U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:57 PM

17,021 posts, read 8,731,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
This concept is to a degree an inherent part of the republic system of government. It's not "Obama" or "big government" - it's "republic" - The republic form of government is not so powerful that it becomes a big brother, but from time to time it can decide "we don't know what is best for ourselves- he knows better" because the representatives in the government discover that they do know better than the people, and so the situation of "tyranny of the majority" is avoided.

Thanks, I'm well versed on the Republic.

Problem is "knowing better" and lawful are oft opposed to one another.

"Knowing better" as the caveat to an action can be destructive to the Republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 08:32 PM

29 posts, read 102,683 times
What I was trying to say earlier and screwed it up terribly is. Those 11 million undocumented workers who are already here, IF they are productive members of our society, IF they haven't been convicted of crimes, should be be offered a chance for legalization. And they should have to pay a fine for sneaking in, any back taxes, and learn English. We are going through an economical disaster right now, so yes the borders should be tightened to prevent any more from coming. TEMPORARILY until we can get our economy back on track.

Yes, I have illegals in my town that are protected by the churches. They receive lots of help with food, places to live and their children are US citizens. My daughter was married to an illegal and he was deported. He tried to sneak back over, but now has to wait ten years before he can even apply for a work visa here. He was a trained carpenter, not someone stealing another man's job. He worked on the ethanol plant in several different states and made quite a lot of money. They aren't all berry and vegetable pickers, nor do they want your jobs. How many of you stand for hours in meat packing plants? Or on top of a hot roof in the summer repairing it because of a hailstorm?

So, don't jump my ass, it's our country that wanted cheap labor, so blame the employers, not the hispanics.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:36 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,645,113 times
Approximately 50% of illegals in America did NOT come from Mexico or South America. I've asked many times on forums if you're just as mad about those illegals as you are about Mexicans. No one has ever responded.

I wonder why?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:53 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,645,113 times
For those of you sceaming for their necks read this article. If you are still buying you meat from a typical grocery store then you are perpetuating illegal immigration. If you are buying processed foods; boxed dinners; frosen dinner (almost all come from Con-Agra) then you are perpetuating the problem.

My opinion is until all you eat comes from locally grown farmers that you know who they employ then you have no room to holler about illegal immigrants. If you continue to buy you fat filled, over processed food and your meat slaughtered at Iowa Beef, Tyson, Simmons, Smithville Farms or the like then YOU are part of the problem.

Read the article on Iowa Beef slaughter house in Nebraska.

Meatpacking industry has a long history of reliance on immigrant laborer | Greeley Tribune

Old 07-07-2010, 08:57 PM

14,307 posts, read 10,936,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Approximately 50% of illegals in America did NOT come from Mexico or South America. I've asked many times on forums if you're just as mad about those illegals as you are about Mexicans. No one has ever responded.

I wonder why?
You are incorrect on both accounts. Other than visa overstayers, 60% here illegally never had a visa. Of that 60% around 80% are from Mexico or other Latino countries.

Try reading the posts under the numerous topics and you will find that all of us opposed to illegal immigration have stated that we are opposed to all illegals in our country, not just Mexicans.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
For those of you sceaming for their necks read this article. If you are still buying you meat from a typical grocery store then you are perpetuating illegal immigration. If you are buying processed foods; boxed dinners; frosen dinner (almost all come from Con-Agra) then you are perpetuating the problem.

My opinion is until all you eat comes from locally grown farmers that you know who they employ then you have no room to holler about illegal immigrants. If you continue to buy you fat filled, over processed food and your meat slaughtered at Iowa Beef, Tyson, Simmons, Smithville Farms or the like then YOU are part of the problem.

Meatpacking industry has a long history of reliance on immigrant laborer | Greeley Tribune
There are illegals working in restaurants, airports, construction and all other types of businesses also. Are we to stop doing any business in the U.S. because some employer MIGHT have illegals working for them? Get real, it is up to the employers to screen their employees not other U.S. citizens and make assumptions about them. It is also up to our government to see that employers are not hiring illegal aliens and to secure our borders but you know where that has gone so far....nowhere.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuge51 View Post
What I was trying to say earlier and screwed it up terribly is. Those 11 million undocumented workers who are already here, IF they are productive members of our society, IF they haven't been convicted of crimes, should be be offered a chance for legalization. And they should have to pay a fine for sneaking in, any back taxes, and learn English. We are going through an economical disaster right now, so yes the borders should be tightened to prevent any more from coming. TEMPORARILY until we can get our economy back on track.

Yes, I have illegals in my town that are protected by the churches. They receive lots of help with food, places to live and their children are US citizens. My daughter was married to an illegal and he was deported. He tried to sneak back over, but now has to wait ten years before he can even apply for a work visa here. He was a trained carpenter, not someone stealing another man's job. He worked on the ethanol plant in several different states and made quite a lot of money. They aren't all berry and vegetable pickers, nor do they want your jobs. How many of you stand for hours in meat packing plants? Or on top of a hot roof in the summer repairing it because of a hailstorm?

So, don't jump my ass, it's our country that wanted cheap labor, so blame the employers, not the hispanics.
The illegals deserve nothing and they will get nothing. Your trained carpeter even took a job that should have gone to an American. And Americans have done every menial job since this country's founding so don't play that card.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:21 PM

364 posts, read 178,498 times
Quote:

then those employers need to be in jail
with tha ilegal aliens

Old 07-07-2010, 09:24 PM

29 posts, read 102,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The illegals deserve nothing and they will get nothing. Your trained carpeter even took a job that should have gone to an American. And Americans have done every menial job since this country's founding so don't play that card.
If they took someone else's job, that is the employers fault.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuge51 View Post
If they took someone else's job, that is the employers fault.
No, it is both the employer and the illegal employee's fault as they both know it is against the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or