U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will You Participate in this Program?
Yes - I am unemployed and there's no job THIS American won't do! 1 10.00%
Yes - I am already a farm worker. 0 0%
No - I am unemployed but I don't want to do that job. 0 0%
No - I am already employed; illegals have not yet taken my job. 9 90.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:09 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,687,600 times

Advertisements

Sign up here to receive free training and job assignments in farm labor. Once these jobs are filled by legal residents, there will be no incentive for a large number of illegals to come or stay:

TAKEOURJOBS.ORG

Will you participate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 11:18 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,178,918 times
Looks shady. I don't think this is a safe site. I've never heard of this organization.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:24 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
WOW...put up, or________ .

you America, fill in the blank.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:27 AM

2,731 posts, read 5,936,312 times
This thread fails,Farming is the one area we might need guest workers.
Americans ARE willing to do construction,hotel work,food service,etc
Many of the jobs illegals are taking are ones that high school/college kids do.
Also jobs that people get started in the work world with.
I have worked in foodservice,been a dishwasher,etc

Old 06-25-2010, 08:11 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Sign up here to receive free training and job assignments in farm labor. Once these jobs are filled by legal residents, there will be no incentive for a large number of illegals to come or stay:

TAKEOURJOBS.ORG

Will you participate?
In reality, very few illegals are doing farm work. Farm work only accounts for fewer than 2 million total jobs - and not all "hispanics" you see working in agriculture are here illegally. There is no reason for them to be here illegally since H2A visas have no caps.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Looks shady. I don't think this is a safe site. I've never heard of this organization.
I didn't look at it - to me since it's a false premise in the first place, it's suspect.

As there are fewer than 2 million jobs in agriculture in the first place and up to 25% of these jobs are held by illegals, that only accounts for 500,000 illegals.

I don't see a farm worker and jump to the conclusion that individual is here illegally because many are not. It's a very easy way to get a legitimate visa after all - H2A visas are easy and unlimited - so why would one automatically assume a farm worker is an illegal? Also many Americans already are working in agriculture.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:17 AM

7,091 posts, read 18,417,215 times
the yahoo article mentioned that up to 50% of the ag workers were illegal, so that's 1M jobs right there. if there are 12M illegals in the country, that means ag makes up over 8% of the illegal job market. what other industry in this country has 50% illegal labor and makes up nearly 10% of the illegal job market?

anyways, i can't picture an american in their right mind who would give up their montly unemployment/welfare checks to work in terrible conditions for practically nothing. i think the point being made by this group is a good one: our way of life in the US is dependent on the exploitation of those with will actually work these types of jobs. i would doubt that things will remain this way until we reach 25% unemployment and the average family has a difficult time feeding themselves (like something out of a Steinbeck novel).

Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
the yahoo article mentioned that up to 50% of the ag workers were illegal, so that's 1M jobs right there. if there are 12M illegals in the country, that means ag makes up over 8% of the illegal job market. what other industry in this country has 50% illegal labor and makes up nearly 10% of the illegal job market?

anyways, i can't picture an american in their right mind who would give up their montly unemployment/welfare checks to work in terrible conditions for practically nothing. i think the point being made by this group is a good one: our way of life in the US is dependent on the exploitation of those with will actually work these types of jobs. i would doubt that things will remain this way until we reach 25% unemployment and the average family has a difficult time feeding themselves (like something out of a Steinbeck novel).
It's many fewer than 2 million jobs in agriculture. And the yahoo people probably don't realize that green cards and H2A visas are very easily obtained for farm workers. There's no reason to believe that half of all farm workers are illegals.

From the Occupational Outlook site:

Agricultural Workers, Other

Agricultural workers held about 821,700 jobs in 2008. About one third was employed in animal production; some found employment in support activities for agriculture and forestry.

Employment change. Overall employment is expected to show little or no change in employment. Fewer agricultural workers will be needed overall because of continued consolidation of farms and technological advancements in farm equipment that is raising output per farm worker. The agriculture industry also is expected to face increased competition from foreign countries and rising imports, particularly from Central America and China because of trade agreements with those regions. Nursery and greenhouse workers might experience some job growth in this period, if the demand for landscaping plants resumes its growth pattern.

Even if half of agricultural workers are illegal (and there's no real indication they are) that would account for 412,000 illegals out of 30-40 million illegals living here. More likely 25% are here illegally - which accounts for about 210,900 illegals out of 30-40 million.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:35 PM

Report: 5 Percent of Labor Force Are Illegal Immigrants : NPR

Nearly a quarter of all farm workers are here illegally

Some estimates claim half of farm workers are illegals. Some claim 75% are illegals. Even if every farm worker was illegal - that's only 821,700 jobs according to the government occupation statistics - and farm occupations are actually decreasing, not increasing.

Information on the H2A visa:

Employment Law Guide - Temporary Agricultural Workers (H-2A Visas) (http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/taw.htm - broken link)

The H-2A temporary agricultural program establishes a means for agricultural employers who anticipate a shortage of domestic workers to bring nonimmigrant foreign workers to the U.S. to perform agricultural labor or services of a temporary or seasonal nature.

There is no cap on the number of H2A visas.

Also keep in mind that the late 80's amnesty covered many millions of illegals supposedly to work in agriculture. At least some of the amnestied didn't commit fraud, although we know the level of fraud in that amnesty was atrociously high. Some were actually farm workers as they claimed to be and were given legal status -- that supplied us with enough legal farm workers for many many decades.

Often when I see farm workers and I live in an area where illegals are very high in number, I see citizens and legal guest workers out there working, you can't assume that every one of them is breaking the law, many actually do have work permits.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:23 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
I was at my dhs family reunion last weekend and one of the things they reminisced about was when they spent summers detassling corn.

Hard field labor. They would get up before dawn work all day. And yes - not only were they NOT illegals, but their children continue the practice to this very day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration