U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:04 PM

13,689 posts, read 15,342,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave
Come visit Westbury and see for yourself. The community is overrun with illegals and gangs. Storefronts which once housed mom and pop businesses, from which hung signs in English, sit either vacant or house businesses which cater specifically to an Hispanic clientele, advertising their services en Espanol. I can believe the community is choke full of people. some of which are illegal. however storefronts that sit empty can be found in every major urban city. signs catering to spanish speakers can also be found in communities where spanish speaking people live both legal and not. I have a problem that it is easy for a lot of folks to just assume people hanging out and speaking spanish are evil immoral illegals. which is pretty much what our film makers clip is conveying. That would be understandable if Westbury were a major urban area. As someone, half of whose family is ESL, I am aware that speaking Spanish does not equate one with being illegal; however when you see groups of men lolling about, speaking in Spanish and generally not doing anything productive, you have to question legality.

Come visit Westbury with an attractive young woman and walk through the neighborhoods. Watch the men in the doorways grab themselves and make lewd gestures as they crow obscenities. Check out the young people cruising around wearing colors, look closely at buildings where, for the umpteenth time, the owner has painted over gang tags. in many inner cities across america you would not want to take an attractive lady. there are some construction sites in fine areas I would also not want to walk by as an attractive woman for the lewd gestures either. this is not an illegal only thing. neither is wearing colors and tagging walls with spray paint. Again, this is not an inner city, not an urban area. It is a suburb which until twenty something years ago was a very nice community to work, live and shop in.

Come visit Westbury and look at the plethora of flags hung from the windows -- not one an American flag. this alone does not mean illegal, but I am sure illegals do fly their flag. we see chinese script in china town, italian flags in little italy. are these things signs to you of illegal immigration? I don't know how they present themselves in HI, but here on LI they are very assertive about their ethnic pride flying their flags off cars, houses, their clothing, etc.

Men loiter in doorways, side streets and store fronts all day and evening. Seldom if ever do you see them walking with a wife, or family. Lots of men with very few women. Most legal immigrants are here with their families. Most illegals come solo. I think this is the closest you have come to maybe a real indicator someone might be illegal. however not all single hispanic men hanging out on the corner, illegal. but it is sure easy to paint them as such. Thank you. This is a serious problem as many of these men also live in large groups within one house/apartment and such overcrowding has led to tragic endings -- loss of life in fires. Also, if you noticed in John's video -- the apartment house with all the wires running to the satellite dish -- they have one dish and everyone's sharing. Our local cable company considers this theft of service.

Legal immigrants hold down jobs and do not gather on corners as day laborers working for cash. Legal immigrants come to this country because they want to be here, not to milk it and run. agreed

Legal immigrants tend to learn the language and the customs; unlike illegals who want us to cater to them. some legal immigrants learn the language not all. Most tend to try -- I know one Italian man who had a really hard time with English; we still could communicate, but he was trying his hardest.

Granted, JohninWestbury's video skills can use some polish and refinement, but he is speaking the truth. I have no doubt his clip speaks his truth. like many who posted in this thread it looks more like a gripe about people on the sidewalk and advert signs. if he truly thought about what were the problems he could demonstrate it a far better way. Yes, better editing and a thought out process would be best for making his point, but his video does have a from the heart quality about it.

He is trying to be part of the solution to a problem. What are you doing about it, other than sitting anonymously at your keyboard sitting in judgment of a fellow American citizen?

we are both sitting behind a key board are we not? I can not solve many problems the USA faces. for illegal immigration I do not hire illegals nor do I house them or supply documentation. I do write my representatives about many issues that concern me and this is one. what would you have me do? what do you do?
You are fortunate to be living in a place which has been as greatly impacted by illegal immigration. We write reps, protest. I own a contracting business and ALL my employees and subs are checked on and legal. It's frustrating when you lose work to some ^%^%$*^ who is hiring illegals and paying them dirt. We fight to have employers punished.

I have no problem with legal immigration -- I welcome anyone who wants to be here and wants to contribute to make the USA a better place. It's the illegals who break the law entering and have the nerve to make demands upon us, and who drain our resources while they send money out of this country, with whom I take issue.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:16 PM

9,536 posts, read 6,565,826 times
I applaud you not hiring illegals I would imagine it is very frustrating to have a competitor hire cheap illegal help. I do understand people being upset with the influx of people who are illegal hanging out, causing trouble and making one's city a place you no longer want to live.
I wish we would enforce the laws we do have. I think we should go after the employer's who hire illegals with hefty fines. I want the churches in the community to help more than they do. I will always support the law, however I find it bewildering to say the least that people can look at a hispanic youth hanging out at the 7-11 and automatically think the kid is illegal. magnify that tenfold and we have people who assume just about every large group of hispanics are illegal, which make for a justifiable reason to discriminate against them. there has to be a happy medium somewhere.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:51 PM

14,307 posts, read 5,971,521 times
Quote:
I applaud you not hiring illegals I would imagine it is very frustrating to have a competitor hire cheap illegal help. I do understand people being upset with the influx of people who are illegal hanging out, causing trouble and making one's city a place you no longer want to live.
I wish we would enforce the laws we do have. I think we should go after the employer's who hire illegals with hefty fines. I want the churches in the community to help more than they do. I will always support the law, however I find it bewildering to say the least that people can look at a hispanic youth hanging out at the 7-11 and automatically think the kid is illegal. magnify that tenfold and we have people who assume just about every large group of hispanics are illegal, which make for a justifiable reason to discriminate against them. there has to be a happy medium somewhere.
You're exaggerating. It is only a small minority of people who look at any Hispanic and automatically think they are illegal.

What are Hispanics doing to change their image with this small minority? Are they standing up for the rule of law and denouncing illegal immigration? I think your answer may lay in that question. Sometimes we can be our own worse enemy. Know what I mean?

Old 07-24-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
A problem here is that the churches protect the illegals. We have one pot stirrer, Rev. Allen Ramirez, who is the pastor of one of the oldest churches in a very wealthy area of Nassau County. He champions the illegals and is a true media hoar -- LI's Hispanic version of Al Sharpton.

He is political poison should one wind up on his bad side. He has been at loggerheads with the Suffolk County exec, accusing him of creating an atmosphere of hate in the wake of a racially motivated hate crime. The County exec's crime? Standing up for legal residents and enforcing the law.

If you don't agree with his politics, you are a racist, a xenophobe, a hater. If you agree with him or finance him, you are charitable and a good person.
He uses his collar to promote his agenda.

Things are very bad on LI in general where illegal immigration is concerned. Groups of Hispanic men hanging out at a 7-11 in certain communities here are more than likely day laborers and most likely illegal. It might not be commonplace in HI to have such congregating at a store, and if it isn't, I pray it never happens there.

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 07-24-2010 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Had to mispell a word to circumvent filter.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:15 PM

9,536 posts, read 6,565,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
A problem here is that the churches protect the illegals. We have one pot stirrer, Rev. Allen Ramirez, who is the pastor of one of the oldest churches in a very wealthy area of Nassau County. He champions the illegals and is a true media hoar -- LI's Hispanic version of Al Sharpton.

He is political poison should one wind up on his bad side. He has been at loggerheads with the Suffolk County exec, accusing him of creating an atmosphere of hate in the wake of a racially motivated hate crime. The County exec's crime? Standing up for legal residents and enforcing the law.

If you don't agree with his politics, you are a racist, a xenophobe, a hater. If you agree with him or finance him, you are charitable and a good person.

Things are very bad on LI in general where illegal immigration is concerned. Groups of Hispanic men hanging out at a 7-11 in certain communities here are more than likely day laborers and most likely illegal. It might not be commonplace in HI to have such congregating at a store, and if it isn't, I pray it never happens there.
it is a shame some churches are too political. I would like to see the churches involved in helping educate, and feed, and help with health issues of their communities. legal and otherwise. I would hope if more churches stepped up helping in food and shelter then the welfare toll would be less. there are areas of this issue I don't think will ever get solved. too many people at cross purposes. hawaii has the same problems as every other place we just have them to a lesser degree because we are a smaller area.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:40 AM

14,307 posts, read 5,971,521 times
Quote:

That seems to be the tactics of the entire pro-illegal alien movement.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:14 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,245,259 times
Quote:

Its really pretty ironic that it's a pastor at a church in one of LI's wealthiest areas, is the spokesman for illegal aliens. It really shows just who wants them here, the rich snobs who hire them. It really burns me up when folks like these say how great the illegals are and how getting upset by them is "racist" yet they dont have to live with the problems of loitering, gangs, and a deteroirating quality of life.
If bodegas, men loitering on corners, and gang tags started popping up in Old Brookville they'd change their tune pretty fast.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:35 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,245,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
John, I didnt watch the whole thing, but how do you know this is the work of illegal aliens? Could you just explain how you know, without asking us to watch the whole thing? Thank you.

Also, regarding destruction and blight, you should bring your video to the next city council meeting, and have a reporter from your local newspaper come along with you. Just a thought. And keep that terrific title, "A walk through downtown Westbury on a summer evening."
The council knows full well about my videos. Last time I put them up, they were harassing my LL to force me to leave town. I also spoke at several village meetings, esp after I got attacked by a loose pit bull that ran out of a flophouse by the post office.
You ask how I know they are illegals? Well many businesses have wiring services that cater to them. If they weren't illegal, why are they wiring so much money back home?
They also get picked up and dropped off, I have seen it (though I need to film it). They dont speak or understand english well. The loitering is probably because they live in overcrowded homes and would rather sit outside, esp in summer. Legal immigrants would assimilate and not be loitering around, wiring money back home, and be racing tiny kids bikes down sidewalks wearing backpacks and dirty clothing.
Plus they've admitted to me that they ARE illegal. One particular group of them loitering confonted me and they admitted to me they were illegal, and "proud of it". And I got it on video. This happened last year and I have decided to re-upload the video.

YouTube - Proud to be illegal in Westbury

Old 07-25-2010, 09:40 PM

3,950 posts, read 1,953,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Again, what you aren't grasping is the changes he has seen occur in his town. It isn't due to legal immigration nor an all of a sudden influx of Hispanic citizens. He would know about his own hometown by living there and seeing these changes take place.

As I have said often in here all those signs in Spanish wouldn't be appearing if those who are making them didn't know there was a large population of illegals to be reached. Most Hispanic citizens and legal immigrants know how to speak English so there is no reasont to reach them in Spanish.
I can agree with that. That is what it is like for me in my hometown. We know that a certain population here is in its numbers because of illegal immigration. So, that, I can agree with.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Its really pretty ironic that it's a pastor at a church in one of LI's wealthiest areas, is the spokesman for illegal aliens. It really shows just who wants them here, the rich snobs who hire them. It really burns me up when folks like these say how great the illegals are and how getting upset by them is "racist" yet they dont have to live with the problems of loitering, gangs, and a deteroirating quality of life.
If bodegas, men loitering on corners, and gang tags started popping up in Old Brookville they'd change their tune pretty fast.
As long as they have the money to isolate themselves from the problem they won't complain. Just one mcmansion turn rooming house up there and they would be burning up the phone lines to their private PD and the village to change the laws.

It's ok for Jose and Maria to mow their lawn and scrub their toilets; it's something else when they live next door.

Hypocrites!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration