Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:02 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,576 times

Advertisements

Well if the Dream Act goes through we will be seeing more and more of this. In fact all of them will be allowed to go to school and fastrack their legal status.

Here in North Carolina, three students are on a hunger strike in Raleigh calling for people to call Sen. Kay Hagan and tell her to change her vote of no to the Dream Act to yes. A lot of press here. These poor girls on the hunger strike. I hope Hagan doesn't bow to the pressure.

BTW, she's a Democrat. You just never know. She's against amnesty also. She was just elected in 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
even if the numbers were higher, how is this a bad thing?
would you prefer minorities (or UN lookalikes) not become educated?

Good try with the race card but no cigar - I'd PREFER those being educated (especially TERTIARY education) were here LEGALLY.

If a foreign student wishes to avail themselves of the legal requirements to gain a student visa then by all means.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Well if the Dream Act goes through we will be seeing more and more of this. In fact all of them will be allowed to go to school and fastrack their legal status.
You're right - they USE our system to gain their education illegally and THEN use that education to gain legal status.

I don't think even those foreign students here legally should be allowed to adjust staus from within the USA after they gain their education. They should have to return to their homelands and THEN apply, and the same goes for those using the temporary H1B and other work visas as a "path to citizenship" as well.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:23 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BX-ALBO View Post
Im a legal immigrant, and yes it is a slap in the face. These criminals get a pass, while we (my family) had to wait years before we could enter.
Did your family have anything special to offer the USA? I'm just curious. This particular "criminal" (your words, not mine) was raised here, making him as All-American as any other kid raised here...paperwork aside...and is also highly intelligent. I don't see why that would be a slap to your face at all. You got what you wanted and came here. This kid didn't effect you at all.

And seriously, for this boy and many like him it IS just a matter of "paperwork". That's what is getting so many people all huffy and puffy. Not that he has committed a "criminal" act or done anything wrong except exist here.

I'm against illegal immigration, I wan't to put a stop to it. I don't want them receiving any benefits, and I want to make it uncomfortable for them to be here and to stay in their own country. I don't believe in anchor babies. But I sure as hell don't consider kids like this who were raised here, regardless of how it came about, to be "criminals". And either does anyone else with a lick of sense. HE IS WHO WE WANT TO GIVE CITIZENSHIP TO. I don't know why we give citizenship to anyone who doesn't offer something special.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:35 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
This attitude is wha has destoryed this nation . Maybe he can graduate and get a good job that an American would have gotten .

We are getting the nation we deserve alright ! Only a nation of peopel with courage and stammina will survive, not appeasing and complacent .
He's taken the place which could have been filled by a citizen or resident alien, or legitimate foreign student.

Now that they've bent over backwards to allow him to stay, will he get a free pass if ever accused of academic dishonesty or plagiarism?

Old 06-22-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Did your family have anything special to offer the USA? I'm just curious. This particular "criminal" (your words, not mine) was raised here, making him as All-American as any other kid raised here...paperwork aside...and is also highly intelligent. I don't see why that would be a slap to your face at all. You got what you wanted and came here. This kid didn't effect you at all.

And seriously, for this boy and many like him it IS just a matter of "paperwork". That's what is getting so many people all huffy and puffy. Not that he has committed a "criminal" act or done anything wrong except exist here.

I'm against illegal immigration, I wan't to put a stop to it. I don't want them receiving any benefits, and I want to make it uncomfortable for them to be here and to stay in their own country. I don't believe in anchor babies. But I sure as hell don't consider kids like this who were raised here, regardless of how it came about, to be "criminals". And either does anyone else with a lick of sense. HE IS WHO WE WANT TO GIVE CITIZENSHIP TO. I don't know why we give citizenship to anyone who doesn't offer something special.

You have GOT to be kidding...........do you not see the innate contradictions in your own thinking?

Being raised here as an illegal does not magically make him an American - sorry

Last edited by Opyelie; 06-22-2010 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-22-2010, 01:09 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Does anyone think if he was going to the local Community College he would still be here? He knew he was here illegally so let's reward him but letting him go to Harvard for free. One less legal kid that's gets to go because the scholarship is gone. But who cares. He's a dreamer.........

That's the rub. The ones who support the thieving illegals don't think of the legals who have lost jobs and are now on the government dole or have lost opportunities to advance themselves. But as long as they can save $5 when they get their lawn cut it doesn't matter.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:22 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
You have GOT to be kidding...........do you not see the innate contradictions in your own thinking?

Being raised here as an illegal does not magically make him an American - sorry
A 4 year old child doesn't commit a criminal act. And now that he is an adult WHO WAS RASIED IN AMERICA JUST LIKE YOU we can't expect him to pay for the crimes of his father. Damn, people are so blinded by their hate they cant think logically for one second. It's embarassing.
People would be more willing to listen and work with you if you all didn't sound so ignorant.
WE failed to stop them from coming here, WE failed to send them back, now WE want to punish the kids, those who did nothing wrong, by labeling them "criminal" while at the same time STILL letting more and more come into the country. This kid and some others run circles around most home grown kids..thats a fact. Very very few people are operating at Ivy League level. We have to look at the situation and not try to apply a blanket attitude towards everyone.
Nothing like "ugly stupid Americans" to make us all look bad.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:02 PM

Blame his PARENTS - not American citizens. THEY were the ones who brought him here ILLEGALLY.

You're going to "listen and work with us"? Good God Almighty, words fail me.

You're the PERFECT person to talk about ignorance, cos you sure have that down pat.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:11 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
did you read pappys post? he was the one saying that colleges looked like the UN. what do you think he meant? i think we all know.

i proved him wrong. stats are your friends.

had he said anything about illegals, there would have been no problem. he has a problem with a multicultural diverse population.

how does it feel to lose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Good try with the race card but no cigar - I'd PREFER those being educated (especially TERTIARY education) were here LEGALLY.

If a foreign student wishes to avail themselves of the legal requirements to gain a student visa then by all means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration