Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:35 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times

Advertisements

"Two American citizens detained and searched in April by Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents filed a legal claim against the agency Monday alleging ethnic stereotyping and racial profiling...The claim — which alleges false arrest, false imprisonment and battery — is a precursor to a federal lawsuit."

"When the chartered bus stopped at the McDonald's, an ICE agent also was eating there. The agent became suspicious because of how the passengers were dressed and because they were speaking Spanish, according to an ICE report...The agents boarded the bus, asked passengers to produce identification, and searched their wallets and purses. Bautista and Artimas showed the agents their Colorado state identification cards, and then they were searched and placed in a cell at a detention center. Bautista was fingerprinted and his mugshot was taken. 'I felt like they were treating me like a criminal,' Bautista said. 'When I told them I was born in the U.S., they told me I was a liar.' While Bautista was in a cell, the agents high-fived each other, he said. 'They said we were a bunch of Mexicans and we were bothering Americans,' Artimas said. About two hours later, Bautista and Artimas were let go."

"If this was a bus full of white people speaking French, would they have called in the goons and searched the bus?" asked Hans Meyer, an ACLU cooperating attorney who is representing the two."

Two Americans file claim over questioning by ICE agent - The Denver Post

What a disgusting act by the government. I hope these two win a big settlement.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 12:22 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
What is a "Colorado state identification card"?

ICE says 36 of 42 passengers were illegals but the bus driver & ACLU say it was a charter bus to an Amway convention.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:25 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Amway?!!! Deport all those suckers!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
What is a "Colorado state identification card"?
All states issue them. It's an identification card for people who can't or don't drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
ICE says 36 of 42 passengers were illegals but the bus driver & ACLU say it was a charter bus to an Amway convention.
Perhaps it was both. Amway and its distributors certainly wouldn't be the first American businesses to trade integrity for money. Lest you think I hate business, I must point out that I own one.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 11-16-2010 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-16-2010, 01:42 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Amway?!!! Deport all those suckers!
Even the American "suckers"...?

which leads me to ask. What if you were on a bus, asked to produce identification and detaine, photographed and finger printed? No big whoop?

What if this happened every time you traveled some place, would that be cool?

Old 11-16-2010, 01:54 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Even the American "suckers"...?

which leads me to ask. What if you were on a bus, asked to produce identification and detaine, photographed and finger printed? No big whoop?

What if this happened every time you traveled some place, would that be cool?

That's just about what anyone that flies has to go through. Carry your identifying papers. Why's that so tough? Unless, of course, you are just looking for a lawsuit.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
That's just about what anyone that flies has to go through. Carry your identifying papers. Why's that so tough? Unless, of course, you are just looking for a lawsuit.
one chooses to fly, and with that comes the expectation of security checks...but one does not expect to be detained and fingerprinted.

Do you not see the difference?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:48 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,682 times
Quote:
one chooses to fly, and with that comes the expectation of security checks...but one does not expect to be detained and fingerprinted.

So, it's okay as long as you won't be in a position to get caught? Fact: the majority on the bus were illegals and the ICE officers were right in boarding the bus -- that's their job. Bet the bus wouldn't have cruised past the immigration road checks in California, Arizona, etc.

Besides, I'm guessing both are US citizens by way of birth on American soil from an illegal mother (not an American citizen in IMHO, though recognized as legal) --which is one gigantic snafu I wish Congress would eliminate. Doing this would drastically cut down on the rush of pregnant women to cross illegally into this country to deliver.

Those two should just be glad their mothers made it across in time. Of course, they certainly are adopting the American way of finding a reason to file a lawsuit, seaching for quick bucks! They should play the lotto, like the rest of us!

Old 11-16-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
So, it's okay as long as you won't be in a position to get caught? Fact: the majority on the bus were illegals and the ICE officers were right in boarding the bus -- that's their job. Bet the bus wouldn't have cruised past the immigration road checks in California, Arizona, etc.

Besides, I'm guessing both are US citizens by way of birth on American soil from an illegal mother (not an American citizen in IMHO, though recognized as legal) --which is one gigantic snafu I wish Congress would eliminate. Doing this would drastically cut down on the rush of pregnant women to cross illegally into this country to deliver.

Those two should just be glad their mothers made it across in time. Of course, they certainly are adopting the American way of finding a reason to file a lawsuit, seaching for quick bucks! They should play the lotto, like the rest of us!

what are you talking about?

the story is about american citizens getting caught up in a sweep...and your argueing that the majority on the bus were "illegals". You missed the fact that ALL on the bus were suspected "illegals" until proven otherwise.

that is the point.

That is why some are against SB1070 type legislation. It presume guilt till proven otherwise; and in case you are not aware, that is the reverse of American jurisprudence. Our concept of Law is Inocent until proven Guilty.

So if your ok with the aweep...and if you are ok with a couple of American citizens being detained...then I know where you stand.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:59 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:

The terrorist attacks on 9/11 have changed the rules; likewise, massive illegal immigration. Prior to the invasion, this incident would not have occurred. The majority of passengers were illegal. They should blame them for their inconvenience. Perhaps this experience will teach them not to cavort with criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration