U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:02 AM

4,272 posts, read 7,889,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
So, if we legalize all drugs, that's supposed to harm the dope dealers ? I think it would be bad to have a nation full of "legal" meth addicts. I don't want to see people covered with scabs, and rotten teeth draining the taxpayer system as they get "treated" for their legal/sanctified addictions. That makes no sense. Heroin legal ? OH GREAT !!! But wait ! It took a dealer off the streets. Don't tell me. he's now a church deacon, right ?
But I said legalize drugs that are lesser/that do not cause major societal problems. I would not advocate for legalizing heroin, cocaine, crack, etc. I probably wouldn't legalize meth either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 11:34 AM

7,624 posts, read 8,119,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
But I said legalize drugs that are lesser/that do not cause major societal problems. I would not advocate for legalizing heroin, cocaine, crack, etc. I probably wouldn't legalize meth either.
Sounds like my idea; legalize marijuana but make possession of everything else a mandatory death sentence.

Who keeps funding the Taliban? The Americans who keep using heroin and cocaine produced in Afghanistan. They are traitors and are facilitating the enemy ... hence they are guilty of treason. The kid down the street trying to get a high just gave $5 to the Taliban who can now go buy more bombs and bullets to kill our servicemen and women.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:34 PM

4,272 posts, read 7,889,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Sounds like my idea; legalize marijuana but make possession of everything else a mandatory death sentence.

Who keeps funding the Taliban? The Americans who keep using heroin and cocaine produced in Afghanistan. They are traitors and are facilitating the enemy ... hence they are guilty of treason. The kid down the street trying to get a high just gave $5 to the Taliban who can now go buy more bombs and bullets to kill our servicemen and women.
AFAIK the heroin and cocaine in Europe usually comes from Afghanistan, while this may not necessarily be the case for USA products.

I do support treason charges against people who distribute drugs that are known to come from Afghanistan.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:48 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
The cartels will just push more heroin, cocaine, crack, meth, date rape drugs and whatever else if you somehow cut them out of pot profits, although I would seriously doubt they would give up one inch of the pot business.

They would still have the ideal set up - open borders, now legal products. They would still have the incredible greed that makes them kill any competition, and they would still have the advantage of living in their own country to evade any kind of USA law that doesn't suit them. They could kill any American doper that tries to compete for pot farm profits but by living in Mexico, they can't be touched -- just like now.

Legalization would make it all the easier for them, but they would kill Americans just like they kill their paisas now. They don't love us more or anything like that.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:16 PM

1,092 posts, read 917,604 times
Default You folks just don't get it.

Increasing the penalties for drugs to the death penalty has not worked in SouthEast Asia or in muslim countries, people there still use drugs. And you are not going to get the farmers in Afganistan to stop growing poppies until Europe stops buying it. Most American cocaine comes from South America and attempts to eradicate it in Columbia and the other South American producers have met with limited "success" at best. Gee the DEA says that the Mexican Cartels are in every city in the USA, I guess we need to up the DEA budget, after all they have been doing such a great job with this War on Drugs stategy these past 40 years. More of the same violence and death makes sense. Really? Why not try a different approach, starting with taking the profit out of drugs? We need to treat the problem at the source, that is our own country, and look at drug abuse (not use) as a medical problem requiring rehab. Taking the causual user out of the population and putting them in prison is a poor use of resources and just makes taxes go up to pay for that incarceration. Once they have a record it will be extremely hard for them to become productive members of society again. Do you really want to expand the numbers of the under class whose only option is often to go in to criminal activity to support themselves since all legitimate employment has been closed to them? Once you accept the reality that drugs are here to stay, legalization is a better option for society in every way. Not only is a rehabilitation approach cheaper, it works better. Going to prison does nothing for addiction and only introduces the offender to other drugs, and the people that sell them. If marijuana were legal in the US then US farmers would be competing with the cartels. Guess what? Don't underestimate the abilities of the American farmer. Not only does at least 40% or more of the marijuana consumed in America come from local growers now, but we would cut off the cartels from at least 60% of their income, generate tax revenue, help those who are addicted by sending them to rehab, and really get a handle on our drug problem for the first time in 40 years. Prohibition does not work, or have you not been paying attention these last 40 years? Regulation, taxation and rehab for abusers does. That's what we did after alcohol prohibition was rescinded and that has worked much better than shooting up the streets going after bootleggers and mobsters. You should be asking yourself why Americans are so quick to go for a violent "solution" any time we have a problem. Violence rarely works, it clearly hasn't in this instance. The Mexicans, Columbians and all the rest are only responding to a high demand item with a low opportunity cost and a high profit margin. The profit margin would be greatly reduced if it were legal. It might even go to zero if enough people decided to grow their own. This would have a big effect on these groups, and don't think switching to other drugs would be so easy for the cartels, the market for them is miniscule compared to the market for marijuana. They would more likely switch to more crimes in their own countries, like abduction and extortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or