U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 04:47 PM

12,758 posts, read 7,387,317 times

Advertisements

[quote=1AngryTaxPayer;14575835]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I need to apologize for using the words "you". I edited my previous hasty posting.

I agree they won't all leave. I also believe that we need to increase AG visas. My biggest concern is our Social Service network and how it is being gamed by those coming here to live off of it.
I take no offense. It's a red flag issue that fosters heated response from all sides.

Your concerns are the very same as my concerns when it comes to gaming the system. Once we close the borders, tighten up the employment verification and take an accurate count of who's here, we can mitigate the impact of the immigrants on the social service system. At least that's the way I see the progression of immigration reform and enforcement. Those that speak out against comprehensive immigration reform are being gamed by the politicians. Politicians don't want comprehensive immigration reform if it's done by either other party. The hispanic vote will forever be in the camp of the party who passes it and provide immense political clout. Tea party is big but it ain't a flea on a dog's back compared to the hispanic vote. If the politicians can spend 8 billion a month chasing a bunch of Afghans around their own country, those same politicians could just as easily spend 1 billion a month in securing our borders. But it wouldn't be a politically expedient move for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 05:48 PM

32,911 posts, read 30,173,166 times
[quote=mohawkx;14576736]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

I take no offense. It's a red flag issue that fosters heated response from all sides.

Your concerns are the very same as my concerns when it comes to gaming the system. Once we close the borders, tighten up the employment verification and take an accurate count of who's here, we can mitigate the impact of the immigrants on the social service system. At least that's the way I see the progression of immigration reform and enforcement. Those that speak out against comprehensive immigration reform are being gamed by the politicians. Politicians don't want comprehensive immigration reform if it's done by either other party. The hispanic vote will forever be in the camp of the party who passes it and provide immense political clout. Tea party is big but it ain't a flea on a dog's back compared to the hispanic vote. If the politicians can spend 8 billion a month chasing a bunch of Afghans around their own country, those same politicians could just as easily spend 1 billion a month in securing our borders. But it wouldn't be a politically expedient move for them.
I partially agree. Ignoring those that are already here rewards them for their behavior. Telling a thief it's ok to keep loot just because they are poor isn't exactly sending the proper message to the rest of the thieves. I would like to see that money being spent chasing Bin Laden spent here but I'd rather see it being spent on ICE and BP rather than the military. Over a million people being added to this Country a year is way too many in my opinion. That is like adding a small State every year and it's not going to be stable or sustainable, especially if they are all poor.

Plus, what is the cutoff? 5 years? 10 years? Chasing down their history would be as difficult as keeping the border secure. I just don't see many options besides deport and defend the border. Self-deportation has already been attempted and successful.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:42 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
[quote=1AngryTaxPayer;14577417]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post

I partially agree. Ignoring those that are already here rewards them for their behavior. Telling a thief it's ok to keep loot just because they are poor isn't exactly sending the proper message to the rest of the thieves. I would like to see that money being spent chasing Bin Laden spent here but I'd rather see it being spent on ICE and BP rather than the military. Over a million people being added to this Country a year is way too many in my opinion. That is like adding a small State every year and it's not going to be stable or sustainable, especially if they are all poor.

Plus, what is the cutoff? 5 years? 10 years? Chasing down their history would be as difficult as keeping the border secure. I just don't see many options besides deport and defend the border. Self-deportation has already been attempted and successful.
Great points.
imagine that you catch your child taking cookies from the cookie jar not only without permission but after you said no. Would you let him keep the cookies? Of course not, because that would send the message that rules are only words but mean nothing.
The last amnesty sent such a message and we now enjoy an illegal invasion. The message of course was re-enforced by no real immigration enforcment along with an open borders policy.
The argument that these are honest hard working people falls flat in light of the fact that so many illegals go on to commit crimes other than simply entering illegally
What really stands out to prove both your points and mine are the many protests staged to try and force amnesty or an even more relaxed approach to immigration control.
Illegals have become bold. They feel entitled. They demand special consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or