U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:48 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,186,151 times

Advertisements

HappyTexan is correct. I just found out that Oklahoma, Texas' neighbor, has also a in-state program for children of illegal aliens. Birthright is not questioned, so I'm assuming it is for anchor babies and illegal kids alike. Kind of ironic considering their stance on illegal aliens and the laws they've passed!

This is an excerpt from the DEA, out of all places:

Quote:
New Legislation: The Oklahoma Taxpayer and Citizen Protection Act of 2007 [HB 1804 text, DOC] denies illegal immigrants state identification, and requires all state and local agencies to verify citizenship status of applicants before authorizing benefits. The law also requires public employers to enter job applicants into an electronic immigration database to verify legal status.

Among other things, it contains employment, labor law and civil rights provisions to protect citizens and legal immigrants who lose their jobs at companies that employ illegal immigrants to perform the same or similar work. The measure targets employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens in order to gain a competitive advantage. Key elements of the bill focus on determining worker eligibility, including technology called the Basic Pilot program, which screens Social Security numbers to make sure they are real and that they match up with the job applicant's name. Created by the federal government to verify the eligibility of government employees, use of the program is mandated in Georgia, authorities said. It is free to employers who voluntarily sign up. Public agencies will be required to use the program beginning Nov. 1 and private companies by July 1, 2008. The measure would also limit state driver's licenses and identity cards to citizens and legal immigrants and would require state and local agencies to verify the citizenship and immigration status of applicants for state or local benefits. It also retains an in-state tuition program for children of illegal immigrants attending state colleges and universities. The measure now allows students to continue paying in-state tuition but new applicants must apply for citizenship within one year. The measure would not affect emergency medical and humanitarian services, such as visits to hospital emergency rooms and enrollment in public schools that are required by federal law.
http://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/state_factsheets/oklahoma.html (broken link) - Bottom of the page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 11:02 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,594,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
I read it about a while ago. It only shows up if you select Spanish as the language on that site. How dirty!
Exactly and I mentioned that in a thread I created. Basically, because I speak Spanish, I notice the ways that illegal immigrants are reached out to by pro illegal immigrant groups and other illegal immigrants. It is dirty, like you said. Very dirty. Under our own nose, our cities are catering to them and people who don't speak Spanish, but are passionate about reducing illegal immigration don't even know half of what is really going on. The websites for our government agencies are totally different for Spanish-speaking people. It's truly messed up and I am wondering if we can take this to the federal justice system or something to fight discrimination against us (US born and non Spanish-speaking natives) based on national origin.

Who else here speaks Spanish?

Quote:
These were supposed to be direct translations of the articles, but they are not. This to me is very telling of the sneaky ways that many of this "Hispanic" groups and services are trying to fool the population or how they are working to support undocumented people. They act like they aren't just for Hispanics or that they are just providing community services.

Pay attention to that if you speak Spanish and see if you notice the little ways that groups, businesses and publications try to reach out to illegal immigrants or inform them of loopholes, etc.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:05 PM

4,310 posts, read 7,922,107 times
Its okay if they offer college classes to illegals. No, really.

In Texas we have what's called sales taxes and property taxes. Illegals pay into those taxes (buying stuff and renting apartments), so as long as they are in district they are eligible and they are taxpayers.

But they should pay full price (as in the full price a person in district or out of district should pay, depending on if the illegal is in district or out of district) - they shouldn't be eligible for scholarships.

But that college district should have this stuff in English - There are illegals from non-Spanish speaking countries, and I'm sure some are in the county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I don't know how many if you can read Spanish, but I've found this that you should be aware of.

DCCCD: ¿No Tiene Seguro Social? HB 1403 Es para Usted.

Don't know how many of you can read Spanish so allow me to translate:

¿No Tiene Seguro Social? HB 1403 Es para Usted.
Don't have Social Security (number)? HB 1403 is for you.

• Haberse graduado de una preparatoria de Texas
  • Haber vivido en el estado de Texas por tres años
  • Haber obtenido el G.E.D. por medio de una preparatoria pública o privada en el estado de Texas
  • No haberse inscrito en una Universidad o Colegio antes del semestre de otoño del 2001
  • Firmar un affidávit en el colegio de su elección asegurando que va a solicitar residencia legal tan pronto como sea elegible.
Point 1: Have graduated from a Texan high school
Point 2: Have lived in the state of Texas for 3 years
Point 3: Have obtained a G.E.D. from a public or private high school in Texas
Point 4: Have not been admitted to college or university before Fall 2001
Point 5: Sign an affidavit in the college of your choice assuring that you'll petition for legal residency as soon as you become eligible

By the way HB 1403 is also known as the Noriega Bill in the Texas General Assembly. Oh and, all you Texas Conservatives that think electing the GOP will save the US in November, big proud Texan man Rick Perry signed the bill, didn't even bother vetoing it. Don't bother thinking the GOP will rescue any of us in the fall, they won't.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:11 AM

23,888 posts, read 10,085,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I am a native-born Texan--and lived there for over 55 years. I daresay I know a lot more about it than YOU do. Who the hell said that Texas was beholden (not beholding) to anybody? As far as YOU'RE concerned, Texas SHOULD be beholden to illegal aliens.

And...I frankly don't give a damn what people like YOU think, either.

Had you bothered to look at my tagline, you might have been aware that I am from Texas. But no. You do little else than spout off your big mouth. You are one of the least observant people on this forum. I bet you don't even know where the Davis Mountains are, or much else.

You can't even compose a post without grammatical errors in it. I think it would be too much of a strain for you.

And...in the likely event that you are not aware of it, neither Bush was a Texan, not even the younger.

Perry, yep. But he's a politician who hispanders to get the vote. He's not necessarily enamored of illegals as Bush the younger was, but he's running for his third term, and is afraid of alienating the hispanic voters.
Agreed. Rick "Bailout" Perry is a horrible guv'nor.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:21 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,096,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
And we should all say the same thing about Arizona. They aren't beholding to any other state and what they do is their own business. I do however think as U.S. citizens our states should support one another in their decision making otherwise we become a divided nation.

not when it effects other Americans...SB1070 effects all Americans in AZ or traveling Thru AZ.

The new proposed AZ citizenship law would effect Americans born in AZ...Will AZ honor Americans born in other states of non-citizen parents if they move to AZ?

Texas kids going to Texas State schools does not effect any other person in any other State.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:41 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
not when it effects other Americans...SB1070 effects all Americans in AZ or traveling Thru AZ.

The new proposed AZ citizenship law would effect Americans born in AZ...Will AZ honor Americans born in other states of non-citizen parents if they move to AZ?

Texas kids going to Texas State schools does not effect any other person in any other State.
We have discussed the Arizona law over and over in here. You know better than to claim yet again that it will affect the citizens of this country. I really get tired of the continued lies and propaganda about this law.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
We have discussed the Arizona law over and over in here. You know better than to claim yet again that it will affect the citizens of this country. I really get tired of the continued lies and propaganda about this law.
Are you saying that a person from Illinois[or any state], traveling thru Az, is not subject to SB1070; and if that person commits a moving violation... Are you saying that the act of showing a Out-of State Drivers license exempts that person from being asked his immigration status?

That effects persons living out side of Arizona.

you dont have to debate...I know you feel Az can write laws that will impact on all Americans...I dont believe AZ has that right. No debate needed.

As someone stated on another forum, AZ is writing the proposed Az citizenship law so that "America" will see that there is a "problem" with the 14th amendment and work to change the amendment. Then AZ will be writing laws that effect all Ameicans...or try to.

A kid using Texas State funds to go to a Texas school does not effect the residents of Illinois.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:26 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Quote:
Are you saying that a person from Illinois[or any state], traveling thru Az, is not subject to SB1070; and if that person commits a moving violation... Are you saying that the act of showing a Out-of State Drivers license exempts that person from being asked his immigration status?

That effects persons living out side of Arizona.

you dont have to debate...I know you feel Az can write laws that will impact on all Americans...I dont believe AZ has that right. No debate needed.

As someone stated on another forum, AZ is writing the proposed Az citizenship law so that "America" will see that there is a "problem" with the 14th amendment and work to change the amendment. Then AZ will be writing laws that effect all Ameicans...or try to.

A kid using Texas State funds to go to a Texas school does not effect the residents of Illinois.
quote=1751texan;14648732]"Are you saying that a person from Illinois[or any state], traveling thru Az, is not subject to SB1070; and if that person commits a moving violation... Are you saying that the act of showing a Out-of State Drivers license exempts that person from being asked his immigration status"?

Yes, I am saying that because it is true! If an out of state citizen travels to Arizona and has their valid DL and is stopped for a traffic violation that out of state DL is sufficient to clear them from any questions about their immigration status. So again I reiterate the Arizona law will not negatively impact citizens of another state.

Whatever Arizona does to deny anchors citizenship it will be a deterrant for illegals not to drop their anchors in Arizona.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:37 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,210,401 times
Quote:
Actually it does affect Illinois residents, and residents of other states. Haven't you heard of the US Department of Education that provides FEDERAL funds to the 50 states to support educational programs? And where does federal money come from? From the taxes of Americans living in ALL the states and territories

Old 06-17-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
quote=1751texan;14648732]"Are you saying that a person from Illinois[or any state], traveling thru Az, is not subject to SB1070; and if that person commits a moving violation... Are you saying that the act of showing a Out-of State Drivers license exempts that person from being asked his immigration status"?

Yes, I am saying that because it is true! If an out of state citizen travels to Arizona and has their valid DL and is stopped for a traffic violation that out of state DL is sufficient to clear them from any questions about their immigration status. So again I reiterate the Arizona law will not negatively impact citizens of another state.

Whatever Arizona does to deny anchors citizenship it will be a deterrant for illegals not to drop their anchors in Arizona.
Could you please cite in AZ SB1070 were that "out of state" exemption exists?

The State of New York allows undocumented aliens a Driver's License, so if they drive thru AZ they are free and clear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration