pm me if you like.
There is also out the other end of the valley Boise to Mt. Home property in Mt home is still affordable I hear it is about 40 minutes out of Boise.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:18 PM

28 posts, read 90,290 times
Default I'm also looking for horse country !

Hi!

We have three horses and two dogs, and the two of us people would love the country area of about 3-5 acres. Not to hot in the summer, no kids, no jobs needed. Not much income on disability, so costs would have to be low.

Thank You for any responses...

Dee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho