Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 06:05 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times

Advertisements

"Few of their children in the country learn English. The signs in our streets have inscriptions in both languages. . . . Unless the stream of their importation could be turned . . . they will soon so outnumber us that we will not preserve our language, and even our government will become precarious."
Was that said by a right winger? Tea Party member? Arizona governor?

No, it was Benjamin Franklin, in 1753, talking about German immigrants.

A better welcome for our nation's immigrants - By Jeb Bush and Robert D. Putnam, Washington Post, Saturday, July 3, 2010.
Research by sociologists Claude Fischer and Michael Hout published in 2008 suggests that English acquisition among immigrants today is faster than in previous waves.

Today's immigrants are, on average, assimilating socially even more rapidly than earlier waves.
But,
One important difference, however, that separates immigration then and now: We native-born Americans are doing less than our great-grandparents did to welcome immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 06:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Big difference between legal immigrants and illegal aliens however. Legal immigrants are expected to learn English - except in the big family sponsorship chain migration that's allowed.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:10 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
"Few of their children in the country learn English. The signs in our streets have inscriptions in both languages. . . . Unless the stream of their importation could be turned . . . they will soon so outnumber us that we will not preserve our language, and even our government will become precarious."

A better welcome for our nation's immigrants - By Jeb Bush and Robert D. Putnam, Washington Post, Saturday, July 3, 2010.
Research by sociologists Claude Fischer and Michael Hout published in 2008 suggests that English acquisition among immigrants today is faster than in previous waves.

Today's immigrants are, on average, assimilating socially even more rapidly than earlier waves.
But,
One important difference, however, that separates immigration then and now: We native-born Americans are doing less than our great-grandparents did to welcome immigrants.
When will you people get it through your thick skulls that WE dont have any problem with immigration. LEGAL immigration is great.

What we do have a problem with is ILLEGAL immigration. You and the rest of the fringe on the Left need to stop the lies and bs on how this is all about race and that we hate immigrants. You dont hear anyone complaining about the many, many people we take in each and every year...LEGALLY!
Heck, my personal opinion is that we probably take in too many legally each year. I think our population is big enough in the country that we dont necessarily need to accept as many as we do each year. But thats besides the point. Your notion, the tactics you on the left use for this immigration debate is full of lies, hypocrisy, and deceit.

And perhaps you yourself should understand something. If you think people like Pelosi and Obama "care" about this illegal immigration issue the way they do, because they actually care about those people....well then YOU are being naive. They want their votes, and thats all there is to it. They want more people that they can put at the mercy of the government. They want more people that they can call "victims". More people that "need" to rely on the government to survive, or at least thats how the Democrats see it.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:20 AM

561 posts, read 505,687 times
GreenGene,

I agree with you. However, let’s not forget that between 2000 and 2008 Bush and the R's did nothing to stop illegal immigration. In fact, Bush, McCain, Graham and other R’s supported an amnesty program similar to the Reagan program in 1986. The controversy is not between liberal and conservative, it’s between government and the people.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:21 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Praise God in this moment.

This country began as a Christian country, when that meant loving one's brother, and freedom was cherished. Now we CALL ourselves Christians, Islamics, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, etc -- but we really do NOT practice our religions. All world religions core beliefs entail: humility, service to others, and praise of God (regardless of God's label).

Now, we live in an age where it seems we can call a wolf "Grandma" and we deny seeing she has teeth. I am not sure whether we lie to deceive others, or ourselves, but I am quite certain there is a lesson here, and we are in the process of learning it the hard way.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:25 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:

But,
Hmmm I disagree. Due to the Civil Rights Act, government agencies are required to at least attempt outreach to limited English communities. I'd say the average American does the same or more than past generations (I can't say grandparents because mine *were* immigrants.)

Old 07-03-2010, 07:29 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Praise God in this moment.

This country began as a Christian country, when that meant loving one's brother, and freedom was cherished. Now we CALL ourselves Christians, Islamics, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, etc -- but we really do NOT practice our religions. All world religions core beliefs entail: humility, service to others, and praise of God (regardless of God's label).

Now, we live in an age where it seems we can call a wolf "Grandma" and we deny seeing she has teeth. I am not sure whether we lie to deceive others, or ourselves, but I am quite certain there is a lesson here, and we are in the process of learning it the hard way.
I don't know why people always dream of the past. When your country began life was not pleasant at all, neither in the US, nor most anywhere else. I am happy I live today and not back then. Not even in religious terms was it better, actually people in the US may have been free in this respect, but only regarding the government. There was enormous pressure and basically brainwashing on the part of the family. Choosing what you believe in was not OK back then.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:29 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
GreenGene,

I agree with you. However, let’s not forget that between 2000 and 2008 Bush and the R's did nothing to stop illegal immigration. In fact, Bush, McCain, Graham and other R’s supported an amnesty program similar to the Reagan program in 1986. The controversy is not between liberal and conservative, it’s between government and the people.
Partisan hardliner thinking at its worse.
What pray tell did the dems do about it? What did they even try to do about it? How about when they had the majority?
Guess they did just about as much as their reb. counter parts. But why oh why is it that you fail to mention these simple facts?

Old 07-03-2010, 02:58 PM

364 posts, read 244,297 times
Quote:

But,
ppl who came here by tha rules or ilegal aliens?
i have no respect for ilegal aliens
there an insult by just being here

Old 07-03-2010, 03:16 PM

406 posts, read 495,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
GreenGene,

McCain and his good old boys need to go. We need to vote out the representatives that don't represent what we want! Its very simple, you must see through the recent conservative conversions of these progressive republicans. Make educated decisions about who you want representing you, they don't have to see eye to eye on every issue with you just the issues that matter most. I am starting by campaigning for JD Hayworth, not the perfect canidate but better than the alternative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration