U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 05:24 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times

Advertisements

What happened to that ole - "illegals only come to take the jobs Americans don't want"?

An awful lot of Americans are being deprived of a full ride to Harvard. Why should foreign citizens skip out on paying the foreign student tuition rate just because they're here breaking the laws?

He would be amazed to realize there are fine universities in his own country I'm sure - but that's a fact. He has every opportunity to attend university - unlike many Americans, but he can return home or apply as a legal foreign student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 05:28 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puki View Post
Don't worry. All of you can rest easy at night knowing that there is one less brown person in the US.

PS - Some scholarships can be granted to those without legal status as legal status is not always a requirement for granting scholarship money.
Look at this way - maybe one more brown AMERICAN can have a chance to go to college. This guy most likely was cashing in on one of those scholarships for minority AMERICAN students who otherwise have no chance to attend college.

And - this guy has free tuition in his own country, many of Mexico's state universities charge no tuition for their own citizens but would not provide one solitary USA citizen, brown, black, white or purple a free university education.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:34 PM

27 posts, read 19,933 times
That is not true about Mexico's university system. Quiet the opposite is true. There is not such thing as free college tuition in Mexico unless you have worked for the government before (and even that is usually discounted tuition), you have a scholarship, or you have family that works in the school. It is pretty similar to the US university system, at least in the way it works for tuition payments.

I'm going to post one, just one, link to a very large public university (and well known) system in Mexico. It reflects pretty standard costs of tuition. This is in pesos:

Colegiaturas - Universidad de las Américas Puebla (http://www.udlap.mx/Admisiones/licenciatura/costoscolegiaturas.aspx - broken link)

SoEdible, he had no chance of becoming a resident here unless he had a petitioner, which he didn't/doesn't. If he had left the US less than 180 days after his 18th birthday, he would have technically had no illegal presence counted against him and he could have applied for a non-immigrant student visa which probably would have been granted. You can read about this illegal presence law put into act by your lawmakers back in 1996 in INA 212 (a)(9)(B).

Old 06-12-2010, 05:39 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,590,837 times
Quote:
SoEdible, he had no chance of becoming a resident here unless he had a petitioner, which he didn't/doesn't. If he had left the US less than 180 days after his 18th birthday, he would have technically had no illegal presence counted against him and he could have applied for a non-immigrant student visa. You can read about this law put into act by your lawmakers back in 1996 in INA 212 (a)(9)(B).
Exactly and that is my point: I am sure he knew of his options. Especially considering how knowledge he appears to be. The point is that many undocumented residents, workers and students don't start crying and having concern for their status (shown by taking SOME action) until they are caught.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:41 PM

Just because he was going to be studying molecular biology at Harvard does not mean he had knowledge of federal immigration laws besides the fact he knew he was probably here illegally...which he WASN'T until 180 days after his 18th birthday.

This is despite the fact his family entered without inspection.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:54 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,184,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Overall, I do respect anyone that works as hard as he apparently has. I do believe that just because you are enrolled in a prestigious college that it doesn't make you on the path to legal status. Also, he is taking the spot of a legal international student (apparently, he registered as an international student) at Harvard.
So this kid was skirting the law? What a shocking revelation.

See, most illegals always try to take advantage of something just because they're not a legal citizen of the USA...deport him.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:29 PM

358 posts, read 333,287 times
Quote:
Just because he was going to be studying molecular biology at Harvard does not mean he had knowledge of federal immigration laws besides the fact he knew he was probably here illegally...which he WASN'T until 180 days after his 18th birthday.

This is despite the fact his family entered without inspection.
Noo... You are right. A kid like that would have No Idea what his status in America meant.. wow- are you implying South Americans are THAT stupid?? Are you racist? According to you I hang out with White trash criminals.. I just had an epiphany!! YOU ARE RACIST!! OMG!! I should report you....

Old 06-12-2010, 06:58 PM

12,000 posts, read 6,614,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
Noo... You are right. A kid like that would have No Idea what his status in America meant.. wow- are you implying South Americans are THAT stupid?? Are you racist? According to you I hang out with White trash criminals.. I just had an epiphany!! YOU ARE RACIST!! OMG!! I should report you....
No kidding! Kid gets a full scholarship to Harvard but is too dumb to realize he is here illegally. BUT, he is smart enough to register as an international student.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:22 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,972,991 times
What's with the "COULD face deportation"

more bleeding heart sob stories - yes they've graduated high school on OUR dime and now they can't work here or go to college legally - well BOOFnHOO

Old 06-12-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
Yes, he probably didn't know he could leave the country and not have any penalty for the illegal entry as a minor. Does that make him "stupid"? If so, then it makes you just as stupid because you don't know the ins and outs of immigration law either.

You are really good at making big, sweeping generalizations just like this kid did: assuming he was present illegally and had to lie to go to Harvard when in reality, he has been present illegally for the past year despite entering at the age of 4 (or whatever age it was).

I still don't understand all this bitching though. He got caught. He has to answer for his illegal presence. That is why in my original post said that all of you can rest easy because there will be one less all powerful illegal immigrant in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration