Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,308 times

Advertisements

... the real issue is that they are anti- Immigrants.

Illegal or legal. As long as you have a foreign sounding first name, or do not look like a typical American, or have a slight accent, you are considered a foreigner even if you are a proud, patriotic naturalized US citizen!

Do Americans really welcome immigrants? I laugh whenever I (rarely) see a protester who goes on TV and says, "we're all for legal immigration." Yeah, right!!

I've come to the conclusion that only second or third generation immigrants have the chance to be treated equally as Americans, as long as all of his or her rich cultural traits have been 100% stripped and assimimlated into the grandiose American culture of McDonalds and Walmart.

The truth is majority of you are xenophobes hypocritically waiving the flag of "illegal immigration."

Being accepted as an American is just an illusion for legal immigrants.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:21 PM

50,063 posts, read 46,605,276 times
If you say so. I've got a batch of friends fresh off the boat (legally) that would argue with you on that. One from Serbia, one from Africa and one from Iraq.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:34 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,631,488 times
Not anti immigrant at all. I come from a family of immigrants as I believe most of us do. I have friends and know people that are legal immigrants from many different countries. Mostly Latin Americans and some from Mexico.

They did it legally and for many that was a hardship. But I respect that they followed the law and want to contribute to their new home in as many ways as possible. Most came for freedom and fled oppressive regimes. Not just for a job. Knowing them has made me appreciate my country more. And I am happy they are here and free.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:37 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,748,405 times
Wow,ALL Americans are anti-immigrant?....
Theres plenty of immigrants who love this country,blend in and add to our society.
Most americans have no problem with these folks.
Legal immigration is fine as long as there are limits.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:18 PM

436 posts, read 753,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am392 View Post
No, I think the real issue is that they are against illegal immigration and open borders.

Quote:
As long as you have a foreign sounding first name, or do not look like a typical American, or have a slight accent, you are considered a foreigner even if you are a proud, patriotic naturalized US citizen!
Do Americans really welcome immigrants? I laugh whenever I (rarely) see a protester who goes on TV and says, "we're all for legal immigration." Yeah, right!!
My family are legal immigrants. I also have many friends from different backgrounds (primarily Iraqi, Lebanese, Korean, Japanese and Indian). Many of them are recent immigrants. I hate to tell you this but almost all legal immigrants are against illegal immigration. Are there some racists in America? Of course there are. Do U.S. immigration policies need to be revamped? Probably. But I think most Americans are for legal immigration.

Quote:
The truth is majority of you are xenophobes hypocritically waiving the flag of "illegal immigration."
Are you saying that if you are against illegal immigration, that means you are a xenophobe. Are you a legal alien or naturalized citizen? If not, quit acting like you speak for us. The truth is, is that you have no idea what you are talking about. A country is defined by its laws, borders and citizens. Without them, the country ceases to exist. This is common sense.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:25 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,600,555 times
Ah, hyerbole - the last ditch defence of someone whose 'side' is losing.

The truth is that that some Americans are xenophobes and sadly they are not alone in that. Xenophobes exist in all nations -- even in Mexico. Hard to believe, right?

And some Americans are for an immigration free for all. Most of these people tend to benefit from illegal immigration either throw cheap labor, slumlords or having relatives who are illegal. Hardly noble sentiments when you look too closely.

The truth is that most Americans are for legal immigration and against illegal immigration. Some wish to abolish it all others would be less strict about enforcement to those already here. But the middle ground is where most of America is at, and hopefully it will be the middle who wins this debate and not the extremeists of either side.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:36 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,753,027 times
I think the poster is just angry Americans are trying to prevent illegal immigration then the treatment of legal immigrants... he/she is just deflecting so nobody notices the OP's loathing of American cultural heritage in general...

Old 06-24-2010, 02:38 PM

37,941 posts, read 17,735,437 times
Quote:

Illegal or legal. As long as you have a foreign sounding first name, or do not look like a typical American, or have a slight accent, you are considered a foreigner even if you are a proud, patriotic naturalized US citizen!

I've come to the conclusion that only second or third generation immigrants have the chance to be treated equally as Americans, as long as all of his or her rich cultural traits have been 100% stripped and assimimlated into the grandiose American culture of McDonalds and Walmart.

ok, what happened? Someone at the Tastee Freeze ask you to say "Thank you, please come again" or "Take it and go" ?

Old 06-24-2010, 02:52 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,449,722 times
No, I'm not. And please do not presume to speak for me. I am actually the child of TWO immigrants who came to this country LEGALLY after filling out many documents, having sponsors that swore to support them (i.e. no public assistance), and had to go through strict medical exams for entry.

I have NO problem with immigrants and do believe that it was and is what makes this country great. I do, however, have a problem with people entering this country illegally, thereby jumping over all the other people who are following the law and the process.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:53 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,511,746 times
Quote:

You're absolutely correct. America has ALWAYS gone out of its way to make sure that the 'newbies'....immigrants legal or not....were made to feel unwelcome. marginalized, 'left out', and looked down upon. It's pretty obvious that this must be the MAIN reason so few people from foreign countries are ever tempted to come here...and why only a very small percentage of Americans today are descended from immigrant ancestors.

Immigrants over the years have always 'voted with their feet'; they tend to go where they're welcomed....China, Russia, Albania, North Korea, Finland, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Lesotho, Paraguay....just about ANY place, it seems, except for the USA. And who can blame them? Our lack of common courtesy is one of the greatest reasons we can't seem to convince people to come here today.

Oh well...it's our loss, I suppose. For our serious shortage of immigrants, (legal or not), we have only ourselves to blame.

America, you should be ASHAMED of yourself, treating immigrants that way !!

Thanks, OP, for having the backbone to point this out. SHAMEFUL !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration