Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 32,705 times

Advertisements

Hello, good friends! I'm originally from Chicago where the sometimes high humidity is quite comfortable to me. I also lived in South Carolina where the humidity is quite high. I currently reside in Bozeman, MT and am absolutely horrified at the complete lack of humidity in the air. I haven't been able to adjust to it in 3 years. When I curl up in bed at night there are sparks in the dark from the static electricity. Awful! I can never get enough to drink, my skin is taking a beating, etc...

My family and I are interested in a possible relocation to Sandpoint, ID. What's the humidity like there? Would you say the level is closer to Chicago or Bozeman, MT? Any other people out there that have moved from such contrasting humidity levels and their thoughts on it? Thanks and have a wonderful day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 12:39 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
I've got friends from Georgia, and dated a girl from the North Cali coast. I had never really thought about dryness until they frequently complained about how brutal it was here and all there problems with dry skin and what not. If it gets above 20% here, I'm the one complaining. Boise is dry as a bone and I think North Idaho is only moderately more humid.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:00 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Much like Bozeman. I'm from the east coast, lived in New England, Georgia, Ohio and Indiana and spent lots of time in Chicago. I live near Sandpoint near Priest Lake. Our humidity is NOWHERE NEAR the humidity back east. Thank God. I don't think there is anywhere in the entire west, including Seattle that has that god-awful humidity that they have back east. Can you tell I loathe humidity?
I also lived in Arizona for 10 years and we do have more humidity here than the Sonoran desert does. Though I hesitate to even call it humidity...more like dampness during the rainy times.

Last edited by mistyriver; 04-29-2010 at 01:22 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 01:02 PM

27 posts, read 93,987 times
Now that's kind of funny actually, because I guess that it's all what you are used to. Thank you for bringing this up, as I never thought about people finding it too dry! Naive me, I guess. I am currently in the southern portion of the unmentionable place, looking at NI most fondly, but also the black hills of South Dakota. One of my first questions about the black hills was the humidity level, because we do not want to move to one of those "humid" places. LOL, all good! Mike

Old 04-29-2010, 03:45 PM

464 posts, read 1,111,504 times
Interesting. I have chronic dry skin...the humid weather of Sacramento is sort of nice. Although, during the summer there is 0% humidity and 110 degrees....I think I'd take the moderation of lower temperatures and less water vapor in the air. lol But its a dry heat!

How is the humidity in the Moscow area? Lewiston? Tell you what, the thunder storms I witnessed the three years we lived in Colorado as a boy were incredible. I used to stay up late in the living room, in complete darkness, and watch the storm through the window.

I suggest this guy buys several water vaporizers and place one in each room...that way it'll always feel a little like home.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:30 PM

291 posts, read 669,685 times
I believe the positives in Idaho would grossly outweigh the low humidity. My relatives in Wyoming all have humidifiers in their homes.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:07 PM

27 posts, read 81,156 times
TJB, you want humidity? Come to Oregon... not high humidity but high enough for the mold to grow beautifully in your home... it grows so well, we had to get a de-humidifier... or.. could it have been the lack of insulation in our home??? hmmm

Old 04-29-2010, 07:24 PM

3 posts, read 32,705 times
Ya'all crack me up! When I first moved here (Bozeman) I bought a humidifier for every single room while we waited for our stuff to arrive. My windows were literally dripping water down the panes. Our movers made a comment about it being like a rainforest in the house as they brought the boxes in. When the lovers of this dry climate comment about how nice it is, I usually politely smile and remind myself to slather on the lotion as soon as I get back in the car.

You all are so helpful and informative. Thanks! And I agree, the beauty/positives of Idaho outweigh the low humidity. I'm looking forward to our new adventure, wherever it takes us.

@SacTown11 I know and miss those thunderstorms so much. You can smell 'em coming long before you see 'em.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:41 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
It's typically only humid east of 100° W longitude, which goes down the center of the Great Plains. IMO, North Idaho is a little more humid than your typical bone-dry places, but not even close to how the Midwest/East feels. A good (but not the best) balance IMO.

Commiefornia: The Black Hills are not humid.

SacTown: Moscow and Lewiston are less humid than Sacramento (but that's not saying much ).

Old 04-29-2010, 09:47 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
The dry climate is really nice, however...

Despite living all of my life here, I do get cracked hands and cracked nostrils. It's especially bad in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho