U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:29 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,056,012 times

Advertisements

What a freaking nightmare...

I could have sworn I was south of the U.S. border. Almost everyone was speaking Spanish - seriously. The television had advertisements in Spanish. I couldn't tell who was louder. The children screaming or their parents speaking so loudly in Spanish that my head was pounding. Before anyone criticizes, I took Spanish classes for a few years to learn the language, but I never went around yelling Spanish.

THEN, I witness what I found to be the most disturbing thing. An English-speaking rep was giving oral driving questions (a test) to a Spanish-speaking (only) guy. Of course, the Spanish-speaking guy brought his bilingual friend to interpret. Really?? So it's OK for the English-speaking guy (who apparently knew no Spanish) to ask the questions to the bilingual guy, who then interpreted not only the questions, but the choices for answers to the Spanish-speaking guy, and the English-speaking guy never worried that the bilingual guy would be helping him at all? Why wasn't there a bilingual rep giving this test?

After what I witnessed today, I now hold the DMV also responsible for some of the accidents caused by illegal drivers who don't necessarily know, understand, nor care about the rules of the road.

Now aside from that, I've been to the DMV a few times; however I've never seen it quite so busy and with 90 percent of the customers being Latino. I'm quite curious to know what the mad rush was to get there today.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:33 PM

364 posts, read 184,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post

I could have sworn I was south of the U.S. border. Almost everyone was speaking Spanish - seriously. The television had advertisements in Spanish. I couldn't tell who was louder. The children screaming or their parents speaking so loudly in Spanish that my head was pounding. Before anyone criticizes, I took Spanish classes for a few years to learn the language, but I never went around yelling Spanish.

THEN, I witness what I found to be the most disturbing thing. An English-speaking rep was giving oral driving questions (a test) to a Spanish-speaking (only) guy. Of course, the Spanish-speaking guy brought his bilingual friend to interpret. Really?? So it's OK for the English-speaking guy (who apparently knew no Spanish) to ask the questions to the bilingual guy, who then interpreted not only the questions, but the choices for answers to the Spanish-speaking guy, and the English-speaking guy never worried that the bilingual guy would be helping him at all? Why wasn't there a bilingual rep giving this test?

After what I witnessed today, I now hold the DMV also responsible for some of the accidents caused by illegal drivers who don't necessarily know, understand, nor care about the rules of the road.

Now aside from that, I've been to the DMV a few times; however I've never seen it quite so busy and with 90 percent of the customers being Latino. I'm quite curious to know what the mad rush was there today.
lemme guess
51 an indian school
that dmv is getto

Old 06-10-2010, 07:11 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,179,786 times
To turn into their plates, because they're moving back to their home country?!

I can dream.

It's not as bad here, but I'd say about 50% of the customers at my local DMV is sweaty spanish guys stinking the joint up with $1 deodorants. It dropped slightly after the state adopted the real ID act.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:16 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,026,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJackson1980 View Post
lemme guess
51 an indian school
that dmv is getto
You beat me to it! We lived close to there but would go to Tolleson for any driving/car needs.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:33 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,947,941 times
anyone give birth in the waiting room ?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:37 PM

3,437 posts, read 5,346,745 times
Phoenix is the biggest craphole I have ever lived in, weird combination of illegal immigrants, criminals from other states, White trash and White supremacists. One of the few cities I have lived in that I hated with a passion, don't miss it at all!

Old 06-10-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Phoenix is the biggest craphole I have ever lived in, weird combination of illegal immigrants, criminals from other states, White trash and White supremacists. One of the few cities I have lived in that I hated with a passion, don't miss it at all!
So tell me how that's any different from where you are now.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
anyone give birth in the waiting room ?
I don't know...I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between labor screams and Spanish yelling.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:06 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,774 times
Quote:

Now aside from that, I've been to the DMV a few times; however I've never seen it quite so busy and with 90 percent of the customers being Latino. I'm quite curious to know what the mad rush was to get there today.
That's messed up. In a different language situation, I went to a U.S. ran Mexican cuisine restaurant and the woman serving me couldn't even speak English. I asked her, "What is the chicken cooked with?" You know, basically trying to find out the flavor of it, what spices. She gives me a look that shows she doesn't understand, I repeat it and then she goes to get a co-worker who spoke broken English. So, after realizing that neither of them spoke good English, I asked them in Spanish and they easily answered me then.

1) how could the owners allow the hiring of people who don't understand and can't speak English? Now, this is in a nice development and shopping center and amongst a neighborhood of $1 million homes. The people aren't native Spanish-speakers, so you need theemployees who are dealing with the public to speak English. Neither of these two employees spoke English well enough. I know the owner of the franchise operation and also know the evening shift manager. The evening shift manager is Hispanic (from Mexico) and I know that he prefers to hire other Mexicans. He hired this lady, but it turns out that she doesn't speak English. I think this is borderline discrimination. 2) what happens when there is an emergency or something?

Old 06-11-2010, 01:19 AM

3,437 posts, read 5,346,745 times
Quote:
So tell me how that's any different from where you are now.
Well, comparing Des Moines, Iowa to Phoenix is like comparing apples and oranges but the Hispanic population here is like 6% vs 48% in Phoenix, we do not have Hispanic ghettos like they do in Phoenix and most Hispanics here are more integrated. Phoenix murder rate per 100.000 people is 15.4, here in Des Moines is 3.1. Vehicle theft in Phoenix per 100000 is 3 times higher than here in Des Moines. Having a high % of Hispanics and being close to the border seems to be the problem here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or