U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 02:13 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,155 times

Advertisements

I might be in a minority here but I think legal status should not be a factor in a right to equal pay. If employers are allowed to pay a illegal less then what is going to prevent them from paying a legal citizen less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 02:23 PM

555 posts, read 735,672 times
Why doesn't the doctrine of "unclean hands" apply here. If the illegals are committing fraud to get these jobs, they have no right to any payment at all.

It's like someone renting an illegal basement apartment suing a former tenant for back rent.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:39 PM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
I might be in a minority here but I think legal status should not be a factor in a right to equal pay. If employers are allowed to pay a illegal less then what is going to prevent them from paying a legal citizen less.
Yes, you are in the minority..The reason employees (usually construction companies, landscaping companies, etc) hire illegals is to save money. They know they can't get legals to work for less than the min wage..Why should they? How can anyone really think someone here illegally has the right to anything other than protection in regards to their lives and a few other things. What part of illegal can you not understand? they know when they come here, they are not legal and will be expected to work for less.

I for one will not hire an illegal or will not hire a company who employs them if I know about it. I don't think we owe anyone here illegally anything, no welfare, no medical care except in the case of life or death and certainly no fair wage benefits. Next thing you know people will start saying illegals deserve 2 weeks paid vacation annually.

Nita

Old 06-21-2010, 02:48 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
no but you did say not to get upset with her, it was congress' doing. So what were you saying? I don't believe I said it was law or you said it was, my comments were related to your saying it was Congress. You have no idea anymore than I have an idea. Regardless, the public service announcement, if you want to call it that, sucks!!!

Nita
you seem to keep trying to speak for me...read my words carefully...I never said "dont get upset with her".

other than that, If you dont remember your own words[or mine] how can I hold you to what you said?

May statement was very simple, Im sorry it caused you so much confusion.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:05 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
Quote:
Yes, you are in the minority..The reason employees (usually construction companies, landscaping companies, etc) hire illegals is to save money. They know they can't get legals to work for less than the min wage..Why should they? How can anyone really think someone here illegally has the right to anything other than protection in regards to their lives and a few other things. What part of illegal can you not understand? they know when they come here, they are not legal and will be expected to work for less.

I for one will not hire an illegal or will not hire a company who employs them if I know about it. I don't think we owe anyone here illegally anything, no welfare, no medical care except in the case of life or death and certainly no fair wage benefits. Next thing you know people will start saying illegals deserve 2 weeks paid vacation annually.

Nita
Why not? They can already sue the employer for workers comp in Ca........ Next we'll see them able to collect unemployment benefits.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:10 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,155 times
Quote:

Nita
Well if a employer by law had to pay a non legal citizen the same as a legal citizen maybe that would discourage them from hiring the illegal in the first place. BTW- I am very anti illegal.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:15 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
Why doesn't the doctrine of "unclean hands" apply here. If the illegals are committing fraud to get these jobs, they have no right to any payment at all.

It's like someone renting an illegal basement apartment suing a former tenant for back rent.
I think another example would be if a landlord took rent form an illegal and kick him out...the law would say because you rented an illegal room to an alien, that alien still has rights and punishes the landlord for renting an illegal room to an alien.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:15 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times
How is the government even going to jump over the fact that they shouldn't be working here to begin with? I don't like seeing anyone being taking advantage of, but what's going to happen when the illegal immigrant is working at a wage that a legal resident could have and is taking that job from the legal resident?

I'm actually glad to see this video because it proves that illegal immigrants and their supporters can't use the "They-work-for-less-than-Americans" excuse anymore.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Well if a employer by law had to pay a non legal citizen the same as a legal citizen maybe that would discourage them from hiring the illegal in the first place. BTW- I am very anti illegal.
well that is the only positive thing about all this and I thought about it as well. Pay the illegals the same as legals, who are most employers going to hire? If illegals can't get jobs they might stay home or maybe illegals would go on welfare more than they already do. That is the scary thought about it..

Nita

Old 06-21-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Why not? They can already sue the employer for workers comp in Ca........ Next we'll see them able to collect unemployment benefits.
and if they can't get hired they will line up at the welfare offices like some do now.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or