Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:35 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I actually don't mind having to have a national ID card.
Neither do I. The safer and more secure we make this country the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 10:39 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
I agree with the posts about drivers licenses. A state issued ID card would work if you cannot get a DL. But we still have a big problem with fake licenses, so here is what I propose.. I know in California we have to give our fingerprint for a DL or ID, and they go into the database. I also know the local police down here are being equipped with fingerprint scanners in the police vehicles to make use of the fingerprint database. So why not require a state issued DL or ID, and if every state already requires a fingerprint to obtain one (does anyone know of states that do not??) we can cheaply equip police vehicles with the readers and verify if you are who you say.. and I think in todays day and age we need to have all the states electronically networked to verify out of state licenses.
I've had a driver's license in CA and AZ and never was fingerprinted.
I got an AZ ID card in 2002 and wasn't fingerprinted.
My son got an OR ID in 2006 and wasn't fingerprinted.
(I still use my AZ ID card because it never expires. Will eventually get one in OR.)

I am all for a national ID card with fingerprints.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:18 PM

358 posts, read 394,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I've had a driver's license in CA and AZ and never was fingerprinted.
I got an AZ ID card in 2002 and wasn't fingerprinted.
My son got an OR ID in 2006 and wasn't fingerprinted.
(I still use my AZ ID card because it never expires. Will eventually get one in OR.)

I am all for a national ID card with fingerprints.
That's odd, maybe because you had an out of state DL the California DMV did not bother fingerprinting you, but I know for a fact they do here for California residents. Crazy to think you can get an ID without a fingerprint... maybe I'm just use to California's laws??

Old 06-18-2010, 12:08 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
That's odd, maybe because you had an out of state DL the California DMV did not bother fingerprinting you, but I know for a fact they do here for California residents. Crazy to think you can get an ID without a fingerprint... maybe I'm just use to California's laws??
Actually, I had the CA DL first. Maybe because it was way back in the early '80s?

This is the first time I have even heard of people being fingerprinted for DL or IDs. I think it's a great idea.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:38 AM

325 posts, read 235,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoranrat View Post
Most countries require its citizens and permanent residents to carry national ID cards at all times. In the United States this is only required of permanent residents and not citizens.

To combat illegal immigration while treating everyone equally and avoiding "racial profiling", perhaps we should do what many other countries do which is make it compulsory for everyone to carry one's identity card at all times when in public areas and to produce it when requested by a police or immigration officer during a lawful stop (such as a traffic violation, etc).

Since permanent legal residents already have to carry the "green card" at all times, we simply need to mandate that U.S citizens also have to carry their "passport card" as well. For those who don't know, the U.S. issues the passport card to any American citizen upon voluntary application. So all that would need to be done is to mandate all U.S. citizens to have to carry it.

With this requirement in place, illegal immigration will be severely curtailed. At the same time since everyone is forced to carry national ID and subject to inspection, everyone is treated equally and no one can feel being singled out because of race.
Most countries don't have something called freedom or the US constitution. China and Cuba may require national id's and their crime may be half of the US, but I wouldn't trade my freedom for some added security. Those people that are willing to do that don't deserve either. Funny how the people who claim not to trust the government are so quick to give them added powers, funny how the people who use the word "freedom" like it's going out of style have no problem trading it in for security, funny how people who claim to defend the constitution are willing to shred it. Funny indeed.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:58 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Most countries don't have something called freedom or the US constitution. China and Cuba may require national id's and their crime may be half of the US, but I wouldn't trade my freedom for some added security. Those people that are willing to do that don't deserve either. Funny how the people who claim not to trust the government are so quick to give them added powers, funny how the people who use the word "freedom" like it's going out of style have no problem trading it in for security, funny how people who claim to defend the constitution are willing to shred it. Funny indeed.
It is really a stretch to claim that having a more secure I.D. is giving up our freedoms and giving more power to the government. It is really a stretch to claim that wanting a constitutional amendment to something outdated is shredding it.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:46 AM

40 posts, read 41,079 times
Quote:
I've been to China. I needed to provide a passport just to check in at a hotel.

You wouldnt trade your freedom for added security? What a leap. How is requiring an I.D taking away from your freedom? Lets talk sense here before we bash people who would like a little added security.

Does identification really give the government more power? If so, for what? To know who we are?? They already do!! You pay taxes, own anything, buy anything, drive anything - THEY KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

Asking for I.D equates to shredding the constitution to you?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:50 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Having a National ID card is a loss in freedom? Then so is a SS card, a drivers licence, a library card, a deed to property,a title for a car, and just about any other document with your name on it.
How is having an ID card a loss of freedom? Oh I can see how it might infringe upon people who like to use a fake ID.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:24 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,361,931 times
I won't rant and rave about the idea but it would help.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:03 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,652,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Having a National ID card is a loss in freedom? Then so is a SS card, a drivers licence, a library card, a deed to property,a title for a car, and just about any other document with your name on it.
How is having an ID card a loss of freedom? Oh I can see how it might infringe upon people who like to use a fake ID.
Exactly. Oh, let's not forget the real ID act, too...

So it's really redundant to fight it. Especially when records are now digitally stored and access is instantaneous.

If you want freedom from IDs, turn back time to say, 1910. Then you'll be really free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration