U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2010, 06:49 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Why? There's no official language in the US and, if you truly believe in government of the people, by the people, and for the people, then you should support people's freedom to speak whatever language they want and the government's necessity to serve that freedom.
You just don't get it, do you? Who is insisting that people speak English at all times? Yes, we do have freedom of speech in this country however it is a non-assimilation factor to not speak our country's national (not official) language in public if one knows how to. It isn't about freedom but rudeness and non-assimilation.

It should not be our government's responsibility and the taxpayer's tax liability to print documents in several foreign languages at our expense. Like it or not we are still an English speaking country and have been since its founding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2010, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Missouri
406 posts, read 416,929 times
Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I am so sick of seeing this crap.

We need to force everyone to put everything in English only.

No more written or spoken Spanish in America.

McDonalds now has a warning on their drive through window about a re call on Shrek Cups. It is in English and Spanish and it should not be.

I do not want to see Spanish in my country all over place.

If you cannot read and speak English then go home!

Lexington Nebraska has all signs in english and spanish, all signs. Ten thousand people and its 60% hispanic. Even the government signs are in both languages.

To me this is like pulling up to the bank drive thru ATM and seeing the braille instructions. Really
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 07:04 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
If people are voting, they are paying taxes. DUH. Why shouldn't they be able to get the best understanding of the voting process in a language that they feel most comfortable with? Maybe they do know English but feel more comfortable with Spanish.
We are already being taxed out of existance. Why should we spend more of our taxes just so some people feel more "comfty" in a foreign language? This is the USA and our national language is English. If they feel more "comfty" in a foreign language then let them bring an interpreter with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 07:04 PM
 
364 posts, read 184,272 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ oh I am not grasping at anything here! This is supposed to be a sub forum about "ILLEGALS" and now it has turned into a bash fest regarding the use of Spanish in the US. There are many legal hispanics in the US you know and prefer to use Spanish in their daily lives instead.
Why aren't some of the posters in here upset about signs in Chinatowns or Koreatowns across the country? Why is Spanish being singled out?
Probably because Hispanics are now 1 out every 6 in America and people do get xenephobic when they fear their American culture is being diluted.
to many of
tha spanish speakin ppl
are here ilegally
wich hurts tha rep of tha ones
here legaly

mexico would freek
if 15 milion ppl livin there
were english speakin americans
trust me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 07:06 PM
 
364 posts, read 184,272 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Why? There's no official language in the US and, if you truly believe in government of the people, by the people, and for the people, then you should support people's freedom to speak whatever language they want and the government's necessity to serve that freedom.
nope
english only in tha usa
mexico use spanish only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 07:13 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
How exactly is anyone threatening your culture and language by speaking their own? Nobody is putting a gun to your head, forcing you to read spanish only legal documents, forcing you to watch/listen to foreign media. If I want to talk trash about you, I'm sure to speak in a tongue other than English. But is this really threatening you?

I'm trilingual. I'm neither illegal nor am I invading/changing other people's right to use English. If anything people who are LEGAL immigrants and have not yet learned how to speak English (because they are elderly and immigrated with their children) are the ones who are at a disadvantage. However, I don't hear them complaining, even though they are citizens. They pay taxes as well. Shouldn't the govt provide services in their language?

Seems like somebody needs to "educate themselves on this issue."

Unfortunately the soft underbelly of America is resistant to adaptation with the Darwinian forces of the modern times. Most white Americans don't even speak or write English as well as educated foreigners, on average.
It is a threat to our culture and langauge when millions of illegals keep coming here from mostly one ethnic group. Why do you think we have to press one for English and two for Spanish nowadays? Why do you think we have signs everywhere in both English and Spanish nowadays? It isn't because of Hispanic Americans because they are usually bi-lingual.

No, the government should not have to go through the expense of placating minority groups of people in this country by printing everything in their native langauges for them. Do you know how many different languages that is and the cost of it all? Immigrants need to know that English is our language and if they don't learn it or can't grasp it then they need to get interpreters at their own expense to help them. We are to PC in this country at the taxpayers expense and that is one of the reasont that some immigrants aren't assimilating lingually into our society is because we are pandering to them.

You last paragraph is just your opinion and irrelevant anyway. Most English speaking Americans can communicate with each other quite well. Sounds like you resent the fact that English is our national language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 09:24 PM
 
11,145 posts, read 13,531,616 times
Reputation: 4209
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No one is saying that just because someone is speaking Spanish in public that they must be an illegal alien. However, it is mostly Spanish speakers (both legal and illegal) that do not want to assimilate to our country's language. Sure most learn English but many refuse to speak it unless they have to. Why come here if you don't want to assimilate into our society? If I moved to Mexico I would learn Spanish and speak it in public. I don't care what language one chooses to speak at home.
You don't have to respond 5 times to me, saying the same thing every time. No need for your vile personal attacks, either. We're simply having a conversation.

You seem determined to define a "culture" by your own standards and, by whatever power is vested in you, determine the language of the culture to be English. In the end, your argument is just the tired old illegal immigrants are ruining my (probably) white culture screed.

I'm not sure you've spent a lot of time in immigrant communities. You're hung up on Spanish since they're the immigrant du jour, but Chinatown in NYC is populated by people who speak only Mandarin and there are Jewish communities where people only know Hebrew. There are Arabic communities that only know Arabic and so on and so forth. They've been that way for decades upon decades in many cases.

As citizens of the United States, they don't speak English. Therefore, it's just a matter of who's more a citizen to determine which language everybody should be forced to learn, no matter what other languages they speak.

I get the practicality of everybody speaking a language, but I guess I fall in the category of preferring free speech and freedom. Forcing people to speak a certain language just strikes me as government control on a level I'm not comfortable with. If it's practical, people will learn the language they need to learn to function, as they always have. But, to force it upon them in order to enforce some arbitrary concept you call a "culture" is just very un-American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 09:36 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You don't have to respond 5 times to me, saying the same thing every time. No need for your vile personal attacks, either. We're simply having a conversation.
\
You seem determined to define a "culture" by your own standards and, by whatever power is vested in you, determine the language of the culture to be English.

I'm not sure you've spent a lot of time in immigrant communities. You're hung up on Spanish since it's the immigrant du jour, but Chinatown in NYC is populated by people who speak only Mandarin and there are Jewish communities where only Hebrew is spoken. There are Arabic communities and so on and so forth. They've been that way for decades upon decades in many cases.

As citizens of the United States, they don't speak English. Therefore, it's just a matter of who's more a citizen to determine which language everybody should be forced to learn, no matter what other languages they speak.

I get the practicality of everybody speaking a language, but I guess I fall in the category of preferring free speech and freedom. Forcing people to speak a certain language just strikes me as government control on a level I'm not comfortable with. If it's practical, people will learn the language they need to learn as they always have. But, to force it upon them is just very un-American.
You had different things to say in each of your posts and therefore I addressed each one of them. Sorry, you feel offended by that. I never made any personal attacks on you. If you think so why don't you point them out?

No, I am defining our identifying culture and language by what they are. We call it American culture. What you are describing by all these "immigrant" communities is what is called non-assimilation. Immigrants use to assimilate but our government has gotten so PC for decades now that division is more acceptable than cohesiveness. It is those things that will eventually tear our country apart. By the way, how does one become a citizen if they can't speak Engish? It is a requirement.

It isn't un-American to expect immigrants to learn our langauge. That doesn't mean they have to speak it all the time. Why even come here if one doesn't want to assimilate to our society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 09:43 PM
 
Location: state of procrastination
3,487 posts, read 6,124,525 times
Reputation: 2883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Uh...not necessarily.
The point is that any money-making citizen household pay taxes regardless of the primary language. As a population a predominantly Spanish speaking population likely contributed enough taxes to pay for their Spanish voting forms.

By the same token, not all english speaking voters pay taxes either - but as a whole group I'm sure they've paid enough to pay for their voting forms printed in engrish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 PM
 
Location: state of procrastination
3,487 posts, read 6,124,525 times
Reputation: 2883
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
LET ME CHANGE THIS DEBATE AROUND -

Let's talk about individual states declaring English the official language of the state. There is an organization, I do not necessasily agree or disagree with them, called "US ENglish" that advocates the adoption of English as the official language of the U.S. On their website is a list of the 30 or so states that have declared English as the official language. What do you all think of individual states declaring English as the official language? How do you all feel that New mexico and Hawaii have more than one official state language?

LET's CHANGE THE DEBATE EVEN MORE

I believe that a couple of years ago, English was declared the "national" but not "official" language of the US? Does anyone have anything else to say about that?
Nothing would make me happier than if everyone learned English well enough to converse. I would not care. But I still think people who don't know English (who are citizens) will suffer as a result. If you want equality for all you have to address this.

At my old school we adopted "Mandarin Chinese" (the language of Red China) as the official language taught in schools and "Taiwanese" was completely banned. If you were caught speaking Taiwanese you would get a pink slip and be disciplined. Lots of people were outraged. I'm sure many Americans would be outraged at this type of freedom limiting in schools... but personally I was pleased because I prefer Mandarin. However, now China is imposing its "simplified Chinese" on everyone instead of using the "traditional Chinese". Now I'm pretty pissed because I grew up learning Traditional and don't feel like relearning everything.

I am just happy that there is freedom of expression in this country, and that most people are bilingual enough to know English as one of the main languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top