U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2010, 10:02 PM
 
27 posts, read 19,909 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

I don't know if any of the anti-immigrant crowd has done much research on how many conditions you need to enter the country legally. I would like to share this very helpful graphic that demonstrates very simply and accurately how one can enter the US legally:

I agree that anger at immigrants is misguided. Rather than direction towards anyone with skin darker than white or if they are white, if they have a "funny accent", write to your congresspeople and complain about current immigration laws, enforcement, etc. Your congresspeople are the people who have written certain laws and they are the ones that have the power to change them.

One last note, I am not saying that all illegal immigrants that are here are good people because there are some that are plain out bad. HOWEVER, there are a number of people here that are responsible, pay taxes with an ITIN, stay out of trouble with the law, respect others, etc. It is just too bad that all the extremists see is brown=bad and they must be annihilated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2010, 10:14 PM
 
27 posts, read 19,909 times
Reputation: 13
Oops, I apologize for that graphic being so large. :/

Here is a link to the graphic in case anyone would like to educate themselves how difficult immigrating or coming as a non-immigrant can be.

http://cominganarchy.com/wordpress/w...mmigration.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 10:20 PM
 
1,891 posts, read 2,179,360 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by puki View Post
I don't know if any of the anti-immigrant crowd has done much research on how many conditions you need to enter the country legally. I would like to share this very helpful graphic that demonstrates very simply and accurately how one can enter the US legally:

I agree that anger at immigrants is misguided. Rather than direction towards anyone with skin darker than white or if they are white, if they have a "funny accent", write to your congresspeople and complain about current immigration laws, enforcement, etc. Your congresspeople are the people who have written certain laws and they are the ones that have the power to change them.

One last note, I am not saying that all illegal immigrants that are here are good people because there are some that are plain out bad. HOWEVER, there are a number of people here that are responsible, pay taxes with an ITIN, stay out of trouble with the law, respect others, etc. It is just too bad that all the extremists see is brown=bad and they must be annihilated.
I am well aware about the immigration process in America.

America is one of the most developed countries, so naturally, emigrating to America won't come easy, as it should. Guess what? MANY countries that are as developed as USA is as hard, or even harder. Look up what it takes to emigrate to Canada. Also look up what it takes to emigrate to various countries in E.U.

So don't pi$$ and moan about the immigration process. The only easy countries to emigrate are the ones you don't want to emigrate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 PM
 
358 posts, read 332,712 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Thank you for all the stats. Before I can give an informed response, I'll have to check them out for veracity and spin. But I can tell you this. I've worked in the hotel industry for 28 years as a manager and the industry is all "service industry" oriented. There are many hispanic workers in all the properties I had the good fortune to be part of and I can tell you they are the finest workers and most cheerful under the most difficult conditions. At least on a par with any other race of workers and in some ways.......sometimes better. I presently work at one of the top destination resorts in the world and the employee of the year was a hispanic housekeeper named Julia. I spent this evening with four hispanic children in the front yard, who live on my street. We made window boxes of flowers for the seniors on the block. I'll get back to you on how these people are uneducated, inferior human beings once I read your links and see if it's the usual slanted, biased opinion piece from some right wing, fringe, essay artist.
Lol.. the study I was referring to was done by the Chicano studies out of UCLA, was taken from surveys from 1965 through 2000. Only one of it's kind. Good luck debunking fact. You can run a search from the title of the book on this forum, some of my posts still have all the pertinent information that was not censored. And just so we are clear I have worked in the automotive industry for decades and hire a lot of Hispanic workers, I am not questioning the work ethic, simply the burden on society and issues illegal immigration causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 10:26 PM
 
27 posts, read 19,909 times
Reputation: 13
Lariat, The EU is by far the most complicated to immigrate to. Canada, not as much.

I am not complaining about how difficult it is, although I think INA 212 could be re-written in a number of places that would keep the country safe while allowing a much larger number good people the chance to come here legally without it being so difficult.

I am complaining about people like you that have a seemingly white power thing going on. I have read a number of your posts and while I respect your right to free speech, it is disturbing to see how liberally you exercise it despite how you probably dislike everything else that involves being liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 10:28 PM
 
358 posts, read 332,712 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by puki View Post
I don't know if any of the anti-immigrant crowd has done much research on how many conditions you need to enter the country legally. I would like to share this very helpful graphic that demonstrates very simply and accurately how one can enter the US legally:

I agree that anger at immigrants is misguided. Rather than direction towards anyone with skin darker than white or if they are white, if they have a "funny accent", write to your congresspeople and complain about current immigration laws, enforcement, etc. Your congresspeople are the people who have written certain laws and they are the ones that have the power to change them.

One last note, I am not saying that all illegal immigrants that are here are good people because there are some that are plain out bad. HOWEVER, there are a number of people here that are responsible, pay taxes with an ITIN, stay out of trouble with the law, respect others, etc. It is just too bad that all the extremists see is brown=bad and they must be annihilated.
There is a reason we do not open the borders for all the uneducated, low skilled workers of the world to pour in. Read my above post, it's not about how dark your skin is. The only one talking about race are people that cannot understand the problem with illegal immigration. Sorry you are so dense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Arizona
12,734 posts, read 7,358,118 times
Reputation: 6693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
Lol.. the study I was referring to was done by the Chicano studies out of UCLA, was taken from surveys from 1965 through 2000. Only one of it's kind. Good luck debunking fact. You can run a search from the title of the book on this forum, some of my posts still have all the pertinent information that was not censored. And just so we are clear I have worked in the automotive industry for decades and hire a lot of Hispanic workers, I am not questioning the work ethic, simply the burden on society and issues illegal immigration causes.
No one, not me, nor any hispanics I know, nor the church, nor any politician is for illegal immigration. The variances in solutions to the problem is what bothers me. It brings out the most base and ruthless side of the human character. This is the aspect of SB1070 that I dislike and this is the aspect of SB1070 that so many on this forum love. The targeting of a specific group of people as being inferior to others is what bothers me. No human being is inferior to another.
As far as your links, I don't recall debunking any part of it. I reserved judgement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 10:41 PM
 
27 posts, read 19,909 times
Reputation: 13
Iceman82,

Uneducated, low skilled workers CAN enter legally on an H2-A visa and then overstay...but they still entered legally...and you still have the "problem" of uneducated, low skilled workers.

Ironically people who enter legally on visas and marry a US citizen can adjust status...and then there have a legal, uneducated, low skilled person in the US.

Even more ironically, now this legal immigrant is not that different from many people who were born here to US citizen parents because there are plenty of uneducated, unskilled (or what you called "low skilled) "Americans" here.

Strangely, when you say it is not about skin color, it is a difficult argument to pass because your arguments target certain nationalities which have different skin color than your average, white American. Your sociology statistics are also based on a certain group which happens to have brown skin.

Please, if you are so concerned about appearing equal, post some more great sociology statistics on white European immigrants ruining the US in their various, special ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 10:49 PM
 
358 posts, read 332,712 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by puki View Post
Iceman82,

Uneducated, low skilled workers CAN enter legally on an H2-A visa and then overstay...but they still entered legally...and you still have the "problem" of uneducated, low skilled workers.

Ironically people who enter legally on visas and marry a US citizen can adjust status...and then there have a legal, uneducated, low skilled person in the US.

Even more ironically, now this legal immigrant is not that different from many people who were born here to US citizen parents because there are plenty of uneducated, unskilled (or what you called "low skilled) "Americans" here.

Strangely, when you say it is not about skin color, it is a difficult argument to pass because your arguments target certain nationalities which have different skin color than your average, white American. Your sociology statistics are also based on a certain group which happens to have brown skin.

Please, if you are so concerned about appearing equal, post some more great sociology statistics on white European immigrants ruining the US in their various, special ways.
Hmm... what percentage of illegal immigrants in the United States are Hispanic? Mexican? is that my fault? does that make me racist? did you know the H2-A visas for seasonal workers are hardly passed out anymore? know why? we have too many here already. Know how they circumvent the labor laws with agriculture? FLC's. What I wrote was in regards to the Hispanics coming to America, and the burden the majority cause in our economy. Now for the White Europeans ruining America today... I could find not one thing. Does that make me racist? do the facts I post make me a racist? As an American I could care less what nationality illegal immigrants are, it's a matter of how productive they are and what they contribute. That, my friend, is the true problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 11:06 PM
 
27 posts, read 19,909 times
Reputation: 13
It is not that they aren't "hardly passed out anymore" (like candy at a circus!). It is that there are quotas (that haven't changed in years) and also, this visa is difficult for employers to get because they have to prove that they need foreign laborers to do their jobs that most Americans will not take.

I can't imagine why an American wouldn't want to take an agricultural job where they will work 10-12 hour days of moderate-hard labor, no insurance benefits, short breaks, paid $7.25/hr or less (possibly paid by how many containers are filled depending on the crop and task)....hmmmm. Such a puzzling situation.

You said something about not finding anything about white Europeans, which is interesting, because I know a great deal of what some might call "Eurotrash" that have entered the US on the VWP and overstayed it. And what are they doing? Committing crimes and spending time in American jails. No different than some of your favorite people coming from Mexico and Central/South America.

You said that you rate your love/hatred of illegal immigrants by their productivity and contributions. I'm not sure what you mean, exactly, but I will take a broad guess and draw up a quick scenario:

Let's say Jose Manuel enters illegally from Guatemala.

He lives in CA where he works as a dishwasher for minimum wage during the day and in a clothing factory at night. He buys a fake SSN and green card so he can keep that job. He learns he can pay taxes on his wages with an ITIN provided by the IRS (yikes! the IRS!). He files an HONEST TAX RETURN every year he is here. He does not claim a fake amount of dependents on his W4 either...like his friends tell him to do.

He joins the selective service as required by US law because they don't care if you are legal or not as long as you are available in the event of a draft.

He takes the free ESL classes at the local community center.

He stays out of trouble with the police, respects his neighbors, and generally keep a low profile.

Paying taxes? Staying out of jail? Learning English? I don't know, but this sounds pretty productive to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top