U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:45 PM

10,032 posts, read 6,858,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I remember when I was young I heard the name W*tback alot but never knew what it meant.

Nostalgia....

YouTube - Operation *******
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 03:00 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,131,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambini View Post
What a touching story. It almost makes me want to forget the thousand pounds of drugs that was seized by the border patrol today. Not the Canadian border either!
What would be nice to see is a compelling story about all the tens of thousands of newly unemployed Americans trying to find any old thing so they don't have to lose their homes. That would be compelling.
You know what gets me? That we have an administration that almost invites drug smugglers to continue as usual, bringing in this toxic crap to kill more kids and cause more officers to be killed.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:51 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,197,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Thanks, but, you misunderstood me. I didn't know what it meant 50 years ago, before I was 10 yr's old. Today after living in SoCal for over 36 yr's, I'm well aware of what it means. At least I better be.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:35 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambini View Post
The illegals aren't so worried about SB 1070 right now. The big talk around the illegal community in west Phoenix is when good old Barack is going to grant them amnesty. These guys think its coming really soon, amnesty that is. Every once in awhile I get to talk to my friends (he is legal) family (most of them are not). From what I understand they got the idea about amnesty from tv ads on the spanish stations.
True. They very much do.

The fact is - many illegals when first packing up their backpack to come over to the USA fully intended on returning home soon enough. Many just wanted extra money - the way an American might work in Saudi for a year or so to get some money ahead. Some do it more for the adventure, they heard about the big easy money and how easy it all is to get here - and it is very easy - so they do it.

At first they're sad, they miss their friends, they miss their families, their wives and kids. They miss their hometowns and neighborhoods and think of the day they'll head back - with wads of cash in their hands, but they'll go home a richer man.

Then they start hearing of the promises of amnesty. Stay on longer - get your easy amnesty and it'll be great - you can bring your entire families over here - everyone can be rich.

Some want to go home - but they're afraid now that the minute they do, the big amnesty is going to happen and they'll miss their chance. So they hang on longer, missing their families, missing important events in their families. They see it like an insurance policy - have their papers and they can come back and forth as they please, they can bring in elderly who need Medicaid free health care, down-on-their-luck relatives who could use food stamps.

If the politicans would come out and tell them plain out that there is not going to be an amnesty, never will be one, many would then get on with it, would decide it's time to go back home, get something started there, spend some time with their kids back home before they all grow up.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Yup. That's why it is important as someone who is fighting against illegal immigration to keep an eye on Spanish-speaking channels and media. They feed them all sorts of stories, its almost like some Russian, Nazi or North Korean propaganda blitz.
That is exactly it. What's really weird about the Spanish speaking channels and media is that whenever there's a tornado or flood, they'll find the handful of Spanish speakers affected and make it seem that the whole USA is only Spanish-speaking.

NY's Eve at Time's Square appears to be nothing but Mexicans and many other Spanish speakers - they'll carefully avoid showing anything in English, no American types seeing the new year in. One woman was telling me the other day, her family (legally here) traveled north (first time out of border area) and she was shocked that in other parts of the USA the people are mostly white or black and English speaking, she thought everyone all over the USA was Mexican. It seems like that when watching television because she watches Spanish television and that is how they try to make it seem.

They portray amnesty entirely different than is fact. It's always right around the corner. And you're right - it's a real propaganda blitz going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration