Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 04:42 PM

5 posts, read 24,653 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have searched the Sandpoint forums but I seem to have found some conflicting weather info that I am hoping to clarify. Can anyone give me detailed weather info per season? How long each season lasts, the average temps, the average rain/snowfall, etc. Also, is Sandpoint very rainy in the spring and/or summer? Is the summer really only 3 months long (Jul/Aug/Sept) or can people get out and play in April and May (and maybe part of Oct) as well? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 05:18 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,273,368 times
Here is one for ya;

WANTED: Your opinion of the weather in NID.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:52 PM

148 posts, read 501,107 times
Depends on what you mean by "get out and play". There is plenty of fishing, atv'ing, horseback riding, biking,etc. that can be done, just maybe have to pick your days.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:31 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,077 times
Hello Chance1230,

Quote:
I have searched the Sandpoint forums but I seem to have found some conflicting weather info that I am hoping to clarify. Can anyone give me detailed weather info per season? How long each season lasts, the average temps, the average rain/snowfall, etc. Also, is Sandpoint very rainy in the spring and/or summer? Is the summer really only 3 months long (Jul/Aug/Sept) or can people get out and play in April and May (and maybe part of Oct) as well? Thanks!!
Here's the data you are asking for (and lots more):

www.city-data.com/city/Sandpoint-Idaho.html

Understand that historical weather information collected over long periods can only provide averages. These statistics have some value, but don't "hang your hat" on them. Here in Sandpoint/Sagle we see variations in year-round weather stats virtually every year. Some years, the cold can be bitter, some years are milder than typical. Snow? Last winter, we had little snow....two winters ago, we got way too much.

Can we get out and play from April and October? Some years....looks like this may be one of them (so far). But remember this. Many of us switch gears and get out and play in every season, come Hell or high snow. On the rare occasion when the winter weather is just too much for us, we throw a good log on the fire, get comfortable with some fresh-baked bread and wild huckleberry jam we made last summer, and get into that book we've been meaning to read.

It's our way of life.

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 05-23-2010, 11:00 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,834,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance1230 View Post
Hello,

The problem is with assuming that there is any "normal" weather patterns. That was how I thought before I moved here...boy I was wrong...

A good example is the weather we've had in the past 48 hours. Yesterday I left my house in Sagle driving to Sandpoint at about 1PM. It was dry/dusty on our dirt road. As I got to Highway 95, it was a freakin' downpour. Wipers on high, headlights on, etc. By the time I got past Sagle Conoco it was down to a light rain, then dry on the long bridge, and then raining at Travers/Centennial Park. Went from rain to sun to rain to sun about 6x in 2 hours while there. Got home late afternoon and it was still 100% dry at my house. Today it was so bright and sunny I had to wear sunglasses outside, but over the course of 2 hours outside it rained on me on-and-off 3-4 times, all while me still standing in brilliant sunshine, and my friends going boating in it.

So we have crazy weather, but you just ignore it. You live your life without worrying about it, and just be prepared for anything. And we're not that big on umbrellas...because every time you use it, it turns sunny and then you feel like an idiot for carrying it around. I learned to buy jackets with hoods, or at least layer with a hoody under a jacket when it's cool out.

You're asking about "when" we get out and play. Well, I'll give you some real-world examples. We start soccer season (league play) around April 10th, but it's 45-50 degrees and rainy so the kids are in under armor and sweats. And we play soccer until the end of October (season ends on Halloween), and it's again cold (but not as rainy as April).

"Summer" is from July 4th to Labor Day, although we often get summer'ish weather a couple weeks earlier. But in early-mid June the water is still pretty chilly. So when my kids are tubing or waterskiing they don't want to be in the water...they want to be up on top the water or in the boat. By July the water is over 70 degrees and July/August get almost no rain...just the occasional thundershowers.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:07 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,120 times
If you are planning a move here, weather is a huge thing to consider especially if you are coming from a warmer climate. I like Sage's reference to soccer. Little League starts in April too. It is cold and blustery for most of the season. We can get some ok days to sit out and watch right at the end of May/beginning of June. I love summer, but it is solidly June/July/August. The weather on either side of those months is not dependable for warmth and sunshine; but you could get a handful of good days. There are definitely months of gloomy weather here, IMHO. I love the snowy winters because at least the snow is bright on the ground. If clouds really depress you this may not be your ideal place to land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: