U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:49 AM

2,086 posts, read 2,102,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
yes a good deal of people do think that. the above post is a good example of how threatened some feel when someone doesn't speak english.
If I were to move to another country, I would, out of comon sense, learn their language. Some countries require that you do speak it (their language) fluently before you can live there, legally.
So why would they not do it in America? I'm not saying they should stop speaking their native language, but they should speak English as well. Meaning we should not have to change for them. No other country changes for anyother people, why should we.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 AM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
If I were to move to another country, I would, out of comon sense, learn their language. Some countries require that you do speak it (their language) fluently before you can live there, legally.
So why would they not do it in America? I'm not saying they should stop speaking their native language, but they should speak English as well. Meaning we should not have to change for them. No other country changes for anyother people, why should we.
It's called entitlement! Why should they have to learn English? There are enough Illegals here that speak Spanish that they feel that they have numbers enough to demand we cater to them. Assimilation be damned!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:03 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,285,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportBeachGuy View Post
I noticed you picked out distinctive minorities. There are a lot of white people too that entered the US illegally.

Minorities did not cause the world recession. Inflatioin caused recession - not minorities.

Minorities also suffer from recession, you wont hear them say "KICK OUT THE WHITE PEOPLE BECAUSE OF RECESSION".

I must apologize you did mention Irish lol.
Don't make me laugh, i have homes we rent out in O.C. which is one of the most racist of cities, when it comes to miniorities, and you should know this. Maybe some feel that when someone has lived in this Country for over 20 years, get the gest, that they would have at least tried to learn some English, what is wrong with that. I know Mexicans who have lived in this Country for over 20 years, and do not speak a word of English, to me that is just plain lazy, do you not see a problem with this, if they are willing to come to this Country for a better life, do you not see it in their best interest to at least learn our Language. Can't hurt. Many conties in O.C. that do not want miniorities in theirs, and you should know this, living there. No Minorities have not caused a world recission, but they sure have helped by being in our Country by illegal means, they add to our burdened economy, they don't help the situation. I for one and many on this forum, feel that if they are in our Country, by illegal means, it is time for them to go home, take up what ever gripes you have with your own CORRUPT GOVERNMENT!Don't have a problem with Miniorities, it is the illegal imigrants that most of us do. Living in Calif i know better then to think that someone who lives out here that does not speak English is a immigrant, because too many People who live in California, have never learned to speak English, and to just me my opinion, this is stupid, when you live in this Country for over 20 yrs and have never at least made an attempt to learn English, it is something i don't understand, but also not my business.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 PM

20,014 posts, read 20,504,984 times
Living in an area where the invasion began only about 10 yrs. ago, yes, I assume residents that cant speak English to communicate in the business environment are here illegally.

I live in a university town, so I have had the opportunity to meet people from various countries (Taiwan, Germany, India, Venezula, Iran, Poland) we also have a decent Asian and Indian poupulation. All of these people can speak English except the elderly mother of a Polish woman and she was not legal. If one is in the country legally for any length of time they learn some English. Very few of the hispanic population speak English. Why? What am I suspose to assume. The majority are either here illegally or the majority of hispanics have learning disabilities.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:34 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
Quote:
At least they are willing to do the jobs most Americans refused to do.
And which jobs would those be? You must mean the jobs that Americans once had but are now being done by illegals for pennies on the dollar?

Old 06-23-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
I wonder what ever gave them the impression that they don't need to learn English? If we had brochures, food labels, phone menus (press 2 for Swahili), Second Audio Programming (in Swahili), Television networks that broadcast ONLY in Swahili, newspapers only in Swahili giving news about Swahili matters, translators in hospitals, signs in Swahili, if you spoke Swahili would you feel motivated to learn English and assimilate???

Old 06-23-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Do people presume non English speaking people illegal immigrant?
No I assume they're lazy, deliberately insular, and clannish.

Who moves to a foreign country to live among your own kind and speak the language where you came from? If you're so comfortable living that way isloated from greater society, then the only reason why you left your home nation is because there was little to no opportunity for advancement. That tells me that it's time you and your fellow countrymen, and ex-pats go BACK to your nation of ORIGIN and improve your homeland. Americans did it, you can to it too. Don't come here expecting us to change for you, I am not ashamed nor embarrassed about what I have here in the USA and I know this is the greatest country on the planet. WE are in the early stages of an immigration backlash and the people of this nation are sick and tired and fed up with nothing being done about our immigration meltdown. Nobody wants amnesty they want a return to sender policy. Time will tell how things are done, but it's not going to be pretty nor easy.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:05 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
No I assume they're lazy, deliberately insular, and clannish.

Unfortunately, there are those who feel exactly the same way about those who DO speak English.

Seriously, though, the problem is of our own making. Take any hypothetical country of 330 million inhabitants. Now have them tell each other we're multicultural; we have no official language; we require nothing of our immigrants, (not even that they arrive LEGALLY); we no longer ask, nor demand, that they 'assimilate' (which would make us 'racists')...and we can not, (or will not) agree to any sort of 'standards' of behavior for our society, and we refuse to enforce our borders on the grounds that to do so would be 'xenophobic'....and the result would be the same..You'd end up with a lot of resentful, cynical, angry immigrants, arriving ONLY for the 'goodies', who cling to their 'old' culture because that's where their loyalty lies, and who are unmotivated to assimilate to OUR culture because we're too busy assuring them that they don't 'have' to.

Respect must be earned. Right now, we're not earning any...and new immigrants are happy to respond in kind. Glad to get the 'goodies' and the 'perks', of course...but 'respect'? How can they respect a place that apparently, to all outward appearances, doesn't respect itself?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:10 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,944,131 times
Quote:
Do people presume non English speaking people illegal immigrant?

I have never seen this sort of talk or debate about illegal immigrant anywhere in the world except for here in California.

I work all over the world in the oil and gas drilling/exploration industry. We work with people from all over the world but i am a bit uneasy about this topic which most people I am sure will find it borderline with racism.

I consider myself non racist and couldn't careless if people don't speak English fluently but at least they try.

Do white people paint all immigrants with the same brush called "Illegal Immigrants"?

I am sure some racist troll will attack me here but i am just asking why are we even talking about Illegal Immigrants? At least they are willing to do the jobs most Americans refused to do.
Okay you pretty much blew any thought you may be what you purport to be with that last little gem.

People, white people - excuse me? Do you honestly think the ONLY Americans that care about the illegal problem are WHITE? Yes, you ARE a racist.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:05 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,101,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Okay you pretty much blew any thought you may be what you purport to be with that last little gem.

People, white people - excuse me? Do you honestly think the ONLY Americans that care about the illegal problem are WHITE? Yes, you ARE a racist.
Why I do. because you and I both know very well that only white people are capable of being racist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or