Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:40 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Let me make it clear that I'm against the law in Arizona. It's not as simple as "Illegal is illegal" and "The law is unconstitutional".
When is an illegal not an illegal?

You're in the minority as far as support for the Arizona law is concerned.

Brewer is getting donations from all over the country for the defense against the Federal lawsuit. Last I heard, $500,000 has come in from people.

Nice going, Obama - to waste the taxpayers' money by suing Arizona for upholding Federal law. Rhode Island has had a similar law in place for a long time, and has quietly been enforcing it. Why doesn't Obama sue RI? Not enough votes to be gained, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 08:41 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
You should read the article.
I dont wanna.... just tell me. Does it compare the language of the two laws?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I dont wanna.... just tell me. Does it compare the language of the two laws?
LOL.....

Ignorance is bliss.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
So we should simply leave them all alone?

If you lived in a 10,000 square foot home and you knew that there was a burglar somewhere in that home, would you choose to let him stay simply because you could not locate him?
Or, because the poor guy "just wanted a better life for his family..." Don't you have a heart?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
LOL.....

Ignorance is bliss.
You should know. At least Im asking.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
So we should simply leave them all alone?

If you lived in a 10,000 square foot home and you knew that there was a burglar somewhere in that home, would you choose to let him stay simply because you could not locate him?
And the burglar was driven to and let into your house by the chicken-plucking factory owner down the street?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:49 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,190,417 times
For those who say we cannot deport all of them I say, yes we can, just not all at once. If we get started, I believe most will go home on there own but they have to be given a reason to do so.

It is reported that illegals are leaving en mass from Arizona because of the new law.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:09 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
"The U.S. Constitution does not have a provision for immigration sanctuary, and there is no legal precedent for it in the history of the United States of America.

When U.S. cities and even entire states declare themselves to be "sanctuaries" for illegal aliens, they act outside the law, and by their actions could be charged with a felony for each violation of federal law by "concealing, harboring, or sheltering illegal aliens" (8 U.S. Code, sections 1324 and 1325; Immigration and Naturalization Act sections 274 and 275).

Illegal entry into the United States — entry without inspection — is a misdemeanor, INA section 275, (8 USC Section 1324). Repeated illegal entry is a felony."

There is a loophole in the law that sanctuary cities can exploit. This is why the DOJ doesn't pursue the matter. There have been several attempts to close this loophole, so far, all have been unsuccessful. I think it's considered again in the current immigration reform bill.

''(g)(1) Notwithstanding section 1342 of title 31, United States Code, the Attorney General may enter into a written agreement with a State, or any political subdivision of a State, pursuant to which an officer or employee of the State or subdivision, who is determined by the Attorney General to be qualified to perform a function of an immigration officer in relation to the investigation, apprehension, or detention of aliens in the United States (including the transportation of such aliens across State lines to detention centers), may carry out such function at the expense of the State or political sub-division and to the extent consistent with State and local law.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=22092

Old 07-09-2010, 09:18 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,190,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
There is a loophole in the law that sanctuary cities can exploit. This is why the DOJ doesn't pursue the matter. There have been several attempts to close this loophole, so far, all have been unsuccessful. I think it's considered again in the current immigration reform bill.

Restoring the Rule of Law: Eliminating Sanctuary Cities - HUMAN EVENTS
So the loophole is to handcuff their LEO"S and not allow them to even pursue if they are illegal via the "don't ask don't tell" method.

This is the exact loophole that Arizona is closing and are being sued for it by our federal government.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:39 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
So the loophole is to handcuff their LEO"S and not allow them to even pursue if they are illegal via the "don't ask don't tell" method.

This is the exact loophole that Arizona is closing and are being sued for it by our federal government.

The loophole is in the federal law, not state. What needs to be done is to close the loophole. The DOJ can't pursue a case if it does not violate Federal Law, no matter what the pundits declare.

I'm not saying the loophole is acceptable, but it is what it is, and nobody in the government, in more than one administration, has been successful in closing it. My suggestion is to write your Senator and reps in Washington and push this reform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration