U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 18,563,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
People can take pride in whatever language they want, and clearly it is part of our culture. But, we're talking about the legality of forcing people to speak one language in a nation, presumably, founded on freedom.

Why do you care what language people speak, anyway?
I could not care LESS what language people speak--as long as they do not expect us to provide and pay for an interpreter! If they provide their own interpreter and it costs us nothing, I don't care.

But when they expect us to provide those services at OUR expense, that's a different matter entirely. Courts, hospitals, et al....

Having to print ballots in other languages than English is an extra expense that is borne by the US taxpayer.

That sticks in my craw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 06:23 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,555,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I could not care LESS what language people speak--as long as they do not expect us to provide and pay for an interpreter! If they provide their own interpreter and it costs us nothing, I don't care.

But when they expect us to provide those services at OUR expense, that's a different matter entirely. Courts, hospitals, et al....

Having to print ballots in other languages than English is an extra expense that is borne by the US taxpayer.

That sticks in my craw.
Why? There's no official language in the US and, if you truly believe in government of the people, by the people, and for the people, then you should support people's freedom to speak whatever language they want and the government's necessity to serve that freedom.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Why? There's no official language in the US and, if you truly believe in government of the people, by the people, and for the people, then you should support people's freedom to speak whatever language they want and the government's necessity to serve that freedom.
It has nothing to do with government of the people, by the people and for the people. We don't have an "official" language here, but de facto--it's English.

It has to do with money out of my pocket having to pay for this nonsense because people refuse to learn English.

If a private business wants to cater to non-English speakers, that is just fine. Just don't ask me or any other American taxpayer to foot the bill for their refusal to learn English.

If I can learn more than one language, so can they.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 06-16-2010 at 06:50 PM..

Old 06-16-2010, 07:07 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,142,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Language is related to the majority of illegals in our country. They are mostly from Spanish speaking countries. Sure there are Hispanic citizens in this country but Hispanics only make up about 40 million people in this country including the illegal kind. That means there are over 260 million non-hispanics in this country most whose native language is English.

Chinatown and Koreatown are ethnic business neighborhoods. I would expect hear Chinese and Korean spoken there. Spanish is singled out because of what I wrote in my first paragraph.

Why shouldn't we feel threatened when our identifying culture and language is being threatened by a foreign invasion? The majority of Americans do not want this country to become Hispanic culturally or lingually anymore than Mexico would want to become Chinese in identity. What is so hard to understand about that? That doesn't make one xenophobic.
How exactly is anyone threatening your culture and language by speaking their own? Nobody is putting a gun to your head, forcing you to read spanish only legal documents, forcing you to watch/listen to foreign media. If I want to talk trash about you, I'm sure to speak in a tongue other than English. But is this really threatening you?

I'm trilingual. I'm neither illegal nor am I invading/changing other people's right to use English. If anything people who are LEGAL immigrants and have not yet learned how to speak English (because they are elderly and immigrated with their children) are the ones who are at a disadvantage. However, I don't hear them complaining, even though they are citizens. They pay taxes as well. Shouldn't the govt provide services in their language?

Seems like somebody needs to "educate themselves on this issue."

Unfortunately the soft underbelly of America is resistant to adaptation with the Darwinian forces of the modern times. Most white Americans don't even speak or write English as well as educated foreigners, on average.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:17 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,142,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

That sticks in my craw.
If people are voting, they are paying taxes. DUH. Why shouldn't they be able to get the best understanding of the voting process in a language that they feel most comfortable with? Maybe they do know English but feel more comfortable with Spanish.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,948,633 times
LET ME CHANGE THIS DEBATE AROUND -

Let's talk about individual states declaring English the official language of the state. There is an organization, I do not necessasily agree or disagree with them, called "US ENglish" that advocates the adoption of English as the official language of the U.S. On their website is a list of the 30 or so states that have declared English as the official language. What do you all think of individual states declaring English as the official language? How do you all feel that New mexico and Hawaii have more than one official state language?

LET's CHANGE THE DEBATE EVEN MORE

I believe that a couple of years ago, English was declared the "national" but not "official" language of the US? Does anyone have anything else to say about that?

Old 06-16-2010, 07:25 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,948,633 times
I want to change the debate because I have heard the same things said about this issue over and over again. I am not expressing an opinion other that we need some originality in the debate.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
If people are voting, they are paying taxes. DUH. Why shouldn't they be able to get the best understanding of the voting process in a language that they feel most comfortable with? Maybe they do know English but feel more comfortable with Spanish.
Uh...not necessarily.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:40 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,166,436 times
Quote:
People can take pride in whatever language they want, and clearly it is part of our culture. But, we're talking about the legality of forcing people to speak one language in a nation, presumably, founded on freedom.

Why do you care what language people speak, anyway?
Apparently you aren't very informed on this subject. Just because we were to make English our official language does not mean that you can't speak any other language. It would save us mega tax dollars not having to print government documents in several languages. One has to know English to become a citizen of this country.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:44 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,166,436 times
Quote:
I'd like to see some evidence that most Spanish speakers are illegal before I jump on board that assumption.

I guess I have to wonder, why would they speak english in public if there's no need for them to do so? A lot of eastern European immigrants never learned English when they came over last century. Their kids usually pick it up.
No one is saying that just because someone is speaking Spanish in public that they must be an illegal alien. However, it is mostly Spanish speakers (both legal and illegal) that do not want to assimilate to our country's language. Sure most learn English but many refuse to speak it unless they have to. Why come here if you don't want to assimilate into our society? If I moved to Mexico I would learn Spanish and speak it in public. I don't care what language one chooses to speak at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or