Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:53 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,076 times

Advertisements

Didn't you all hear???

The official language is Obama once he nationalizes that too.

What's an Obama language?

It's the BS lingo that he uses that everyone will be required to use eventually and in prayer to him.

Okay, okay seriously I feel that I live in some Spanish speaking country verses one that speaks English - as a country WE ARE STUPID (which is taken to new heights daily) to cater to the rest than to be proud of our English language origins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,373,611 times
Get used to it. I routinely print notices in as many as nine languages. My son writes/speaks four on an adult level. And those languages do not include Spanish. yet. They and Czech. are the new wave here. Truck drivers? Russian.
WHAT WORRIES ME IS THAT THEY ARE LET IN FUNCTIONALLY ILLITERATE IN THEIR OWN NATIVE LANGUAGE. How can I invest in training? Give me 500 Japanese and I'll take over this city.
If you did have an influx of Japanese (a recognized industrial country) you'd only see them in the hospital lobby as the doctor, and they'd be too busy to attend the PTA meeting because they're all busy working and paying into the tax system.
o hi o, go ziamus!

Old 06-15-2010, 03:08 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,851,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
If it's English, why do so many government sites have both English and Spanish?

This annoys the hell out of me!!!
Do you appreciate it if you ever go to European countries, and see english translations on some things? If you do, you are a hypocrite for liking that but finding the things here annoying as hell. Shouldn't everyone get the same curiosities we get?

Old 06-15-2010, 03:12 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,341,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Get used to it. I routinely print notices in as many as nine languages. My son writes/speaks four on an adult level. And those languages do not include Spanish. yet. They and Czech. are the new wave here. Truck drivers? Russian.
WHAT WORRIES ME IS THAT THEY ARE LET IN FUNCTIONALLY ILLITERATE IN THEIR OWN NATIVE LANGUAGE. How can I invest in training? Give me 500 Japanese and I'll take over this city.
If you did have an influx of Japanese (a recognized industrial country) you'd only see them in the hospital lobby as the doctor, and they'd be too busy to attend the PTA meeting because they're all busy working and paying into the tax system.
o hi o, go ziamus!

Perhaps you missed the thread title:

What's the official language in USA?

Thanks

Old 06-15-2010, 03:13 PM

Default adjusted above by one comment

My English teachers in L.A. were incredible; even though I was an average student I cringe for them as I see the internet use of English spelling/systax/comprehension beginning it's big nose dive into oblivion.

A young Czech. girl whiter than me said "I don't speak English" in a perfect sentence: TRANSLATION: I don't and have no intention to learn. That "no intention to learn" worries me more than what the new language on transit is this week.

And Writing three or even four languages in this town? Normal. And I'm not even including our other official language, French.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:15 PM

Default thanks, Rick

yes, I know. but it's the refusal of American culture to not recognize Spanish as the unofficial language. If there is no "official" language including English then we can include all the commentary as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Perhaps you missed the thread title:

What's the official language in USA?

Thanks

Old 06-15-2010, 03:16 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,833,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I get tired of the automated bank by phone asking me press one for English. It wasn't like this a few years back.
protest your bank, by going to another bank, or start your own "english only" bank.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,833,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
I was stationed at the border town of El Paso Tx (Ft Bliss) back in the mid 70's. The majority of El Paso residence were at that time Mexican American. The overwhelming majority of EP residence spoke english in public. You never heard press one for english, press two for spanish. I never encountered a non english speaking Hispanic employee in a business establishment like a store, restaraunt, fast food, etc. Illegal immigrants were a rarity back then. Even in El Paso. My point being America is not so much catering to Hispanics because of legal immigrants it is because of so many illegals.
Lets be very clear...most people are complaining about American Busisnesses. If anyone does not like the practices of a business, do business somewhere else.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:28 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,057 times
Here in Florida the DMV offers the Driver's Manual and test in Spanish.

ALL the road signs are only English. (as they should be)

I don't care if non-English speakers can pass a simple road test with basic signs. If they can't understand anything but colors and shapes of elementary signs, they don't belong on the road. They're a danger to everyone else.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:29 PM

851 posts, read 3,625,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Do you appreciate it if you ever go to European countries, and see english translations on some things? If you do, you are a hypocrite for liking that but finding the things here annoying as hell. Shouldn't everyone get the same curiosities we get?
I think you are confused about private entities and government entities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration