U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:35 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,798,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
PRESS ONE TO SPEAK ENGLISH !

I notice now we the tax payers are setting up classes for immigrants to use english as a second language .

What the hell is wrong with just english and unless your home shut the hell up .

Aanyone else tied of the nerve these foreigners have when they come here with all their needs and want us to change for them ?
I'm glad they're learning how to speak English. Now perhaps when I have to go to a government building there will be someone there I can understand.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:12 PM

12,244 posts, read 7,354,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Actually... yeah they did. Have you never actually been to a historic Little Italy or China town? What language (for example) is all the signage in?

When my Sicilian great grandfather died after 40 years in Little Italy in 1963, he had learned a couple of other Italian dialects... but essentially no English.

So it is. So it has always been.
Same with my Italian grandparents and they died back in the 40s. If they had had English classes back then my grandparents would have been the first to sign up as they were very proud to be naturalized citizens. English classes are a good investment for the tax payers.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:19 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,031,710 times
Quote:

I notice now we the tax payers are setting up classes for immigrants to use english as a second language .

What the hell is wrong with just english and unless your home shut the hell up .

Aanyone else tied of the nerve these foreigners have when they come here with all their needs and want us to change for them ?
So you want all immigrants to be able to speak English...yet you're opposed to classes for immigrants to actually learn English?

Okay dokey...

Old 07-28-2010, 04:07 PM

2,350 posts, read 2,349,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
So you want all immigrants to be able to speak English...yet you're opposed to classes for immigrants to actually learn English?

Okay dokey...
Welcome to Conservative logic! Boggles the mind, doesn't it?

Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 PM

11,401 posts, read 16,012,641 times
My great great grandparents moved to the USA from Russia in the first part of the 20th centuries. Their children served in WWI and WWII but they lived their lives functioning ENTIRELY in Yiddish/Russian. Even some of my great grandparents and their siblings, born here, were more comfortable speaking Yiddish in most situations and conducted the businesses they opened here largely in Yiddish.

So this is nothing new.

Most ESL classes are taught by volunteers. The ones that aren't often charge a fee and have waiting lists (including the program at a multi-service center where I interned- 1 year waiting list).

Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 PM

85,013 posts, read 98,876,691 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Did Italians speak English when the stepped off the boat? Did Greeks or the French when they came from Quebec to work in the mills of New England? Did the Germans who moved to Chicago or Milwaukee? Were captured African slaves taught English on the boat ride over as a way of killing time?
Did this Country cater to immigrants in the past like they do now??
NO!If i speak spanish only i can literally get everything in spanish.
I could basically get by knowing not one word of english.
TV,Radio,Government forms,DL test,Customer service,etc
This has been answered in part, but I thought I'd add this link to the discussion.

Harvard Kennedy School - A Better Welcome for Our Nation's Immigrants

A century ago, religious, civic and business groups and government provided classes in English and citizenship. Historian Thomas P. Vadasz found that in Bethlehem, Pa., a thriving town of about 20,000, roughly two-thirds of whom were immigrants, the biggest employer, Bethlehem Steel, and the local YMCA offered free English instruction to thousands of immigrants in the early 20th century, even paying them to take classes. Today, immigrants face long waiting lists for English classes, even ones they pay for.

There have long been alternative language newspapers and so forth in the US. My in-laws come from a town in Nebraska with a huge Swedish population, and until fairly recently the restaurants had menus in Swedish. My church gave services in Swedish until some time in the 1960s, this in Boulder, Colorado.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:16 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,707,206 times
Quote:

There were over 500 languages and not one of them was English......when your pappy was getting off his disease infested immigrant boat.

Fvmpe cesse!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 PM

26,495 posts, read 24,235,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

Okay dokey...
Yes, apparently they're supposed to learn it back in Somalia before they come to the U.S.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:41 PM

3,858 posts, read 5,962,793 times
I was amused watching "Bait Car" last week. The cars were setup in south/central Los Angeles and the perps were mainly latino/cholo types. In the privacy of the stolen cars (w/ hidden cameras) they were speaking to each other in English (sounding like Chech in Cheech & Chong) - not Spanish. Either they were born here or were recent immigrants - but it shows that even the criminal elements are Americanizing & learning English.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:46 PM

640 posts, read 296,209 times
Quote:
I feel the love . Hey push back to exit the thread .

I think it will be the lungs first but at my age it could be the head .

What has this to do with the subject though ?
It was really, really funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration