U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:01 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,212,130 times

Advertisements

This is from a Nurse who has to put up with Hospitalized Illegal Immigrants.
She posted her story on another forum and ask that it would be passed around the internet for others to read.

unmodified:
Quote:
Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:27 pm Post subject: Another nurse vent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, folks, but this is the ONLY place it seems I can come and describe and whine about my experiences taking care of illegal aliens in our nation's hospitals.

Today I had one who was HIV postive, syphillis pos at the ripe old age of 24. I think he had incarceration in his history r/t a hit and run. He also has a brain tumor.

All day long I've been fussing and dealing with him, at the expense of time w/ my other deserving patients. He's refusing treatment, states he wants to die, and has pulled out various tubes and IV's and is at the point where he can't swallow food, so they can't feed him.

He can't be fed, he can't walk, he's emaciated, and he's end stage HIV.
He takes up all the time of the nurses because he keeps ripping out IV's and trying to get out of bed, only to fall on his face because he can't walk. He just refuses all treatment we have to offer.

I mean -- it's PITIFUL. Absolutely pitiful. Whatever this man did or had done to him to have these diseases at his age -- I can't even imagine. It's sad, but I have no sympathy. He's here illegally, family in El Salvador except one young girl he calls his sister.

And so, day after day, he remains in our hospital. He's been deemed psychological incapable of making decisions, so we have to continue to treat him!!!

Taxpayers, Americans -- just forget it. If we continue this, there will be no tomorrow for any of us.

WHY isn't this person ICE'D out of here and returned to his home country??? He wants to DIE. He's rEfusing medical treatement. Why is it OUR responsibility?? Can anyone call the El Salvadorean government and ask them to take over his treatment. He's here illegally -- IT'S NOT FAIR TO AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it's damn NOT fair to us nurses. I have worn myself ragged today dealing with him, and dealing also w/ elderly folks, also w/ welfare case crazy folks in general. Honestly, no one would believe what we nurses are dealing with in our hospitals today. No one. Here I am being exposed to God knows what dealing with these people.

God help us all.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 06-14-2010 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 11:12 PM

12,738 posts, read 7,363,883 times
Yes. A very compelling tale of human and fiscal woe. Written by a true professional. Will tug the heartstrings of Scrooge McDuck himself. Fish heads in a slop pail is what I say. My opinion on the post. No attack on the person who posted it.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:09 AM

5,942 posts, read 3,240,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
This is from a Nurse who has to put up with Hospitalized Illegal Immigrants.
She posted her story on another forum and ask that it would be passed around the internet for others to read.

unmodified:
Where did you get this? Is it a chain e-mail?

IF this was written by a real nurse (I have my doubts), he/she needs to surrender her license and get another job.

He/she has passed judgement on all her patients (read the entire post again). "Deserving patients?" That is one huge red flag right there. That is a no-no.

States he/she is out of sympathy. Well, guess what? A nurse is not to have sympathy, but empathy. Has no empathy.

Complains about hard work. Gee, what did this nurse think the job was going to be like? News flash: nursing IS hard work. Not everyone is cut out for it.

Exposure to pathogens is part of the job. That is why you must practice universal precautions.

Please.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:06 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,088,512 times
How unprofessional. I thank God for all the Men and Women in the health care field that have helped me...with compassion, dedication, and most of all professionalism.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:17 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,180,489 times
Nurses gotta rant somewhere. The post tells me she ranted in a safe place.

And to think some of us can't even afford health care...

Old 06-15-2010, 01:13 PM

20,894 posts, read 13,119,971 times
God save me from nurses like that one.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:20 PM

85,004 posts, read 98,863,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Where did you get this? Is it a chain e-mail?

IF this was written by a real nurse (I have my doubts), he/she needs to surrender her license and get another job.

He/she has passed judgement on all her patients (read the entire post again). "Deserving patients?" That is one huge red flag right there. That is a no-no.

States he/she is out of sympathy. Well, guess what? A nurse is not to have sympathy, but empathy. Has no empathy.

Complains about hard work. Gee, what did this nurse think the job was going to be like? News flash: nursing IS hard work. Not everyone is cut out for it.

Exposure to pathogens is part of the job. That is why you must practice universal precautions.

Please.
I, too, have my doubts that this was written by a real nurse. I agree that if so, s/he should reliquish the license right now. I can still remember back to one of my first days in nursing school, in 1969. We were taught that whoever the patient was, we were to care for him/her equally. I explained this to a friend, that if Osama bin Laden showed up at our office (actually, it's a pediatric office, so he'd probably be bringing in his grandchild, but anyway. . . ), we'd treat him the same as anyone else.

This person is getting paid, isn't s/he?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:26 PM

3,858 posts, read 5,962,340 times
The source:
Illegal Immigration: Americans Fighting Back/ www.alipac.us/ftopicp-1069633.html
Illegal Immigration: Americans Fighting Back/ www.alipac.us/fsearch-author-jjmm.html

Old 06-15-2010, 07:21 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,954,111 times
Nowhere did it say she wasn't giving this patient care - and she said "other deserving patients" - please read, people, she didn't say he didn't deserve care.

She/he is just frustrated at providing care to someone that shouldn't even BE here.

Glad these other posters have jobs that are so perfect they don't have any rants re their workplace practices. - sigh

Old 06-15-2010, 08:19 PM

85,004 posts, read 98,863,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Nowhere did it say she wasn't giving this patient care - and she said "other deserving patients" - please read, people, she didn't say he didn't deserve care.

She/he is just frustrated at providing care to someone that shouldn't even BE here.

Glad these other posters have jobs that are so perfect they don't have any rants re their workplace practices. - sigh
What s/he said was "All day long I've been fussing and dealing with him, at the expense of time w/ my other deserving patients.

I interpreted what she said to mean "other deserving patients".

She also said, "It's sad, but I have no sympathy."

What a biatch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration