U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2010, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,321 posts, read 16,136,339 times
Reputation: 5685

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by am392 View Post
... the real issue is that they are anti- Immigrants.

Illegal or legal. As long as you have a foreign sounding first name, or do not look like a typical American, or have a slight accent, you are considered a foreigner even if you are a proud, patriotic naturalized US citizen!

Do Americans really welcome immigrants? I laugh whenever I (rarely) see a protester who goes on TV and says, "we're all for legal immigration." Yeah, right!!

I've come to the conclusion that only second or third generation immigrants have the chance to be treated equally as Americans, as long as all of his or her rich cultural traits have been 100% stripped and assimimlated into the grandiose American culture of McDonalds and Walmart.

The truth is majority of you are xenophobes hypocritically waiving the flag of "illegal immigration."

Being accepted as an American is just an illusion for legal immigrants.
I think you are wrong. The majority of Americans are against illegal immigration and in favor of a better process to include those wanting to become an American. The majority of you hispanic radicals posting here are in favor of an open border so America will become another Mexico. It just puzzles me that if a country is so bad i.e Mexico, why you want to destroy the goose that lays the golden eggs for you.

 
Old 06-24-2010, 02:47 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,004 times
Reputation: 10
Ok, first off, of course I do not support illegal immigration. In fact, I would actually support a militarized border (try trespassing in other parts of the world). Besides the fact that it is a crime, it causes legitimate immigrants more time, money, and headaches going through the system to immigrate legally. I do care about the people, though.

But the point of my post above was not about illegal immigration; it was about the sentiment toward immigrants. And in my opinion, the entire illegal immigration issue is just a disguise.

Listen, I grew up here as a legal immigrant and then a naturalized citizen five years later. I am a first generation immigrant, so I actually know about the unwelcoming sentiments as so satirically written by the a-hole above.

I also talk to other immigrants and some feel the same. And some are afraid to speak up, obviously.

I grew up believing & hoping I was an American. But in adulthood, one realizes that when people comment and tease you behind your back, or tells you to go "home" to your face in an argument (I thought home is here?), that he or she is still an outsider and unwelcome regardless of citizenship or legal status. I moved around a lot and I encountered similar problems in all places.

So I still stick with my comment that xenophobia is part of America--some things don't change--and until it's completely removed, it will remain a cancer.

Perhaps if this issue is brought to light, newer generation immigrant families will have the opportunity and fortune to immigrate to more welcoming nations (yes, they exist) where their kids and grand kids grow up in a tolerate, respectful society.

As for me, as a consequence of assimilation and realizing the truth, I no longer have a true identity or a place I can sincerely call home.

By the way, if you guys care so much about immigrants, why aren't there legal immigrants in your rallies, or legal immigrants that will speak on your behalf. I don't even think there are foreign/cultural organizations in the US that support your cause publicly. I wonder why that is....
 
Old 06-24-2010, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,321 posts, read 16,136,339 times
Reputation: 5685
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You're absolutely correct. America has ALWAYS gone out of its way to make sure that the 'newbies'....immigrants legal or not....were made to feel unwelcome. marginalized, 'left out', and looked down upon. It's pretty obvious that this must be the MAIN reason so few people from foreign countries are ever tempted to come here...and why only a very small percentage of Americans today are descended from immigrant ancestors.

Immigrants over the years have always 'voted with their feet'; they tend to go where they're welcomed....China, Russia, Albania, North Korea, Finland, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Lesotho, Paraguay....just about ANY place, it seems, except for the USA. And who can blame them? Our lack of common courtesy is one of the greatest reasons we can't seem to convince people to come here today.

Oh well...it's our loss, I suppose. For our serious shortage of immigrants, (legal or not), we have only ourselves to blame.

America, you should be ASHAMED of yourself, treating immigrants that way !!

Thanks, OP, for having the backbone to point this out. SHAMEFUL !!!
You can't be serious. Most immigrants coming here through Ellis Is were treated very well by the government. It was the other immigrants like the Irish who were treated badly by other immigrants better established, then the Polish who were also treated badly by the Irish and so on. It was a battle for turf and political power. I don't think it is fair to generalize that all of America treated immigrants badly, they beat each other up. We hand out visas like candy and put quite a few immigrants through our colleges.
 
Old 06-24-2010, 02:52 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
You can't be serious. Most immigrants coming here through Ellis Is were treated very well by the government. It was the other immigrants like the Irish who were treated badly by other immigrants better established, then the Polish who were also treated badly by the Irish and so on. It was a battle for turf and political power. I don't think it is fair to generalize that all of America treated immigrants badly, they beat each other up. We hand out visas like candy and put quite a few immigrants through our colleges.
It's Mac....

It's satire.

I know, he comes around so rarely we tend not to recognize his own unique brand of humor....
 
Old 06-24-2010, 02:54 PM
 
1,785 posts, read 2,921,729 times
Reputation: 3061
Quote:
Originally Posted by am392 View Post
Ok, first off, of course I do not support illegal immigration. In fact, I would actually support a militarized border (try trespassing in other parts of the world). Besides the fact that it is a crime, it causes legitimate immigrants more time, money, and headaches going through the system to immigrate legally. I do care about the people, though.

But the point of my post above was not about illegal immigration; it was about the sentiment toward immigrants. And in my opinion, the entire illegal immigration issue is just a disguise.

Listen, I grew up here as a legal immigrant and then a naturalized citizen five years later. I am a first generation immigrant, so I actually know about the unwelcoming sentiments as so satirically written by the a-hole above.

I also talk to other immigrants and some feel the same. And some are afraid to speak up, obviously.

I grew up believing & hoping I was an American. But in adulthood, one realizes that when people comment and tease you behind your back, or tells you to go "home" to your face in an argument (I thought home is here?), that he or she is still an outsider and unwelcome regardless of citizenship or legal status. I moved around a lot and I encountered similar problems in all places.

So I still stick with my comment that xenophobia is part of America--some things don't change--and until it's completely removed, it will remain a cancer.

Perhaps if this issue is brought to light, newer generation immigrant families will have the opportunity and fortune to immigrate to more welcoming nations (yes, they exist) where their kids and grand kids grow up in a tolerate, respectful society.

As for me, as a consequence of assimilation and realizing the truth, I no longer have a true identity or a place I can sincerely call home.

By the way, if you guys care so much about immigrants, why aren't there legal immigrants in your rallies, or legal immigrants that will speak on your behalf. I don't even think there are foreign/cultural organizations in the US that support your cause publicly. I wonder why that is....
Look, you seem to be on a woe is me kick - and to satisfy what you feel as being unwelcome, you want to throw a blanket of misstatement over the country that adopted you via citizenship. I can only speak from my side, but I can tell you that my Dad put up with a good few comments of being an Irish Donkey when he landed here. My Mom, from Scotland, not so much. Again, just speaking of what I know, what you are boo-hooing about is FAR lighter than what Irish immigrants got in the 1800's and well into the mid 1900's. Toughen up.

When I lived in Europe and the UK, do you think I was not judged as an American and being an outsider? Of course I was. Anyone perceived to be "different" gets the same thing all over the world. That's just the way of HUMAN nature - not just American nature.
 
Old 06-24-2010, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,847 posts, read 1,851,024 times
Reputation: 1741
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
No, I'm not. And please do not presume to speak for me. I am actually the child of TWO immigrants who came to this country LEGALLY after filling out many documents, having sponsors that swore to support them (i.e. no public assistance), and had to go through strict medical exams for entry.

I have NO problem with immigrants and do believe that it was and is what makes this country great. I do, however, have a problem with people entering this country illegally, thereby jumping over all the other people who are following the law and the process.
can totally relate and agree 100%

the Op obviously is ill informed
 
Old 06-24-2010, 03:31 PM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Reputation: 11576
In my opinion, we need to tighten the lid on immigration completely. We're full up much like Australia is and we don't need anymore people. All more immigration is doing is bringing wages down for people, hence why so many people from the 3rd world keep pouring in here because these people are willing to work for lower wages. We need to stop immigration from the 3rd world completely, and severely restrict immigration from more developed nations, and put in safeguards that an employer has to go out of its way to prove that an American was not found suitable for a job.
 
Old 06-24-2010, 03:33 PM
 
Location: John & Ken-ville
13,692 posts, read 15,117,815 times
Reputation: 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by am392 View Post
... the real issue is that they are anti- Immigrants.

Illegal or legal. As long as you have a foreign sounding first name, or do not look like a typical American, or have a slight accent, you are considered a foreigner even if you are a proud, patriotic naturalized US citizen!

Do Americans really welcome immigrants? I laugh whenever I (rarely) see a protester who goes on TV and says, "we're all for legal immigration." Yeah, right!!

I've come to the conclusion that only second or third generation immigrants have the chance to be treated equally as Americans, as long as all of his or her rich cultural traits have been 100% stripped and assimimlated into the grandiose American culture of McDonalds and Walmart.

The truth is majority of you are xenophobes hypocritically waiving the flag of "illegal immigration."

Being accepted as an American is just an illusion for legal immigrants.
We didn't have a problem before we were flooded with 35,000,000 illegals were we?

Who had a problem when immigration was widespread and legal? NOBODY.

Who started putting up a fuss when they were put out of work because they were undercut by illegal labor? AMERICANS WHO HAD THE JOBS BEFORE!

Who started putting up a fuss when AMERICAN companies started advertizing in MEXICAN newspapers for CHEAP LABOR TO IMPORT? NOBODY!

Who started putting up a fuss when HOSPITAL EMERGENCY ROOMS STARTED CLOSING?! Americans did!

You tell me where and WHEN Americans put up any kind of fuss when LEGAL immigrants came here LEGALLY!

None! What you're trying to do is draw a comparison with LEGAL IMMIGRATION and ILLEGAL ALIENS!

DON'T DO IT, YOU'RE WRONG NOW, AND YOU'LL BE WRONG TOMORROW AND TILL THE END OF TIME IF YOU TRY TO ARGUE THIS RIDICULOUS ISSUE.

YOU'RE ARGUING APPLES AND STEAK WHICH ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT KINDS OF FOODS! NOT EVEN APPLES AND ORANGES CAUSE THEY'RE BOTH IN THE FRUIT FAMILY!
 
Old 06-24-2010, 03:45 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Reputation: 2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by am392 View Post
Ok, first off, of course I do not support illegal immigration. In fact, I would actually support a militarized border (try trespassing in other parts of the world). Besides the fact that it is a crime, it causes legitimate immigrants more time, money, and headaches going through the system to immigrate legally. I do care about the people, though.

But the point of my post above was not about illegal immigration; it was about the sentiment toward immigrants. And in my opinion, the entire illegal immigration issue is just a disguise.

Listen, I grew up here as a legal immigrant and then a naturalized citizen five years later. I am a first generation immigrant, so I actually know about the unwelcoming sentiments as so satirically written by the a-hole above.

I also talk to other immigrants and some feel the same. And some are afraid to speak up, obviously.

I grew up believing & hoping I was an American. But in adulthood, one realizes that when people comment and tease you behind your back, or tells you to go "home" to your face in an argument (I thought home is here?), that he or she is still an outsider and unwelcome regardless of citizenship or legal status. I moved around a lot and I encountered similar problems in all places.

So I still stick with my comment that xenophobia is part of America--some things don't change--and until it's completely removed, it will remain a cancer.

Perhaps if this issue is brought to light, newer generation immigrant families will have the opportunity and fortune to immigrate to more welcoming nations (yes, they exist) where their kids and grand kids grow up in a tolerate, respectful society.

As for me, as a consequence of assimilation and realizing the truth, I no longer have a true identity or a place I can sincerely call home.

By the way, if you guys care so much about immigrants, why aren't there legal immigrants in your rallies, or legal immigrants that will speak on your behalf. I don't even think there are foreign/cultural organizations in the US that support your cause publicly. I wonder why that is....

Look, I'm sorry that you went through some ****. But heres the thing -- we all do. Sometimes its because of an accent, or the shape of ones body or the type of job one might have or well, anything at all. There are azholes in every culture, country, nation and ethnicity. There will be people who say hurtful things just to say hurtful things. That should not condemn an entire nation or people though.

If you honestly feel that you have no place then might I suggest to you that you should move to a part of the country that isn't so....stagnant? Full of jerks? Sometimes a fresh start is needed. Just have an open mind that not all people are looking at you as though you are a foreignor.
 
Old 06-24-2010, 03:46 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Reputation: 17688
I think 35 million Illegal Immigrants is who you should be venting your frustration at. We Americans like Immigrants when they come in the front door. We don't like the ones kicking in the back door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top