U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:56 PM

364 posts, read 184,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
yes, I know. but it's the refusal of American culture to not recognize Spanish as the unofficial language. If there is no "official" language including English then we can include all the commentary as well.
spanihs dont mean much in most
of tha world
it is like french in that way
english lingo ppl speke everywere
china japan germany etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 PM

364 posts, read 184,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Tenth Amendment prohibits the Federal government from declaring an official language.

States however have the power to declare official languages, not that it means much. California's official language is English, which certainly doesn't match up with the reality of official materials appearing in English, Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), Korean, Vietnamese, Farsi, Armenian, Arabic, Russian, and probably several others.
law can be changd
an it will be
no mor of this bilingal junk
here in tha usa

Old 06-15-2010, 08:16 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,965,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
But and it's a big but. Is the government required to serve the people in whatever language that person happens to speak? Are they going to send you your tax forms in Spanish or Manderin for that matter. When you go into a government department are they going to be required to answer your questions in your language? Without an OFFICIAL language perhaps they will be.
This is a little off the topic but did you know that at one time in the early days of the Republic that there were as many German speaking Americans as there were English? Just a little trivia I thought you might be interested in.
Not in the entire USA but in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. There was a measure in the New Jersey legislature to make German a co-official language with English which lost by one vote (the origin of the urban legend about "German almost being an official language"). New Jersey uber alles?

NJ had that power as do all states.The feds don't.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:40 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,128,566 times
Anyone can speak any god darn language they darn well please. As long as they can pay their taxes and support themselves. The majority of people in the world speak Mandarin, so why don't they make Mandarin the official language of the world?

Old 06-16-2010, 12:04 AM

8,287 posts, read 11,478,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJackson1980 View Post
spanihs dont mean much in most
of tha world
it is like french in that way
english lingo ppl speke everywere
china japan germany etc
really? Spanish doesn't mean much in the world? You live in the Western Hemisphere where the predominant language happens to be Spanish not English and is spoken by several hundred million people in the Americas.
I always found it bizzare how the xenephobes in the US are proud to be monolingual as if being bi or multi lingual was such a bad thing. No wonder the rest of the world thinks Americans are a bunch of uncultured boobs!

By the way what language are you using? Because that is some horrible spelling and you people worry about Spanish? You should be worried about who taught you how to spell! Must have been that great American educational system!

Old 06-16-2010, 07:36 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
really? Spanish doesn't mean much in the world? You live in the Western Hemisphere where the predominant language happens to be Spanish not English and is spoken by several hundred million people in the Americas.
I always found it bizzare how the xenephobes in the US are proud to be monolingual as if being bi or multi lingual was such a bad thing. No wonder the rest of the world thinks Americans are a bunch of uncultured boobs!

By the way what language are you using? Because that is some horrible spelling and you people worry about Spanish? You should be worried about who taught you how to spell! Must have been that great American educational system!
This isn't about the Western Hemisphere it is about THIS country alone! Our language is English and always has been. English speakers way outnumber Spanish speakers in THIS country. I have no problem with anyone being bi-lingual but if English speaking Americans who make up the majority in THIS country choose not to learn another language it is their proagative. There are things far more important than learning another language in the USA. I note that it is only Spanish being pushed on us anyway.

So it is xenophobic to not learn Spanish? Xenophobic means being afraid of foreigners. How in the world does that relate to language? The USA is one of the most diverse countries racially and ethnically so how do we have a fear of strangers? You are grasping at straws here and the agenda is clear.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,478,758 times
^ oh I am not grasping at anything here! This is supposed to be a sub forum about "ILLEGALS" and now it has turned into a bash fest regarding the use of Spanish in the US. There are many legal hispanics in the US you know and prefer to use Spanish in their daily lives instead.
Why aren't some of the posters in here upset about signs in Chinatowns or Koreatowns across the country? Why is Spanish being singled out?
Probably because Hispanics are now 1 out every 6 in America and people do get xenephobic when they fear their American culture is being diluted.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:46 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ oh I am not grasping at anything here! This is supposed to be a sub forum about "ILLEGALS" and now it has turned into a bash fest regarding the use of Spanish in the US. There are many legal hispanics in the US you know and prefer to use Spanish in their daily lives instead.
Why aren't some of the posters in here upset about signs in Chinatowns or Koreatowns across the country? Why is Spanish being singled out?
Probably because Hispanics are now 1 out every 6 in America and people do get xenephobic when they fear their American culture is being diluted.
Language is related to the majority of illegals in our country. They are mostly from Spanish speaking countries. Sure there are Hispanic citizens in this country but Hispanics only make up about 40 million people in this country including the illegal kind. That means there are over 260 million non-hispanics in this country most whose native language is English.

Chinatown and Koreatown are ethnic business neighborhoods. I would expect hear Chinese and Korean spoken there. Spanish is singled out because of what I wrote in my first paragraph.

Why shouldn't we feel threatened when our identifying culture and language is being threatened by a foreign invasion? The majority of Americans do not want this country to become Hispanic culturally or lingually anymore than Mexico would want to become Chinese in identity. What is so hard to understand about that? That doesn't make one xenophobic.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:52 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,535,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
We are aware that we have no official language in this country. However, English is our de facto national language. Making English our official language would not prohibit anyone from speaking another language so if you are using that argument to prevent English from taking its rightful place as a part of our heritage and culture you had better find some other excuse.
People can take pride in whatever language they want, and clearly it is part of our culture. But, we're talking about the legality of forcing people to speak one language in a nation, presumably, founded on freedom.

Why do you care what language people speak, anyway?

Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,535,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I have no problem with bi-lingual people speaking their primary language at home but why not English in public? Yes, private enterprise has the right to advertise in any language they want but it is the reason they do so that bothers me. They do it to pander to illegal aliens as most Hispanic citizens know how to speak English so no need to pander to them.
I'd like to see some evidence that most Spanish speakers are illegal before I jump on board that assumption.

I guess I have to wonder, why would they speak english in public if there's no need for them to do so? A lot of eastern European immigrants never learned English when they came over last century. Their kids usually pick it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or