U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:27 AM

364 posts, read 184,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralOregonDude02 View Post
I'm strongly for securing the border.

If I were president, I would build a 10 foot concrete wall from the Rio Grande to the Pacific. The concrete would go in the ground at a depth of 10 feet also to lessen the risk of people digging under it. Finally, the only ways into Mexico/out of Mexico to enter the US would be through major highways.

I know that sounds far fetched, but that's personally what I think needs to be done. Since closing the border would be hurtful to the US's commerce, then we must extremely secure it.

I have nothing against the Mexican people. I have met many respectable Mexicans that are learning English while holding down a steady job. They are contributing to society. It's the Mexicans that come here illegally and expect all their needs to be met at the taxpayer's expense that make me mad. If I answer the phone one more time at work and hear "Speak Spanish?" on the other end, I will go postal. No, the US doesn't have an official language, but English wins the majority and you need to be able to speak it to do basic functions in everyday life in America. It's these kinds of Mexican people that give the hard-working, contributing Mexicans a horrible stereotype.
e germany did that til 1989
tha wall workd well
tha diference was tha german ppl
e or west did not want it
most americans want mexico
cut off from tha usa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 08:41 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,789,541 times
Nothing wrong with sealing the southern border to conrol the flow of illegals and drugs into the US. The illegal should be directed to legal ports of entry and be forced to apply like everyone else does in immigration.

Illegal drugs, that's another problem which will likely never stop until "illegal" drugs are legalized and dealt with as a national health problem rather than a criminal one. If the demand were controlled in the US through private enterprise and regulated by law, the supply would be controlled in Mexico.

Now as for business moving south to Mx. No one is asking why? The American government and the Unions that are in bed with them, have driven the business out of the US with all of its regulations and government interference in business. So, if you want to look for who is at fault, look towards the government of the last 30 years, not NAFTA. We trade regularly with Canada under NAFTA, and I don't see anyone bashing them.

Get the story straight, it is the over regulation of the government in business along with union intrusions supported by government, that has driven production out of the US, not NAFTA.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Ridiculous, the benefits would far outweigh the losses. Think about how many jobs would be created here in the US when companies like Levi's and GE had to close their Mexican maquiladoras and move them back to the US. Fixing the problems is a naive option. The more they talk about fixing the problems the worse the problems get. The only people benefiting from cross border trade are the Corporations who are getting cheap labor while at the same time being able to charge the same prices. Mexico has nothing to offer the US except border violence, drug cartels, a culture of mordita, and an endless stream of illegal immigrants who have no respect for our laws, rights, or our culture. Our relationship with Mexico is like a cancer eating away our security, prosperity, and lifestyle. .
I agree mostly with all that you have said here almost! Except there would not need to be a need for DRUG CARTELS, if our lovely American Society, and Hollywood Elites, were not PILL POPPING JERKS. Do some really have to pop a pill, in order to feel good about themselves? or Life hogwash. If you have to take pills to feel good about life, then there is something drastically missing, from you life. Remember for those that have done Drugs, along with those HIGHS, YOU HAVE MANY LOWS! Sad thing is, Drugs will always be around.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:28 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Well yes it would

For to long Mexico has taken advantage of Americas
good will and not to mention the cash we've given
them to combat the drug cartels

It's time that the Mexican Government be held accountable
for their actions and cut off the golden nipple !

I agree with you! however, I don't believe that the Mexican Government cares about being held accountable for their ACTIONS. I truly don't.Their the problem why so many in their Country come to our Country by illegeal means.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:46 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,119,545 times
[
Quote:
Now as for business moving south to Mx. No one is asking why? The American government and the Unions that are in bed with them, have driven the business out of the US with all of its regulations and government interference in business. So, if you want to look for who is at fault, look towards the government of the last 30 years, not NAFTA. We trade regularly with Canada under NAFTA, and I don't see anyone bashing them.

Get the story straight, it is the over regulation of the government in business along with union intrusions supported by government, that has driven production out of the US, not NAFTA.
Just to set the record straight...
(North American Free Trade Agreement) is a comprehensive free trade accord inaugurated in 1994 among United States, Canada, and Mexico. NAFTA called for the immediate elimination of duties on about half of all U.S. goods shipped to Mexico and a gradual phase-out of other tariffs over a period of about 14 years. The debate on NAFTA was vigorous. Large corporations tended to support NAFTA, while U.S. and Canadian trade unions were against NAFTA; opposition to NAFTA also came from environmental and social advocacy groups. The NAFTA debate culminated in a memorable face-off on TV between (pro-NAFTA) Vice President Al Gore and (anti-NAFTA) third-party Presidential candidate Ross Perot.

"The historical record is clear. The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace reports, "Real wages for most Mexicans today are lower than when NAFTA took effect." Post-NAFTA, companies looking to exploit those low wages relocated factories to Mexico. According to the Economic Policy Institute, the net effect of NAFTA was the elimination of 1 million American jobs".

Old 06-17-2010, 07:44 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,106,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
[
Just to set the record straight...
(North American Free Trade Agreement) is a comprehensive free trade accord inaugurated in 1994 among United States, Canada, and Mexico. NAFTA called for the immediate elimination of duties on about half of all U.S. goods shipped to Mexico and a gradual phase-out of other tariffs over a period of about 14 years. The debate on NAFTA was vigorous. Large corporations tended to support NAFTA, while U.S. and Canadian trade unions were against NAFTA; opposition to NAFTA also came from environmental and social advocacy groups. The NAFTA debate culminated in a memorable face-off on TV between (pro-NAFTA) Vice President Al Gore and (anti-NAFTA) third-party Presidential candidate Ross Perot.

"The historical record is clear. The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace reports, "Real wages for most Mexicans today are lower than when NAFTA took effect." Post-NAFTA, companies looking to exploit those low wages relocated factories to Mexico. According to the Economic Policy Institute, the net effect of NAFTA was the elimination of 1 million American jobs".
Don't forget that our cheap farm imports undercut Mexican agricultural goods, eliminating many many jobs that the campesinos depended on for a livelihood. The vast majority of these illegal Mexicans sneaking in through the border were negatively affected by NAFTA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or