U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:19 PM

12,466 posts, read 14,621,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmomandwife View Post
But why should I have to pay for it?? I pay for my own kids medical care!! I shouldn't have to pay for others!!
Well my my, that's a good reason to thumb your nose at the less fortunate in our society.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:30 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,166,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Well my my, that's a good reason to thumb your nose at the less fortunate in our society.
These illegals are not OUR society. They are citizens of their homelands and it is their homelands that are responsible for them, not us.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:48 PM

884 posts, read 586,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
What a load of horse hockey.

Have you been to an ER in a big city lately? Illegal aliens have no qualms about using our health care system for matters no more serious than the stomach flu and they do it with alarming regularity.

Additionally, WIC regularly offers childhood immunizations and they don't ask for proof of residency. Trust me, WIC is a commodity which is fully on the illegal alien radar.

Immunizations are out there to be had without threat of repercussion. However, statistics show that the compulsion to immunize breaks down along ethnic lines. THAT, is nobody's fault but their own once they are in this country.
Kele you are dead on with your statement. I work in one of these ER's in California, and believe me they use it as a F$$$in clinic 24/7. And if one were to read some of the headlines here in California pertussis is in epidemic proportions. The state with the most illegals = California. Coincidence, I think not..

Old 12-01-2010, 06:52 PM

884 posts, read 586,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I'am just curious purehuman, your above statement leads me to believe that you think everyone in the world who is "less fortunate" should be the United States problem. How much money and resources do you think this country has?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:18 PM

85,052 posts, read 99,039,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
Kele you are dead on with your statement. I work in one of these ER's in California, and believe me they use it as a F$$$in clinic 24/7. And if one were to read some of the headlines here in California pertussis is in epidemic proportions. The state with the most illegals = California. Coincidence, I think not..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Unlikely. The illness has to originate somewhere and since the majority of American children are vaccinated while illegal alien children more often are not, it becomes a simple matter of exposure.
Here is a post of mine from another thread about pertussis and illegal immigrants. It is not the Mexicans who are bringing in pertussis. Most are well immunized, also against polio, which someone brought up.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/15934792-post219.html

ETA: another link:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

In 2002, Mexico had a 96 percent vaccination rate for children ages 1 to 4, compared with an immunization rate of 79 percent for 2-year-olds in the United States.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:15 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,986,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here is a post of mine from another thread about pertussis and illegal immigrants. It is not the Mexicans who are bringing in pertussis. Most are well immunized, also against polio, which someone brought up.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/15934792-post219.html

ETA: another link:

Visual Culture - Infectious Disease - Immunization

In 2002, Mexico had a 96 percent vaccination rate for children ages 1 to 4, compared with an immunization rate of 79 percent for 2-year-olds in the United States.

We have to think about who is coming into the country legally and illegally (adults) and whether or not they were vaccinated against pertussis -- most likely not, or if they were, it has been so long and they haven't received a booster.

Something I found in an online med journal:

"Frequency

United States

Since the early 1980s, pertussis incidence has cyclically increased, with peaks occurring every 2-5 years.1 Most cases occur between June and September. Neither acquisition of the disease nor vaccination provides complete or lifelong immunity. Protection against typical disease wanes 3-5 years after vaccination and is not measurable after 12 years.
From 1980-2005, the reported incidence of pertussis in the United States dramatically increased across all age groups. Although the largest increase in pertussis cases has been among adolescents and adults, the annual reported incidence remained highest among infants younger than one year, at 55.2 cases per 100,000 population.2,3
International

The worldwide incidence is estimated to include 48.5 million cases and nearly 295,000 deaths per year.4 The case-fatality rate among infants in low-income countries may be as high as 4%."

Here in NYS, I was required by law this year to see that my child received a dTAP around her 11th birthday or else she would not be allowed in the school building. Pertussis is being taken rather seriously.

Herd immunity once protected the few unimmunized individuals as everyone else around them was immunized. We have seen the advent of the anti-vaccine movement, the gradual decline of the efficacy of the vaccine in our bodies (before we receive boosters or if we don't receive a booster) and the flow of hundreds of millions of people globally.

As much as I am anti-illegal immigrant, I can't solely blame them for the uptick in Pertussis.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,153,536 times
There is another much more plausible theory for the reemergence of pertussis. There have been outbreaks in the Netherlands and Europe due to a mutation that is resistant to the vaccination. It makes sense that eventually this would reach the US as well.
CDC - Adaptation of Bordetella pertussis to Vaccination: A Cause for Its Reemergence?
How Well Do Current Vaccines Protect Against Whooping Cough? | KPBS.org
Is Whooping Cough Vaccine Working? | KPBS.org

Old 12-04-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
I'am just curious purehuman, your above statement leads me to believe that you think everyone in the world who is "less fortunate" should be the United States problem. How much money and resources do you think this country has?
enough to spends billions on the space program...and the u.s. is not the only place where there are poor people..

Old 12-06-2010, 02:42 PM

85,052 posts, read 99,039,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We have to think about who is coming into the country legally and illegally (adults) and whether or not they were vaccinated against pertussis -- most likely not, or if they were, it has been so long and they haven't received a booster.

Here in NYS, I was required by law this year to see that my child received a dTAP around her 11th birthday or else she would not be allowed in the school building. Pertussis is being taken rather seriously.

As much as I am anti-illegal immigrant, I can't solely blame them for the uptick in Pertussis.
Tdap is a great vaccine, but it only became available in 2005. My younger daughter got pertussis at 13, eight years after her last booster. Fortunately, b/c she had been immunized, she wasn't as sick as she would have been had she never been immunized.

http://www.immunize.org/vis/td_tdap.pdf

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-06-2010 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 12-07-2010, 04:36 PM

DPT and DTaP Vaccines: Adverse Reactions. Thinktwice! http://www.wddty.com/the-most-dangerous-vaccine.html

Last edited by purehuman; 12-07-2010 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration