U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:36 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
So you're willing to alienate whole cultural groups for the sake of apprehending 1 person of committing a civil violation? That statement alone proves my point of how out of line SB1070 has skewed the whole illegal immigration debate.
This is no Debate, this is a Civil Action against illegal ailiens, whether they're white, brown,black, green or purple!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Not so. I don't think the problem is with the police at all. In fact, many Arizona police agencies have come out against SB1070. I think the problem is that SB1070 has been a touchstone and made it fashionable for people to bash the Hispanic population in general. It has opened the door for right wing extremists to spout untruths and predjudice against a certain group of people. There are many posts on CD alone that blame hispanic illegals for all the crime, all the state financial problems, in short every problem we have in the nation with no statistics to back up their claims. There are many posts on CD where posters claim that legal Hispanics are complicit in the illegal alien problem. Thereby creating guilt through association. It has provided a forum for right wing fringe elements whose only message is hate and predjudice. These people would normally keep their vituperative diatribes on stormfront but now post on mainstream forums. The Hispanic population in Arizona are living in fear. Not because they think the cops are gonna do anything but because the heated
Quote:
and one sided rhetoric
has inflamed people and their neighbors may take irrational action against them and their families.

There are over 1.5 million legal Hispanics in Arizona. What's the best case scenario with SB1070? 2000-3000 illegals directly caught via SB1070 over a 4 year period? Is that small amount worth alienating 1.5 million people? I don't think so.

Why doesn't Jan Brewer call in the Arizona National Guard to secure our border? She has the power to do so and that would make a real dent in the illegal immigration problem. I'll tell you why. SB1070 is a political move. It was just political pandering to conservative voters to pad her election as Gov. More right wing political mileage in SB1070 than there is in sending Arizona National Guard to the border.
You have to be pretty "SHORT SIGHTED" to call this "ONE SIDED"

Old 06-23-2010, 10:09 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,028,059 times
Quote:
Funny how perception is. I consider SB1070 the stupidest thing I've seen state government do in my lifetime. Pass a bill that alienates an entire culture of American Society for very minimal results. Create a climate of hate and fear mongering for what? Maybe 2000, 3000 illegal immigrants taken off the streets of Arizona. Like trying to kill an elephant with a fly swatter.
I don't think you know a whole lot about all this. When that law was passed there were around 450,000 illegals in Arizona and you talk about 2 or 3 thousand. My, my.

Create a climate of hate is a bit strong. About 60% of poeple of all polls I know of show that they are in favor of that law. I think you need to study the truth a bit or be careful about the words you use.

425,000 makes your 3,000 look pretty puny, don't you think.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:36 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Quote:
Funny how perception is. I consider SB1070 the stupidest thing I've seen state government do in my lifetime. Pass a bill that alienates an entire culture of American Society for very minimal results. Create a climate of hate and fear mongering for what? Maybe 2000, 3000 illegal immigrants taken off the streets of Arizona. Like trying to kill an elephant with a fly swatter.
I seriously doubt you'll find too many LEGAL Latinos who are alienated by this law. If so, then they are alienated by sovereign U.S. immigration law anyway, since SB 1070 mirrors federal law.

They can get mad and glad in the same britches.

BTW, Governor Brewer doesn't call up the National Guard because during times of war, the National Guard is at the disposal of the POTUS, not the state. The National Guard is only controlled by the governor during times of peace--a state the U.S. has not seen in a good many years.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 PM

244 posts, read 732,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
This is no Debate, this is a Civil Action against illegal ailiens, whether they're white, brown,black, green or purple!
Exactly! And from my understanding, the police in AZ will check for legal status if a person is stopped for a traffic violation or something like that. They won't just be cruising the streets randomly picking on "brown people" for the hell of it. If any Hispanic or any other person of any other race is here legally, they have nothing to fear. Those who are currently breaking the law by being here illegally, well.....

Old 06-23-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelboo View Post
Exactly! And from my understanding, the police in AZ will check for legal status if a person is stopped for a traffic violation or something like that. They won't just be cruising the streets randomly picking on "brown people" for the hell of it. If any Hispanic or any other person of any other race is here legally, they have nothing to fear. Those who are currently breaking the law by being here illegally, well.....
They will only be stopped under "probable cause" or "suspicion".

Old 06-24-2010, 02:04 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,465,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
mexico fails pretty bad this time.

why doesnt the USA adopt mexico's immigration laws?

whats that? you want to vote? sorry, no can do, you werent born here!

whats that? you want to own land here? sorry, no can do, you werent born here!

The richest man in the whole world is not Gates , Turner or Rockfellow but a MEXICAN named Slim .

Wonder where he got his money ? Wonder which stupid nations citizens buy the most drugs ?

Every since the immorality of the hippies now turned greedy yuppies we have been going down . They were drugged out spoiled and dangerous commnunist , now they are running the nation, inside universities , cheap labor illegal hiring board rooms and congress is full of them .

Old 07-14-2010, 11:25 AM

16 posts, read 37,888 times
How useful is the sharpened pen
To prick complacent hordes
Though,sometimes,
'Mongst complacent men,
I think I'd vote for swords.

Illegal means Illegal regardless of who is lookingfor cheap labor!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:52 AM

32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
We are tired of subsidizing the illegal businesses that hire illegal labor. Any business caught using illegal labor should be fined for the estimated amount of social services used by the illegal horde and their offspring.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:01 PM

285 posts, read 446,534 times
I agree that this law isn't going to get many illegals but it's a start. Maybe the next will be emergency rooms. Last time I was at one, it was full of illegals ( and don't start calling me racist because I can pick out illegals, CA has at least three million hispanic illegals and it's very obvious who they are) getting their free healthcare. Wow, they don't even have to make appointments....just walk in for free services.

Hopefully this law will be just the beginning and we, the people, will have our country back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or