Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 07:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
OK, thanks for that. It may not be an obscure term but I'm more informed than like 90% of people and I'd never heard it. It's always helpful to include a definition or a link when trying to start a constructive discussion.

You know what, it comes down to disagreeing with federal policy. There were northern cities that refused to provide local law enforcement to enforce the fugitive slave laws. The City of Miami refused to provide law enforcement to assist in the repatriation of Elian Gonzales. These cities do not attempt to supersede Federal superiority in Immigration Law like the State of Arizona does, which is the fundamental difference IMO.
So if the Fed doesn't enforce it and the locals don't enforce it that makes it ok ?

But if the Fed doesn't enforce it and the locals DO enforce it then it's wrong ?

And there was way more to the story of Elian Gonzales than what was in the national press. I lived in S. Florida during that period.
What was a family court matter got totally blown out of proportion for political reasons; that little boy was a pawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 07:49 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And there was way more to the story of Elian Gonzales than what was in the national press. I lived in S. Florida during that period.
What was a family court matter got totally blown out of proportion for political reasons; that little boy was a pawn.
You are correct, Elian's mother died, his father lived in Cuba. They rightfully, returned him to his father.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:49 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So if the Fed doesn't enforce it and the locals don't enforce it that makes it ok ?

But if the Fed doesn't enforce it and the locals DO enforce it then it's wrong ?

The Federal government has a responsibility to enforce federal law. That said, it's not possible to deport every single illegal in this country. We need to change the federal law.

I admittedly don't know a lot about the Elian Gonzales story. I was only 12 at the time. I did think that reuniting him with his father in Cuba was the right thing to do, and still do.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:06 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
I'm not any Legal Eagle. Is that technically an illegal thing to do? Or is there some type of legal loophole out? If not, could people start a petition or do anything to insist the Feds start to sue these "sanctuary cities?"
I am not either but, we have laws against coming into our country illegally and if you do you become an illegal alien. It seems to me that by pretermitting these criminals, you are aiding and abetting.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:07 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Quote:
The Federal government has a responsibility to enforce federal law. That said, it's not possible to deport every single illegal in this country. We need to change the federal law.

I admittedly don't know a lot about the Elian Gonzales story. I was only 12 at the time. I did think that reuniting him with his father in Cuba was the right thing to do, and still do.
He is a communist now.

He was a pawn and still is a pawn for Fidel so Fidel can claim a victory of America.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:09 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Supposedly Arizona is getting sued because they've "pre-empted federal law", well so have sanctuary cities, yet there are no lawsuits against them. Hmmm........
They've been sanctuary cities for decades. Has any DoJ ever sued them? I dont know. Maybe you've researched this.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:09 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Supposedly Arizona is getting sued because they've "pre-empted federal law", well so have sanctuary cities, yet there are no lawsuits against them. Hmmm........

Because it isn't against Federal Law.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:10 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
They've been sanctuary cities for decades. Has any DoJ ever sued them? I dont know. Maybe you've researched this.

Obviously not. Just another case of manufactured outrage. The list of this nonsense keeps growing.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:14 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:
So we should simply leave them all alone?

If you lived in a 10,000 square foot home and you knew that there was a burglar somewhere in that home, would you choose to let him stay simply because you could not locate him?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:18 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Because it isn't against Federal Law.
So I suppose the residents of these "sanctuary cities" can refuse to pay their federal income tax as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration