U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:44 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
You misunderatand me. Lets review.

no. 4 is a myth because we know that local law enforcement works with the federal government on immigration issues[287(g)]. That I dont even dispute. That is not the concern with 1070. The concern is NOT that the State of Arizona is enforcing immigration law, it is that the State of Arizona is Writing immigration law. That is the issue, not enforcement.

Now, is it legal for Arizona to write it's own immigration law with no input of the Federal govenment?

Is that Myth? or is it fact?
Tap tap tap, hello! There are laws being "written" by all States concerning parts of the Constitution. The latest being legislation to ban open carry in CA. That is definitely going against the 2nd. The States can and will regardless of what you or I "think".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 08:43 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Tap tap tap, hello! There are laws being "written" by all States concerning parts of the Constitution. The latest being legislation to ban open carry in CA. That is definitely going against the 2nd. The States can and will regardless of what you or I "think".
Indeed!

Where is the outrage against the violation of the Second Amendment?

Only laws that constrict the flow of drugs, cheap labor, and potential Democrat voters hit the top 10.

Hypocrites, all of 'em.

Liars, thieves, and whores! Carry 'em out NUDE!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 PM

61 posts, read 58,506 times
Quote:
You misunderatand me. Lets review.

no. 4 is a myth because we know that local law enforcement works with the federal government on immigration issues[287(g)]. That I dont even dispute. That is not the concern with 1070. The concern is NOT that the State of Arizona is enforcing immigration law, it is that the State of Arizona is Writing immigration law. That is the issue, not enforcement.

Now, is it legal for Arizona to write it's own immigration law with no input of the Federal govenment?

Is that Myth? or is it fact?
States can write laws effecting illegal immigration as outlined in Gonzales Vs City of Peoria

"Under the Court's rationale, state and local governments are constitutionally prohibited from regulating the conditions on legal entrance and residency in the United States, but they may enact otherwise valid regulations that impact immigrants"

Meaning, they can write laws to enforce federal law as long as it does not impead or go against the federal law.

"While the Court recognized that the INA comprehensively regulates immigration and naturalization, it found that Congress did not intend to completely occupy the immigration field to the exclusion of state activity"

practical power of state and local governments to enforce federal immigration laws, The | Brigham Young University Law Review | Find Articles at BNET

Old 06-25-2010, 08:46 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,106,910 times
What part of SB1070 is enforcing federal law do you liberals not understand? Talking to you 1751texan

Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
you keep bringing up the 2nd as a example, the Supreme court has ruled that communities can regulate "arms". The 2nd gives the right to bear "arms", but the SC ruled that communities have a right to identify what "arms" are and regulate.

Just because I have the right to bear arms, I dont have the right to carry a bazoka around...so says Federal Government and the Courts.

Immigration law has been the privy of the Federal Government. Why? Because the Feds dont want 50 different[no. of states] immigration laws.

That has been trend in our past, Recall when each state printed its own money? Entering into Treaties with foreign Nations, Declaring War, Printing Money, Regulating interstate commerce, Mail service.

Just think if each State wanted control over these duties, then owr entire country would function as smoothly as the Gun laws in this country.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
you keep bringing up the 2nd as a example, the Supreme court has ruled that communities can regulate "arms". The 2nd gives the right to bear "arms", but the SC ruled that communities have a right to identify what "arms" are and regulate.

Just because I have the right to bear arms, I dont have the right to carry a bazoka around...so says Federal Government and the Courts.

Immigration law has been the privy of the Federal Government. Why? Because the Feds dont want 50 different[no of states] immigration laws.

That has been tride in our past, Recall when each state printed its own money? Entering into Treaties with foreign Nations, Declaring War, Printing Money, Regulating interstate commerce, Mail service.

Just think if each State wanted control over these duties, then owr entire country would function as smoothly as the Gun laws in this country.
You need to stop watching Chris Matthews. Arizona did not create immigration law, THEY ARE ENFORCING THE FEDERAL IMMIGRATION LAWS. And it's a moot point comparing immigration law with gun laws, gun laws are the domain of the states, whereas setting immigration policy is not

Old 06-25-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
What part of SB1070 is enforcing federal law do you liberals not understand? Talking to you 1751texan
your question makes no sense.

What part of 1070 is enforcing federal law...[do you liberals not understand?]

Are you saying 1070 is a state law enforcing Federal immigration law?

Old 06-25-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Are you saying 1070 is a state law enforcing Federal immigration law?
Yep. Feds create the immigration laws, the states help the Feds by enforcing the laws THEY WROTE. Illegal immigrants violated federal law by being here illegally, but the illegals are also on state lands, not federal lands, so the states can enforce the laws too. That's all Sb1070 does, SB1070 does not create a new immigration law, it just ENFORCES immigration law. There's a big difference between the two

Old 06-25-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You need to stop watching Chris Matthews. Arizona did not create immigration law, THEY ARE ENFORCING THE FEDERAL IMMIGRATION LAWS. And it's a moot point comparing immigration law with gun laws, gun laws are the domain of the states, whereas setting immigration policy is not
Im sorry, I didnt see this post before answering your second post.

OK, now I know your question was ridiculous.

Why would a state have to write its own immigration law to enforce Federal immigration law?

For the Record, I dont watch the Chris Matthews show. Regardless if I did, I still know enough to know the question in Arizona SB1070...is not the enforcemnt of immagration law, it whether the State of Arizona[a state in the union] has the right to write it's own Immagration laws.

the 2nd amendment comparison was in reply to poster 1angrytaxpayer.
I never have confusued gun laws with immagration laws.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Why would a state have to write its own immigration law to enforce Federal immigration law?
To prevent city councils and mayors from creating sanctuary cities, as state law trumps local ordinances and policies since the cities derive their very existence from the states
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration