Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:18 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Why is that a problem? The people protesting SB1070 certainly focus on their own ethnicity.
How can they not? The legislation inherently puts the focus on one ethnicity. How many Canadian snowbirds do you suppose will get pulled over and questioned in Arizona due to this law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 02:27 PM

8,608 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
How can they not? The legislation inherently puts the focus on one ethnicity. How many Canadian snowbirds do you suppose will get pulled over and questioned in Arizona due to this law?

Why would any legal citizen be worried? In addition, they obviously still do not understand the law, even though it has been drilled and drilled and drilled into them what it is. If they still do not understand it, or haven't taken the time to read it, then that is their fault for being ignorant.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:28 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
How many snow birds are there here illegally?
I am a troubleshooter where I work. If my machine is failing I go after root cause and the biggest problems first.
The fact remains that illegals who are also hispanic account for the vast majority of illegals, especially in AZ. It would be stupid to focus on illegals from Greenland just so you can say we are being fair. Sort of like it is stupid to divert resourses from the Southern border to our Northern border. Canadians are not the problem, or they are a very small fraction of the problem.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:40 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,936,374 times
Quote:
I don't see how Arizona SB1070 "inherently puts the focus on one ethnicity". Are you saying that illegal migration is a racial phenomena that is limited to one ethnicity, and that being those of Hispanic descent? Wouldn't that type of reasoning itself be brought about by racism?

IOW, how can one conclude that the Arizona law will "focus on one ethnicity" (in this case Hispanics), without themselves being subjugated and bearing witness to their own inherent racism?

Old 07-16-2010, 04:17 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,515,515 times
well imagine that

Thursday's hearing involved the legal challenge filed by Phoenix police Officer David Salgado and the non-profit group Chicanos Por La Causa.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:12 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
"An Arizona police officer has demanded that US federal courts stop a racist law ordering his force to crack down on migrants and immigrants before it begins at the end of the month"

Officer battles Arizona over immigration law / World / Home - Morning Star

You're Fired Sound Bite

Old 07-16-2010, 05:15 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:

Maybe if they don't speak English, have a car that's unregistered and uninsured, and have no driver's license they might get questioned.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Why would any legal citizen be worried? In addition, they obviously still do not understand the law, even though it has been drilled and drilled and drilled into them what it is. If they still do not understand it, or haven't taken the time to read it, then that is their fault for being ignorant.
Because, Liam, American citizens should not have to go through the burden of being pulled over by law enforcement when they are innocent. Racial profiling will increase with this law. I suppose if my name were Liam, I wouldn't be too worried if I were in Arizona, even if I were an illegal immigrant from Ireland. On the other hand, if I'm a dark skinned American citizen of Mexican decent named Jose, I would be quite worried. Such a potential expansion in police authority should concern all citizens.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:15 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times
Quote:
Well, considering the fact that one must be pulled over during the commission of a traffic violation or crime, I would imagine that the number would most certainly be all of those "snowbirds" who fit into one of the aforementioned categories. I'm sure that once they produce that Canadian drivers license, further questioning will be in order.

Please read the law. You've continued to erroneously refer to people being pulled over and asked for their "papers" when the law specifically states that a person may be questioned only after they are pulled over for a traffic violation or are arrested during the commission of a crime and have given officers probable cause to inquire into their immigration status. Lack of a drivers license or insurance is certainly an indication that something is awry--and it IS against the law to drive without the two.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Well, considering the fact that one must be pulled over during the commission of a traffic violation or crime, I would imagine that the number would most certainly be all of those "snowbirds" who fit into one of the aforementioned categories. I'm sure that once they produce that Canadian drivers license, further questioning will be in order.
All a law enforcement office needs is probable cause. In law, no word trumps "probable" when it comes ambiguity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration