U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2010, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,847 posts, read 1,852,003 times
Reputation: 1741

Advertisements

Looks like Nebraska has had it also.

City in Nebraska Torn as Immigration Vote Nears - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2010, 08:19 PM
 
1,891 posts, read 2,180,158 times
Reputation: 909
I can understand. What I don't understand, how bad is middle America being invaded by illegal aliens. I'm beginning to feel there is no safe place anywhere in America left.

IIRC Nebraska is the country's largest meat packing industry. Meat packing is BIG with illegal aliens. What was once a nice blue collar job with good pay locals could obtain, now has been lost to illegal aliens. The megacorps don't care. They can afford fines however big they are. Meanwhile local Americans suffer greatly at the feet of illegal aliens. That's just not right!

Quote:
A woman who asked not to be identified because her legal status has run out grew tearful at what Fremont had once felt like to her. “I like this town, but this is the place for my kids, not for me anymore,” she said.
Yeah, don't do anything about it... How is it for your kids, but not for you? Anchor babies don't belong, either. Your criminal acts have depraved them. Cry for yourself, nothing else.

Another example why we are too soft on illegal aliens.

I'm so glad the resident of Frement, Neb. is standing their ground and fighting illegal aliens. Way to go, Frement! Stay firm, you will succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2010, 09:57 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,584,432 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
I can understand. What I don't understand, how bad is middle America being invaded by illegal aliens. I'm beginning to feel there is no safe place anywhere in America left.
There isn't and that's the problem. I live in KY and illegal immigration has been changing my city for about 15 years now. To me, it is common sense to see that the rate of illegal immigration is going to result in the current state being multiplied over the years. Illegal immigration has been spreading for a while too. It is not hard for them to come from the South and eventually make their way up North, to the Pacific Northwest, and East. It's just spreading. The messed up thing is that Mexicans and pro illegal immigrant groups try to say that illegal immigration is OK because illegal immigrants are in places that used to be Mexico, but illegal immigrants are in large numbers (hundreds of thousands or tens of thousands) in places like Tennesee, Kentucky, Virginia, Florida, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Washington state and Indiana. So, that excuse doesn't work. Even if illegal immigrants were just staying in places like Nevada, California, New Mexico and Arizona, they would eventually live in other states. It's not like we would say, "OK, illegal immigrants must stay in these states." That would be some ugly politics to tell a group of people in this country of freedom that they have to stay in a certain region. Plus, they would get greedy and try to dominate other states anyway. But, yea, they've been spreading for a while. There are Mexican undocumented people in Canada, so that tells you how far they travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2010, 10:09 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,584,432 times
Reputation: 1270
From the article:

Quote:
But in a special election Monday, residents will decide whether to ban businesses from hiring illegal immigrants and bar landlords from renting to them.
I know that states have their own methods, yada, yada, yada, but it's federal law not to work in this country unless legally authorized.

Quote:
The election has opened a rare and raw divide. There are awkward silences for some who fear offending their neighbors (whose position they cannot be certain of), and, for others, volleys of suspicion.
Once again, this is the attitude that is keeping us from moving forward against illegal immigration. Everyone is afraid of saying what is on their mind. See, I think that we are uncomfortable with things that we think will cause a problem for other people. But, if we keep being uncomfortable with that, the problem of illegal immigration will just keep growing. People need to put on some thick skin, get blunt and start seeing where things in this country are going.

Also, illegal immigrations, Mexicans (who are the most common group of illegal immigrants and the group that is talked about most because of that) and the pro illegal immigration groups are trying to intimidate U.S. citizens and legal residents. They feel threatened when we tell them that we don't want them in this country and when we express how we feel about illegal immigration. They want people here to let them do whatever they want to do. If legal residents and U.S. citizens don't speak up and say how they feel then illegal immigrants will never know that we DO have a problem with illegal immigration. Overall though, the employers who hire illegal immigrants need the same treatment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2010, 10:14 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,584,432 times
Reputation: 1270
I'm wondering if any of those people in the town have contacted ICE about the meat-packing companies that they suspect are hiring illegal immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2010, 11:16 PM
 
1,891 posts, read 2,180,158 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
There isn't and that's the problem. I live in KY and illegal immigration has been changing my city for about 15 years now. To me, it is common sense to see that the rate of illegal immigration is going to result in the current state being multiplied over the years. Illegal immigration has been spreading for a while too. It is not hard for them to come from the South and eventually make their way up North, to the Pacific Northwest, and East. It's just spreading. The messed up thing is that Mexicans and pro illegal immigrant groups try to say that illegal immigration is OK because illegal immigrants are in places that used to be Mexico, but illegal immigrants are in large numbers (hundreds of thousands or tens of thousands) in places like Tennesee, Kentucky, Virginia, Florida, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Washington state and Indiana. So, that excuse doesn't work. Even if illegal immigrants were just staying in places like Nevada, California, New Mexico and Arizona, they would eventually live in other states. It's not like we would say, "OK, illegal immigrants must stay in these states." That would be some ugly politics to tell a group of people in this country of freedom that they have to stay in a certain region. Plus, they would get greedy and try to dominate other states anyway. But, yea, they've been spreading for a while. There are Mexican undocumented people in Canada, so that tells you how far they travel.
I believe any sizable metro area have issues with illegal aliens, however how small. I could guess a variety of things why they came. Whenever I look up towns/cities on city-data, the hispanic race is always the second or third race listed. Damn cockroaches!!

I know also in Maryland, there is a big illegal alien problem in the suburban D.C. area and Baltimore.

Agreed. Any easily obtained menial jobs that are available where the illegal aliens can blend into the background, therein a sizable illegal alien population. Oftentimes they take over seedy parts and make it worse and fuel crime rates.

If we're to clean up the mess, it will take a LOT of time and money. Government has failed us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2010, 11:22 PM
 
1,891 posts, read 2,180,158 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Once again, this is the attitude that is keeping us from moving forward against illegal immigration. Everyone is afraid of saying what is on their mind. See, I think that we are uncomfortable with things that we think will cause a problem for other people. But, if we keep being uncomfortable with that, the problem of illegal immigration will just keep growing. People need to put on some thick skin, get blunt and start seeing where things in this country are going.

Also, illegal immigrations, Mexicans (who are the most common group of illegal immigrants and the group that is talked about most because of that) and the pro illegal immigration groups are trying to intimidate U.S. citizens and legal residents. They feel threatened when we tell them that we don't want them in this country and when we express how we feel about illegal immigration. They want people here to let them do whatever they want to do. If legal residents and U.S. citizens don't speak up and say how they feel then illegal immigrants will never know that we DO have a problem with illegal immigration. Overall though, the employers who hire illegal immigrants need the same treatment!
Exactly. People these days are so friggin' afraid of speaking out. You can't blame some of them, though, as people have lost lives over insignificant issues. If we are too afraid to speak up, this trend will continue as it has the past decade.

PC crap, white guilt, the blaming game, and everything else is out of hand, and we've become cowards of our own doing.

I can't stress this enough. If you don't like how things are going, SPEAK OUT! STAND UP AND SHOUT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2010, 11:24 PM
 
1,891 posts, read 2,180,158 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I'm wondering if any of those people in the town have contacted ICE about the meat-packing companies that they suspect are hiring illegal immigrants.
Numerous raids were done in the meat processing plants in KS/NE area several times over the past few years. Has it done any improvement, I don't know.

From what I read, it takes quite a length of time to do a raid. They don't come busting down the door five minutes after you report it to the ICE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 12:40 AM
 
Location: Eastern Missouri
3,054 posts, read 5,031,973 times
Reputation: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I'm wondering if any of those people in the town have contacted ICE about the meat-packing companies that they suspect are hiring illegal immigrants.

I do not know about Neb.'s ICE, But I know that in Missouri and South Carolina, they don't do their job. Biggest reason is they don't want to leave their nice offices I guess. I know last year in SC I help build a new school in a county with over 17 percent unemployment, yet the subcontractors all used south of the border employees. They did crappy work, refused to speak english unless decked, (yes, I hit more than 1 of them with my fist especially since they would get into my lunch box and steal my lunch, take bites out of my sandwiches, etc and thought it was funny, so yeah, i hit the b*****ds).

The illegals act like they own anywhere they go, and that we, the US Citizen is supposed to cater to them. I have the 800 numbers to call in my phone, but the only time it did any good was when I threaten to leave bodies laying in blood to get anyone out there. Then it was the State troopers that showed up. But I tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 12:42 AM
 
Location: Eastern Missouri
3,054 posts, read 5,031,973 times
Reputation: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Numerous raids were done in the meat processing plants in KS/NE area several times over the past few years. Has it done any improvement, I don't know.

From what I read, it takes quite a length of time to do a raid. They don't come busting down the door five minutes after you report it to the ICE.

No, they call where ever they are going, weeks in advance and set up an "appointment time". If they would do the job right, they would show up unannounced and have someone at every exit so none got away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top