U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:38 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,851,520 times

Advertisements

where did the OP go, he/she was so hot for a debate then poof
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 01:55 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
There is nothing to debate. The very act of debating lends legitimacy to the criminal invaders and some credence to their illogical arguments. I try very hard not to respond to posts by the opposition. Of course, feel to trash the treasonous government and the politicians who have sold out our country.

Let's face it. No one in this forum is going to have their minds changed by this dialog. So why waste your time.
My sentiments exactly. I'm an OLD-timer on the forum; I've always objected to the term "debate"...there should be no debate; illegal immigration is just that, 'Illegal'; what's to debate?

Having known and worked with illegals in the past,(and finding much about them to admire, on a PERSONAL level), I've often stated that what once was a 'victimless crime' is no longer so; that our society has changed, the illegals have changed, and that what was 'OK' 50 years ago is not 'OK' today. Both the scope, AND the circumstances. AND the fallout..of illegal immigration.AND the sheer numbers..is VASTLY different today, than was the case in 1960.

Married for some 41 years to a person who 'might' be considered a Hispanic (California native Indian of Spanish-speaking parents), I'm also acutely aware of the 'racist' angle often thrown into this (shudder) 'debate'. Suffice it to say, I'm not impressed; I know racism; what it is, and what it is not....and this isn't about race.

In summary, I think the OP fails to get a debate going about illegal immigration, simply because there really isn't a debate; it's illegal, period...just like drunk driving, or tax evasion, or identity theft, or stealing. ILLEGAL...and therefore, there's no real "debate", only a series of emotional pleas as to 'why it's OK'.

Not much 'debate' there....just a lot of whining. ALL lawbreakers would like to be able to debate 'why' they break the law; the point is, who's listening?

That, at least, is my opinion...thanks for listening.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:03 PM

40 posts, read 35,347 times
Still here!

I waited a while just to get a response to this thread and finally just realized it wasnt going to happen. I was surprised to see it had reached 2 pages this morning.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:52 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,145,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I think you aren't getting a debate because mostly everything you say is rational.

I'm a legal immigrant from the same country as your gf. I can't believe it took so long for her to get citizenship. Really? I applied for myself 7 years after the day I moved here and it really didn't take too much effort. I was also a minor at the time. Maybe times have changed. If so, that is sad for all the hard-working, talented people who are trying to become citizens, but who are foiled by the bad attitudes of less-than-legal, less-than-talented people.

I was also victim of an ADW with vehicle by a Hispanic family who clearly would rather have me dead than to pay for their bill. I don't know if they were illegals or not, but it sure makes me not want to be sympathetic to anything dealing with Hispanic people who cannot pay for their own livelihood - and illegal immigrants are under this umbrella. So I totally agree with everything you have said so far. You are gonna have a hard time finding a good debate on these here forums.

I've also got good friends who are Hispanic. They are good citizens. I also know lots of Hispanics with work permits who come here seeking a better life. These people are okay by my book.
Welcome to America (I know you've been here a while) and good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
They are if they are ethnocentrics trying to protect illegal aliens in this country.
I agree!!

I don't see where this debate can even happen. I guess when financial gain is involved with the support of illegal immigrants then you will search to find an angle to sell your position. Most peeps who support illegal immigration are liberal, they want to help immigrants to gain the American dream but like most liberals they focus on the short term ideas and ignore the long term effects. With a society of "I want it now" this mind set CAN sell. But, like most things, these issues are overlooked till they start hitting closer to home. 10%+ unemployment, federal spending (without results) causes Americans to need those jobs that illegals are taking. Then when your safety is no longer secured because of illegal immigrants then it starts to hit AT HOME! This is why we are getting fed up with illegal immigrants and federal (or the lack of) involvement, it's starting to hit us at home and we can no longer look the other way while the people who aren't effected make the calls.
In my mind, if you are a supporter of illegal immigration you are a supporter of any illegal activity(In for a dime, in for a dollar).

So pro illegals will call me a racist if I oppose illegal immigration, okay then, I'm inhumaine too! At least you can't call me a traitorous thief!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration