Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 10:28 PM

475 posts, read 508,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
So then what language are we writing in here? So we Americans who speak English are supposed to cave in to a vocal group who insists WE speak their language? When I have lived in other countries, I learned the language of that country. It's called respect.
English is the dominant language in the US but it is not official.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:34 PM

475 posts, read 508,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
As far as I am concerned, English is the official prevalent language in the US.
Wrong.

Many people are surprised to learn that the United States has no official language. As one of the major centers of commerce and trade, and a major English-speaking country, many assume that English is the country's official language. But despite efforts over the years, the United States has no official language.

Almost every session of Congress, an amendment to the Constitution is proposed in Congress to adopt English as the official language of the United States. Other efforts have attempted to take the easier route of changing the U.S. Code to make English the official language. As of this writing, the efforts have not been successful.

Here is the text of a proposed amendment. This particular bill was introduced in the House of Representatives as H.J. Res. 16 (107th Congress):

The English language shall be the official language of the United States. As the official language, the English language shall be used for all public acts including every order, resolution, vote, or election, and for all records and judicial proceedings of the Government of the United States and the governments of the several States.

Constitutional Topic: Official Language - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Old 05-20-2012, 07:21 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Wrong.

Many people are surprised to learn that the United States has no official language. As one of the major centers of commerce and trade, and a major English-speaking country, many assume that English is the country's official language. But despite efforts over the years, the United States has no official language.

Almost every session of Congress, an amendment to the Constitution is proposed in Congress to adopt English as the official language of the United States. Other efforts have attempted to take the easier route of changing the U.S. Code to make English the official language. As of this writing, the efforts have not been successful.

Here is the text of a proposed amendment. This particular bill was introduced in the House of Representatives as H.J. Res. 16 (107th Congress):

The English language shall be the official language of the United States. As the official language, the English language shall be used for all public acts including every order, resolution, vote, or election, and for all records and judicial proceedings of the Government of the United States and the governments of the several States.

Constitutional Topic: Official Language - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
It is unfortunate that we don't have an official language. But then I'm sure that politicians are being paid royally to keep that "option" open.

Thanks for the link!

Old 05-20-2012, 07:32 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
It is unfortunate that we don't have an official language. But then I'm sure that politicians are being paid royally to keep that "option" open.

Thanks for the link!
Yes, it is unfortunate that the "official" English bills haven't gotten through congress. It was tried a couple of years ago but the Democrats and Harry Reid in particular called it racist. In otherwords they want to pander to the many Hispanics who would rather it be Spanish or for it to be on the same level as English. It's all about votes for them.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:36 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
English is the dominant language in the US but it is not official.
Remember that; English IS the dominant language here in the US. Spanish here in the US; unless talking with Hispanic illegal aliens is almost useless, it's like French in that way.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:52 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I had a Russian friend in high school, and once her parents came to visit for a weekend. At the time, they had been in the U.S. for 10 years, so I assumed they spoke English. Well, when they showed up at our door, they only knew a few words like "hello" and "thank you". Obviously I knew Russian, so we could communicate, but what really surprised me was the fact the mother had a job as a nurse--without knowing English! I can't remember what the father did, but he had a job too. I have no idea how they managed to be employed without knowing English, but they did.
Foreigners usually create/live in their own community. Brooklyn has a huge Russian population and the neighborhood is referred to as Little Odessa. Amongst all the businesses, there are medical centers which cater only to Russians. The woman you refer to probably worked in a clinic that catered strictly to Russians. Craigslist posts jobs in Brooklyn that specify "Russian speaking".

Old 05-20-2012, 11:51 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No, I'm not bothered by it. I'm glad my tax dollars are going toward teaching English to immigrants. It's important for them to learn the language, and my god - do you realize how cheap it is to run those programs? Many ESL teachers are even volunteers. I taught ESL for a short time myself.

If you want to get upset about your tax dollars being spent, I think there are a lot bigger things to worry about.
Of course typical fellow Californian response. Not bothered by illegals in the least.
I have many school teachers as friends specially in the I.E. region. The thing is many of these hispanic children are not learning English, they still speak spanish in class.
Some do, some do not. I was told that in some of the home situations, maybe one person speaks english, and that is it. So if the child sees that the parents are not going to take the time to learn English, maybe the child feels, why should they.
The thing is your tax dollars are being wasted, too many of these children are not, let me remind you not learning english.
It is very important for these children to learn our language, which by the way is ENGLISH, so why aren't all hispanic children learning english, as we were told they would. Too many teachers have told me the same thing, by not knowing english, this holds the teacher, the class, and the students down. And this is not fair, to students who do know the language.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:13 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,113 times
california-jewel wants to remind you that these kids are NOT learning English.

Obviously they are, but we have this thing here where we don't like, consult with facts or try to figure out facts or even care about facts. It's mostly anecdotes shared in a bit of a rage.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:32 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
california-jewel wants to remind you that these kids are NOT learning English.

Obviously they are, but we have this thing here where we don't like, consult with facts or try to figure out facts or even care about facts. It's mostly anecdotes shared in a bit of a rage.

They are not all learning english, and to say they all are, is a lie. A big lie. Talk to the teachers i know of would you like to do this personally. They will be happy to talk with you and let you know how disruptive these classes are, when students do not learn english.
And sorry Rockmadinejad; no it is not me, it is teachers in general, have a problem with them take it up with them.
I know of personally a couple of school systems, where the children no of no english at all, you do not find this disrputive to a class. It is. And once again, no it is not i, but teachers in general, who are having a hell of a time with these students, who prefer to stick with SPANISH! What the hell do you expect, when the parents are here illegally, and never bother to learn our language, maybe the kids feel, what is the need, you think!
Do not act as this is me talking, you do not know me, but teachers, have a right to how they feel.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:39 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,113 times
Oh, you're saying that they're not ALL learning English? As in, the number is somewhere under 100%. Well um, yeah.

And yes, I now realize that i should not act as if it is you talking. IT IS THE TEACHERS TALKING THROUGH YOU. How could I have been so blind?

FYI do not act as this is me talking. You do not know me. Act as if this is Jesus Christ speaking. Hear him out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration