U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:36 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,427,088 times

Advertisements

dont need to. only need to slow it down to a trickle.
we did. san diego (san ysidro) fence did the trick. that is why it moved east.
kerry gave the AZ and NM solution during the bush debates. live scan finger print pads everywhere for everybody 24/7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 02:06 PM

4,274 posts, read 7,889,300 times
Probably the reason why she said it is because there is so much international commerce through the legal ports of entry that it is not possible to check everything expediently. People smuggle things through there every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
These are the words of Janet Napolitano in answer to questions concerning sealing the border with Mexico. This woman used to be the Governor of Arizona and I am sure glad she is the head of Homeland Security. Just think, if she hadn't been moved to DC she would have vetoed that Arizona law about illegal aliens and we wouldn't be having all the fun.

Of course, Napolitano is supporting Obama about the not securing the border until Republicans support comprehensive immigration reform. Did Obama tell Senator Kyl that he couldn't allow closing of the border before he got immigration reform? Well Kyl says he did and spokesmen for Obama say it didn't happen. Two men in the room, Obama and Kyl, and these guys know what was said? Pelosi is all I can say about that.

Sealing that border with words in English will never work as well as properly shaped fences and armed guards.

CNSNews.com - Napolitano: (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=68494 - broken link)

Old 06-30-2010, 07:33 PM

364 posts, read 184,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think the point is you can never really SEAL a border without killing a bunch of people (mines? machine guns? alligators..hahha?). That's what it comes down to. Many people are fine with that, other people aren't. And very few would want to be on the trigger end pointing at a bunch of kids.

Come up with better ways or it's just not going to happen.
ppl are becomin mor pissed
if your family was hurt or killed
by an ilegal alien
you would see red
even if tha perps were kids

Old 06-30-2010, 07:35 PM

364 posts, read 184,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
First of all, your "stampede" numbers are exaggarated. No way 3,000 to 5,000 people a DAY are coming across the border. Where do people get these numbers from anyway? I'd be interested to see if anyone can come up with a citation about this.

Secondly, putting the NG on the border won't accomplish much because they won't be any more armed than the Border Patrol is. If they armed them to the teeth and put them in a line along the border it would be seen as announcing a "war" on Mexico. Not that I have anything against that, in a way, but that would only mean that Mexico would do the same and then there'd be a REAL war between both armies. Do we REALLY want that?
tha way things are goin in mexico
we may need to send our armed forces there
look at jurez
since mexico cant stop there drug gangs
tha mexican army is junk

Old 06-30-2010, 08:52 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
The police should have the authority to request anyone to show proof of their legal status. A Chinese wall is not the solution.

The Arizona law should be expanded to the other 49 states and Puerto Rico.
You can never stop heat loss from your house. Not completely. But you insulate, you use weather stripping, double or triple pane windows etc.
A wall or a fence is the same idea. You control as many of the leaks as possible. In regards to a fence or wall. This works the same as on a farm. You limit the areas that animals can escape. Much easier to manage a few areas than an entire border.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:27 PM

8,256 posts, read 9,105,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
We may not want that but the situation may merit that. We have to protect and secure our borders at all costs.
I'm not so sure about the "at all costs". I would absolutely hate to see a bloodbath like that could bring about. It's bad enough as it is. You think we get villified now??? HA! This is nothing compared to what it would be if we...or even they!...started an out and out war. No thanks.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:32 PM

8,256 posts, read 9,105,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJackson1980 View Post
tha way things are goin in mexico
we may need to send our armed forces there
look at jurez
since mexico cant stop there drug gangs
tha mexican army is junk
Juarez has way bigger problems that AZ does. The Mexican Army COULD stop the drug gangs...if they wanted to. I can't say this with all honesty, because I don't know, but I'd bet there's a LOT of payoffs going on between the cartels, cops and military on the border. There have even been cases prosecuted in the US with a few greedy Border Patrol people taking bribes and payoffs. There's no accounting for people's greed.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:21 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,026,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You can never stop heat loss from your house. Not completely. But you insulate, you use weather stripping, double or triple pane windows etc.
A wall or a fence is the same idea. You control as many of the leaks as possible. In regards to a fence or wall. This works the same as on a farm. You limit the areas that animals can escape. Much easier to manage a few areas than an entire border.
That sounds too easy! We must always remember that common sense died.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:41 PM

17,022 posts, read 9,070,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No we can't. We live in a very real world, not a utopia.

So we give up?
Don't try to achieve 80, 90% success, any of which lessens a problem?

Doesn't sound like you're living in a "very real world" to me.
Unless you don't put your (if it is your) country first within it's borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or