Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 14,876 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning on moving to Idaho in the next year or so, and would like some ideas on suitable towns and schools in Northern Idaho. I have been researching Sandpoint and the surrounding areas, but would like to hear from locals as to which small town best suits us... Our interests are snowmobiling, dirt biking, horseback riding, snowboarding and wakeboarding. My kids are 16 and 14 and VERY into sports - football, baseball, volleyball and softball. We also have a newborn, so a good elementary school is a must also! I prefer a small town/school with 10,000-3,000 people - any insight would be greatly appreciated???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 08:55 AM

148 posts, read 501,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaswirl View Post
My family and I are planning on moving to Idaho in the next year or so, and would like some ideas on suitable towns and schools in Northern Idaho. I have been researching Sandpoint and the surrounding areas, but would like to hear from locals as to which small town best suits us... Our interests are snowmobiling, dirt biking, horseback riding, snowboarding and wakeboarding. My kids are 16 and 14 and VERY into sports - football, baseball, volleyball and softball. We also have a newborn, so a good elementary school is a must also! I prefer a small town/school with 10,000-3,000 people - any insight would be greatly appreciated???

seaswirl, if you want to be able to ride from your property (i.e. sleds, atv's, horse, etc) i recommend rural bonner county or boundary county. not sure what you are looking for as far as property. when we were looking at property 6 years ago i noticed some areas of bonner county that frowned on atv's and sleds. we ended up buying in boundary county, there is much more access to public grounds. if you have a priority list i may be able to make some more specific recommendations. good luck

Old 05-05-2010, 10:03 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
First, all of NID is good for what you're looking for, you can't go far wrong. Sandpoint is nice, but if you're really focused on dirt biking, the Bonner County area is a touch more limited than some others. Much of the national forest in this area is off limits to motorized rec. The greenies got a lot of areas shut down as grizzly bear and caribou recovery areas. Having said that, there are still a number of places to ride, and there are more areas open for winter rec (snowmobiles) than summer time. The Bonner/Boundry county areas have some great, off trail, steep and deep extreme snowmobiling. You might want to research Priest Lake as well.

For summer-time motorized rec (dirt bikes/atvs), Wallace is referred to as the "center of the universe" for good reason. It's recognized as one of the premere ATV sites in the country. I personally like the town, it's smaller than CDA or Sandpoint, with more of a community feel and less of a "granola" influence. I can't comment on school or job opportunites though.

Flip side is, given your water-based interests, Sandpoint offers great access to Pend Orielle and would really let you do it all.

Given your interests, NID will suit you well. You'd do well to come out on vacation and get a feel for some of the towns you are considering and see as what really feels like home to you.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:18 AM

508 posts, read 1,021,994 times
i say it all depends, i have never had any good experences in sandpoint. Athol is a small town (closer to CDA) and isnt so uhmmm backward....

SilverValley is a nice little area too...

Old 05-13-2010, 11:10 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,447 times
I am so glad you are looking at Idaho to be your home – it is a wonderful place. I am making the assumption you have been here and are familiar with the areas that are being recommended to you. I notice that in your original post you state that you must have a good elementary school. Someone please respectfully correct me if I am wrong, but I am not sure the afore mentioned areas are known for their good schools – with perhaps the exception of Sandpoint. My kiddos attend private school, so I cannot make a personal recommendation. However, I have good friends whose children attend schools in Hayden and they have been very pleased

Old 05-14-2010, 02:47 PM

820 posts, read 1,739,471 times
I don't know anything about sandpoint schools, but i know that silver valley has some pretty decent schools, and if you go a little north, athol or something like that would be a good choice as well. Maybe even Priest Lake?

Old 05-14-2010, 03:04 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
I don't know anything about sandpoint schools, but i know that silver valley has some pretty decent schools, and if you go a little north, athol or something like that would be a good choice as well. Maybe even Priest Lake?
Priest Lake only has a tiny elementary school and then the kids go into Priest River schools. Not so good, and jobs are quite scarce in this area as well since the timber market splatted.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:41 PM

3 posts, read 14,876 times
Thanks for the responses! Snowmobiling is definately first on the list of activities we enjoy!!! As far as small towns, we now live in a VERY small town (1,500 pop.), 1 1/2 hrs to the nearest shopping and dining, and are looking for something a little bigger... between 2000 and 8000 would be ideal - still small, but more to do! Sandpoint is very similar to the town we live in now, I think that is why we are so interested in it!?! As far as work, my husband is in the process of medically retiring from the state, so a jobs are not a factor. I really appreciate any input...........

Old 05-20-2010, 03:27 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
In NID terms a pop of 1,500 is actually not all that tiny, IMHO--Clark Fork has only about 600, and it's big enough to have a post office, a high school, a market, a couple of good restaurants, etc. Go to the City-Data Forum homepage and check out pop stats for various NID towns. Just to give you an idea: Bonner's Ferry has about 2,500, Kellogg around 2,200, Sandpoint is slightly above 8,000, Rathdrum is close to 7,000 (hard to believe--can that be right?), and St. Maries is around 2,600.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:43 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Priest River is about 2,000 and in your size range is the closest to Sandpoint.

Rathdrum is the only one I can think in N Idaho in the upper part of your size range (besides Sandpoint itself and unless you can and would consider Hayden at 9,000+). Rathdrum is likely to get bigger, with the plus and minuses of that.

"If" Rathdrum seemed too big, Spirit Lake is pushing 2,000 and might be another alternative. I'd guess it will grow some more and it is pretty near Rathdrum and bigger stuff beyond.

Grangeville, further south, is about 3,000. The resort town of McCall is about 2,500. In the northeast part of the state, there is Salmon at 2,500.

If you are even more flexible, about the state, and want further options, across the border in WA, I'd mention Deer Park WA (about 3,500), Chewelah WA (about 2,000) and Colville WA (about 5,000). Liberty Lake is about 6,500 but is more suburban. Libby MT is about 3,000. Enterprise, Oregon is about 2,000, while Baker City, OR is about 9,500. LaGrande OR is about 12,500 and has gotten some good press.

The population figures are for the towns themselves. The nearby rural homes would add some to any of them.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-20-2010 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho