Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,119,096 times

Advertisements

Young illegal immigrants get chance to learn but not earn | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Dallas News on Yahoo! | The Dallas Morning News

"...Juan will attend the University of Texas at San Antonio. But in sharp irony to the country's education ethos, a degree will not boost his career. Juan can't gain legal employment without a Social Security number, meaning he can return to Mexico with his acquired skills or do the same work as his relatives here...."

"...Others sacrifice for it, he said. "When you admit a kid to the University of Texas who is in the country illegally, by definition you are excluding somebody else. That kid also worked hard and his or her family didn't break any law."

Texas awarded about $33.6 million in state and institutional financial aid to these students between fall 2004 and summer 2008, which also includes those who are not legal permanent residents or U.S. citizens.

U.S. citizens "are having trouble making ends meet and can't pay tuition for their own kids," said David Rogers, the coalition's attorney..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 PM

76 posts, read 83,918 times
why can't these people learn how to wait in line??? There are many kids came here the right way. They should deserve more than these illegals.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:02 PM

37,115 posts, read 42,149,605 times
Take your frustration out on the school, they can admit anyone they want from wherever they want.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:12 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,650,690 times

Let's mourn for the death of Common Sense.

Why go to an university if you can't use a degree?

They didn't break any laws? Then why are they called illegal aliens? They are here unlawfully, thus, they already broke the law when they stepped on U.S. soil!

However, I am really surprised by this:

Quote:
Federal law bans public schools from denying admission to illegal immigrants. Between 50,000 and 70,000 of them graduate each year from American high schools, up to 16,000 of them in Texas. No such law exists for public universities, though 10 states including Texas provide some form of in-state tuition aid to illegal immigrants.
There is a conflict here. If federal law bans public schools from denying admissions, then what are all the illegal aliens doing in classrooms across the country? What about the No Child Left Behind bill?

Old 06-28-2010, 05:43 PM

40 posts, read 41,032 times
Time to sue major universities. I'm not given any free money to go to college.

I love how all of this is being exposed. Sooner rather than later things will get fixed. America is waking up!

Old 06-29-2010, 08:03 AM

15,849 posts, read 21,402,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePeople View Post
Time to sue major universities. I'm not given any free money to go to college.
Why not? If you didn't work hard enough in high school to get scholarships and grants, why should we be upset that an illegal did?

I find it impossible to blame a kid who got brought here illegally when he or she was a toddler for doing well in our school systems when many native born kids can't be bothered. I know how hard I worked to get my scholarships and to get into the top universities in this country and I didn't have to worry about my legal status, language barriers, or anything like that. You can't blame kids for the sins of their fathers. In fact, we should be encouraging all kids to work as hard at school. If our kids aren't working hard enough to get into schools or get scholarships, we should be asking why that is rather than pointing the finger at someone else.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:05 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,619,691 times
Too much drama and hysteria - there is nothing stopping these young illegals from earning and learning back in their own countries.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,619,691 times
And contrary to the rubbish spieled by the open borders crowd, Mexico has universities, and some very fine ones.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:09 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,887,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Take your frustration out on the school, they can admit anyone they want from wherever they want.
Actually the responsibility lays directly on the shoulders of the state and their Board of Regents for the state funded universities.

Why should illegals not be forced to go through the same student visa process as any other non-citizen?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:10 AM

442 posts, read 964,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And contrary to the rubbish spieled by the open borders crowd, Mexico has universities, and some very fine ones.
And if they have good grades there (Mexico) their education is paid for by the government. This is why they come here for free education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration