U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:39 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,931,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Nope. Can't do that. Article 1, Section 9, clause 3.

It would be an ex post facto law.
Not debating your post. I'll take your word for it. However, the states and the feds don't seem to have a struggle when they pass tax laws that are often retroactive. PA did it back in the 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 07:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 18,572,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Amending the US constitution's 14th amendment and Arizona writing a birth right citizenship law for Az is two totally diferent and separate issues.

If the American people want to amend the 14th, so be it.

but Az has no right to make any law that abridges or defines US citizenship...none
Yes, they are 2 separate issues, but one may well pave the way for the other--or at least some correction to this insane abuse of the 14th, which came about as a result of the Dred Scott case. It was meant to give citizenship to former slaves--not citizenship to illegal alien litters.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:29 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,096,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
As usual, your not listening.
and as usual your posts make no sense. What do you mean "I dont listen"? do you mean, I dont understand or comprehend? this is a writen forum...no one is "speaking".

Old 06-14-2010, 08:36 PM

364 posts, read 185,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Nope. Can't do that. Article 1, Section 9, clause 3.

It would be an ex post facto law.
jim crow was tha law o tha land
it was changed
maybe anchor babys
will lose there citizenship

Old 06-14-2010, 09:41 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,210,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJackson1980 View Post
it was changed
maybe anchor babys
I really hope so. Maybe there's some hope in the last sentence of the amendment

Old 06-15-2010, 05:36 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,096,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Yes, they are 2 separate issues, but one may well pave the way for the other--or at least some correction to this insane abuse of the 14th, which came about as a result of the Dred Scott case. It was meant to give citizenship to former slaves--not citizenship to illegal alien litters.
You can argue what the original intention of the amendment was all you like, but the Supreme court and the Federal government have set precedent in the application of the citizen clause. Precedent is not very easily and and almost never overturned.

No State's law will or can change the current interpretation. A law from Congress has more chance, but still little. An amendment to constitution expressly forbiding US citizenship to any person born on US soil of alien parents, will change the current interpretaion of the 14th.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:06 AM

10,657 posts, read 11,374,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
This time America has taken notice and this time America will speak. I think this one will have a great chance of passing.

Arizona targets 'anchor baby' citizenship - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com
YES!!!!!!!!!! IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:08 AM

10,657 posts, read 11,374,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
This is AMAZING. We have needing this law for a LONG TIME. I cannot wait until it passes. I have no doubt it will pass!

I agree totally!! American citizenship has been "cheapened" for waaay too long! It should take more than someone dropping a baby through a birth canal. Even for a "legal" foreign tourist.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:06 AM

20,894 posts, read 13,165,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJackson1980 View Post
it was changed
maybe anchor babys
Maybe prospectively. Never retroactively.

Besides being an unconstitutional ex post facto law, retroactive loss of birthright citizenship would render tens of millions of American (who have been here for generations) stateless.

It's a silly idea.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:10 AM

20,894 posts, read 13,165,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not debating your post. I'll take your word for it. However, the states and the feds don't seem to have a struggle when they pass tax laws that are often retroactive. PA did it back in the 90's.
That's because the Constitutional prohibition of ex post facto laws applies only to criminal matters, not civil. You can pass retroactive civil laws all day long if you want.

Criminal? Not so much.

Retroactive denial of birthright citizenship would turn tens of millions of Americans... even some who have been here for generations... into "illegal aliens," a criminal not a civil status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or