Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 10:28 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,407,867 times

Advertisements

In 2004, Heathcliffe Bradley was planning to return to his native New Zealand after eight years in the United States when he met Cheryl Losee, a New Jersey native, and his plans flew out the window. He stayed, they married, and then he turned his attention to a lingering problem: Mr. Bradley was an illegal immigrant.

But what seemed to them a straightforward process to make Mr. Bradley a legal resident soon turned into a bureaucratic and legal nightmare. Last month Mr. Bradley, a construction worker who says he has no criminal record in either the United States or New Zealand, was hauled from his home in handcuffs and put in an immigration detention center in Elizabeth, N.J., and told he was going to be deported.

He is challenging his deportation in the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.

“I’m fighting for my wife and for myself,” he said on Tuesday, sounding weary. “This is my life, and this is where I want to live.”

Mr. Bradley, 36, had been swept up in tougher enforcement of the Department of Homeland Security’s Visa Waiver Program, which allows citizens of certain countries, all close allies of the United States, to stay in the country for 90 days or less without obtaining a visa.

www.nytimes.com

Millions of people want to live here as evidenced by millions like this moron who think simply because it's their dream or hearts' desire to do so that our laws don't apply to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 10:50 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
How he could have avoided this delema.
1. Marry the love of his life.
2. Return to New Zealand and file for the spousal visa.
3. Wait the 6 months to 1 year for the temp visa.
4. Come back to the usa
5 apply for perm residence
6. do the paper work make the appointments and follow the system.
What he did instead.
Ignored the expiration date of his visa
waited until he was in violation of immigration laws
ignored the fact that had he returned on his own even then and applied for the spousal visa he would have been ok.
In short he dug himself into a hole. Self inflicted and deserved.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
How he could have avoided this delema.
1. Marry the love of his life.
2. Return to New Zealand and file for the spousal visa.
3. Wait the 6 months to 1 year for the temp visa.
4. Come back to the usa
5 apply for perm residence
6. do the paper work make the appointments and follow the system.
What he did instead.
Ignored the expiration date of his visa
waited until he was in violation of immigration laws
ignored the fact that had he returned on his own even then and applied for the spousal visa he would have been ok.
In short he dug himself into a hole. Self inflicted and deserved.
Agreed. I am beginning to wonder if anyone understands the meaning of personal responsibility anymore. Those here illegally seem to blame everyone except themselves for their criminal activities in their pursuit of demanding that America and it's rule of law should change to accomodate any and all of their criminally motivated selfish desires.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:51 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Side note here:

From what I have heard: New Zealand is not exactly a Third World cesspool either.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:21 PM

50,263 posts, read 47,023,439 times
I want to live in China and I want their tax payers to pay for my school, health care and rent. What are my chances?

Old 11-21-2008, 06:25 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I want to live in China and I want their tax payers to pay for my school, health care and rent. What are my chances?
China's govt would chew you up like chicken wings during monday night football.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Of course you do know that all Americans are rich and capable of paying for everything, including but not limited to the well being of everyone else in the world. Surely you don't expect them to assume otherwise.

That being the case, your chances? . . .are slim to none

Old 06-27-2010, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,353 times
Default Something is Missing

Actually, something seems to be missing from this story. Generally, people who have been here out of status and accruing unlawful presence are eligible for permanent residence petitions through an adjustment of status by marriage to a US citizen. As long as he entered the country with a legitimate visa and an I-94, he is not barred from marriage petitioning. He should have consulted a lawyer for the process, but this should not have happened unless there is something omitted from the details of the case.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
This happened back in Nov '08. On April 22, 2010 his petition to appeal was denied.

He entered the USA on a visa waiver in 1996, thus he gave up any rights to appeal deportation but was fighting that decision on the grounds he didn't know what he was signing upon entry to the USA (the document that gives up those rights).

Can't find out whether he was then deported or left voluntarily.

Entrants to the USA on the VWP are NOT eligible to adjust status. The only grounds for a person on a VWP visa is asylum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration